Electronics > FPGA

Altera USB Blaster works only once

(1/5) > >>

Volta500:
Hello all,
I have just boldly started my adventure into FPGA's and almost immediately ran in to a problem: The JTAG programmer only works one time, then I have to remove and replug the USB cable for ONE more programming cycle. Replugging JTAG or repowering FPGA dev board has no effect. Quartus II produces the error "Error (209037): JTAG Server can't access selected programming hardware" the second time. In other words: Connect USB blaster to computer, Program OK, second time programming FAIL, replug usb, program OK, second time program FAIL etc etc.
FPGA is Altera Cyclone II EP2C5Q208, one cheap ebay USB blaster (problem?), Computer is 2.4GHz i7 with 24GB of ram running Kubuntu 13.04 64bit and Quartus II 13.0SP1 web edition.
I suspect that there is a problem with the usb driver on my computer in that it doesn't release the USB after it is done programming. Killing and restarting jtagd does not solve the problem. 
If really necessary I do have windows available in dual boot but I'd rather have it working under Linux. Although I might install Quartus under windows just to see if the problem persists, if it doesn't, it is certain that the problem is in the Linux USB driver.
It happens no matter if I run Quartus as root or normal user, and because it does work, I do not believe it is caused by insufficient permissions.

I might also ask this at a linux forum, but it is also electronics related so decided to post here.

EDIT: I just tried it on windows 7 and no problem at all, so this is a linux related issue. Im still hoping for a linux guru on the forum here to have a solution. Else I will have to try my luck on a linux forum.

marshallh:
Throw out your usb blaster ripoff and buy a clone (or original) with the same internal parts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altera-FPGA-CPLD-USB-Blaster-programmer-JTAG-cable-/280506472755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414f7d1933

All the other ones uses a fx2 , requires the computer to handle instant re-enumeration which Linux still seems to have a problem with.

os40la:

--- Quote from: marshallh on October 11, 2013, 11:59:21 pm ---Throw out your usb blaster ripoff and buy a clone (or original) with the same internal parts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altera-FPGA-CPLD-USB-Blaster-programmer-JTAG-cable-/280506472755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414f7d1933

All the other ones uses a fx2 , requires the computer to handle instant re-enumeration which Linux still seems to have a problem with.

--- End quote ---

Or throw out your Linux and go with windows.  :-//

tehmeme:

--- Quote from: os40la on October 12, 2013, 12:46:28 am ---Or throw out your Linux and go with windows.  :-//

--- End quote ---
I thought this thread was interesting before that comment, now, I just can't look away... ;)
oh wait, it's not a linux forum..  >:D

os40la:
Funny thing is.... I'm a MAC user running windows.  :-+

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version