Author Topic: Raspberry Pi4 Granted Official Vulkan 1.1 Conformance  (Read 4557 times)

Offline KarelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Raspberry Pi4 Granted Official Vulkan 1.1 Conformance
« on: October 26, 2021, 10:29:04 am »
It's now official with The Khronos Group signing off on the Vulkan 1.1 conformance test results for
the V3DV driver running on the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B single board computer.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Raspberry-Pi-4-Official-VLK-1.1

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/vulkan-update-version-1-1-conformance-for-raspberry-pi-4/

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Raspberry Pi4 Granted Official Vulkan 1.1 Conformance
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 10:36:03 am »
Does this means RPi doesn't depend on the proprietary GPU binary blob any more?

Later edit:
Searched for "Vulkan" and found out that Vulkan is a cross platform 3D API, so I guess the binary blob will still be needed.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 10:40:23 am by RoGeorge »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 05:19:37 pm »
I admit I don't really know the benefits of Vulkan compared to OpenGL, especially on a modest GPU. Any pointers?

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 10:43:15 pm »
Vulkan is basically the replacement for the OpenGL family of APIs, which as far as I understand are no longer being developed.  It's supposed to be lower CPU overhead and better able to make use of modern graphics pipelines than OpenGL.

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 04:58:48 pm »
Vulkan is basically the replacement for the OpenGL family of APIs, which as far as I understand are no longer being developed.  It's supposed to be lower CPU overhead and better able to make use of modern graphics pipelines than OpenGL.

Thanks. Never actually looked at Vulkan so far, I've only used OpenGL. I'll try to have a look.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 08:21:50 pm »
I haven't looked at Vulkan either (haven't done OpenGL stuff either recently), so I took a gander.

I'm running on a Debian-derivative, a mix of Ubuntu and Mate.  I happened to have the main libraries (libvulkan1) already installed, so after installing mesa-vulkan-drivers (I'm running Intel HD 620 built-in graphics) and vulkan-utils, both vulkaninfo and vulkan-smoketest worked fine; I do get obviously accelerated 3D.

The development package, libvulkan-dev, has both C and C++ headers, and even provides pkg-config files, so using `pkg-config --cflags vulkan` and `pkg-config --libs vulkan` in Makefiles suffices to add the necessary compile and link time flags.  Good.  The Khronos Group Vulkan-Samples github seems a good place to start development exploration; it contains links to further resources, too.

My first impression is that it is definitely verbose, even for me.  That's not a negative, though, because cross-platform compatibility often requires such verbosity; just an observation.  Some may find it irritating, but it looks like a lot of it can be abstracted away (identical code for similar use cases), so I guess I don't mind.  I do like the portability aspects of it a lot, even if it means one has to write more boilerplate code.

To be any more specific, I'd need to have a practical test case at hand to explore/solve/develop for, to construct an opinion.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 09:49:52 pm »
@Nominal Animal
I wonder if the Vulkan support could be also used for mpeg-compressing/decompressing video and audio stream (from the network) so it could accelerate applications like "Team-view" :-//
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 12:35:20 am »
@Nominal Animal
I wonder if the Vulkan support could be also used for mpeg-compressing/decompressing video and audio stream (from the network) so it could accelerate applications like "Team-view" :-//
As far as I can tell, it is work in progress (Vulkan Video).

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 12:43:17 am »
he Khronos Group Vulkan-Samples github seems a good place to start development exploration;

All samples seem to be strictly C++... but yes that gives a good idea.

My first impression is that it is definitely verbose, even for me.

Well, uh... definitely. Ouch. It frankly looks a bit much at first sight to me, and I even have a hard time figuring out what the code could be doing, whereas OpenGL was much easier to figure out.
I guess I'll need to RTFM.

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 02:58:06 am »
I'm not any kind of expert, I last did opengl programming a couple decades ago.  But my understanding is that vulkan is largely intended for engine developers.  If you just want to draw something they assume that you will use unity or whatever that can be built on top of vulkan.  It's supposed to be more like directx12 which I have also never used.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 06:53:31 pm »
Vulkan was first announced by the non-profit Khronos Group at GDC 2015.[14][20][21] The Vulkan API was initially referred to as the "next generation OpenGL initiative", or "OpenGL next"[22] by Khronos, but use of those names was discontinued when Vulkan was announced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf