Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 on sale now from $25  (Read 2097 times)

Offline KarelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 on sale now from $25
« on: October 21, 2020, 10:08:07 am »
"Over half of the seven million Raspberry Pi units we sell each year go into industrial and commercial applications,
from digital signage to thin clients to process automation. Many of these applications use the familiar single-board Raspberry Pi,
but for users who want a more compact or custom form factor, or on-board eMMC storage, Compute Module products
provide a simple way to move from a Raspberry Pi-based prototype to volume production."

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-compute-module-4/

"Compliance

Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 has undergone extensive compliance testing and meets the standards
required in many countries. You can find all compliance information and regional certificates at raspberrypi.org/compliance.

If you are integrating Compute Module 4 into a product and need assistance with compliance,
the Raspberry Pi Integrator Programme can help: more information and contact details here.

Obsolescence Statement

Compute Module 4 will remain in production until at least January 2028"

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:13:55 am by Karel »

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
Re: Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 on sale now from $25
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 06:09:35 pm »
Is it still using a Broadcom CPU that requires you to sign an NDA in blood to get a datasheet for the part?
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline aldi

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 08:39:02 am »
2020 -> no trusted/secure boot :o
This thing is useless.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 05:32:23 pm »
2020 -> no trusted/secure boot :o
This thing is useless.

Not every application needs trusted/secure boot.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 06:17:08 pm »
Not every application needs trusted/secure boot.
That's very true, but I would like to assure my client that their digital billboard, alarm monitor, process controller, crypto paypoint or IoT vending machine was secure from being reverse engineered by geeks at their weekend hackspace. The problem is secure boot requires secure keys, which in a commercial context, is another $25+ per module.

But > for those Pi-ing at home,  "Secure Boot Solution For Rasberry Pi from SwissBit" : ( on DigiKey ) https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/s/swissbit/secure-boot-solution-for-raspberry-pi

Offline KarelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:14:56 pm »
..., but I would like to assure my client that their digital billboard, alarm monitor, process controller, crypto paypoint or IoT vending machine was secure from being reverse engineered by geeks at their weekend hackspace.

Trusted boot protects against booting from a modified/unauthorized image. It does not protect against reverse engineering.
Or am I missing something?

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 10:14:45 pm »
Those applications that I mentioned are more likely to use a Pi Zero W board; which are cheap, supported and in long production. I'm not really sure where Compute modules sit in the market place or, what engineering problem they are trying to solve? Explain anyone? The Compute Module 4 IO Board makes the Compute module almost as big as the Pi4 that it's trying to minify.

compute-module-4-io-board https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/compute-module-4-io-board/?resellerType=home
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:20:06 pm by Syntax Error »

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 10:40:23 pm »
Those applications that I mentioned are more likely to use a Pi Zero W board; which are cheap, supported and in long production. I'm not really sure where Compute modules sit in the market place or, what engineering problem they are trying to solve? Explain anyone? The Compute Module 4 IO Board makes the Compute module almost as big as the Pi4 that it's trying to minify.

compute-module-4-io-board https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/compute-module-4-io-board/?resellerType=home

you can plug it into your own board and have the connectors where you want them

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 04:26:16 pm »
Is it still using a Broadcom CPU that requires you to sign an NDA in blood to get a datasheet for the part?

I admit this is one f*cking problem with the RPis. I'm sure this is part of what enables them to release them so cheap (they had a good deal with Broadcom), but this is really annoying for any "serious" use IMO.

Of course this is even more annoying if you ever want to use those boards/modules "baremetal", or adapt some OS for them that's not officially supported.
I started writing baremetal support code for the RPi4 a few months ago. Going baremetal would certainly allow a lot of very nice things. But beyond basic support, I was quickly limited due to the fact access to official documentation was almost impossible.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 09:47:39 pm »
you can plug it into your own board and have the connectors where you want them
Which sounds very nice; build your own device around the Pi4 core. But how much does this cost designing, prototyping, revising and delivering a functional 'boiler plate'? More than $25USD per unit.

I am a huge supporter of the British Tech Sector*, but I remain unconvinced this product is doing anything cheaper-faster-better than it's big brother (which is up to 8GB) or, it can out perform other embedded boards or PLCs with engineer friendly form factors.

*Shameless plug: https://www.great.gov.uk/international/content/about-uk/industries/technology/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf