Author Topic: Arrow DECA MAX 10 board for $37  (Read 40915 times)

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
Re: Arrow DECA MAX 10 board for $37
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2021, 06:43:56 pm »
 >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D
 >:D 500MHz/1GTPS >:D
 >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D

Error free, well, on my DECA board anyways...
So much for Altera's software DDR3 300MHz limit.
Though, the reported FMAX at 0C reads only 461MHz.
(This basically means 400MHz can now clear 85C model with 0 timing violations)

If anyone here would like to test my 1GHz controller for me on their DECA board, get the .sof programming file here and let me know:  (Please report any errors, 1GHz on a Max10 software controller should be impossible)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/fpga/brianhg_ddr3_controller-open-source-ddr3-controller/msg3630084/#msg3630084

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2021, 01:50:10 pm »
Deca board supposedly arriving on Wed, Brian. I’ll try and give it a go :)

The only downside to this board seems to be that they’re not manufacturing the device any more (according to digikey, anyway) so presumably the price reflects a “clearance sale” to get rid of inventory. Perhaps that explains some of the delivery woes as well…

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2021, 10:34:59 pm »
It's just the particular -6 which isn't available anymore, here are the currently available, (well not in stock) but still being made:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/embedded-fpgas-field-programmable-gate-array/696?s=N4IgjCBcoLQExVAYygFwE4FcCmAaEA9lANogCcIAugL7X4KSkBmADgOYCGABGAAwC2AVl5V8ANkQgAlgBMoIGHwj4WqeSHyoAni2zyOAZxS0gA

You can compile -7/-8 as a -6 & program, well, in the past I had no trouble making -8 operate faster than a -6.

My DDR3 code will run on a -8 up to 350MHz officially and to 400MHz on a -7 officially if you are willing to adjust the compiler settings and wait a little longer for the final build before production.  Otherwise, having a around 5-10 timing signals in the red by ~0.200ns on one clock only at 85C doesn't seem to affect my controller as the FPGA never gets that hot.

Also, I just finished testing Cyclone IV, it performs around 5-10% faster than the equivalent MAX 10.  With effort, you can get it to do a true 450MHz with all timing in the black.  No code changes.

Cyclone III has also been tested and it has same speed as the Max10, but you will need to go back to Quartus 13.0sp1.

I'm having trouble with Cyclone V because it has a different PLL and it's slower.

Here are the available Cyclone IV, (Basically the same as the MAX 10, but you need an external serial bootprom.)

Here are all the available CycloneIVs
https://www.findchips.com/search/ep4CE
When you see stock, do not click on the link and go to your distributor's website directly and re-type the number, otherwise some distributors like DIGIKEY will give you a false increased price just from linking in from 'FindChips'.

Right now, only Mouser seems to have any stock of larger Max10.
https://www.mouser.ca/c/semiconductors/programmable-logic-ics/fpga-field-programmable-gate-array/?q=max+10+fpga

Stay away from the few C9 fpga, I have not tested with them and they are usually for slow low power applications.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 10:47:08 pm by BrianHG »

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2021, 02:55:22 pm »
If anyone here would like to test my 1GHz controller for me on their DECA board, get the .sof programming file here and let me know:  (Please report any errors, 1GHz on a Max10 software controller should be impossible)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/fpga/brianhg_ddr3_controller-open-source-ddr3-controller/msg3630084/#msg3630084

I tried it on my Deca board and it works fine. The blue LEDs 2 to 7 are on.
Even though I will probably never need it, thanks Brian!
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2021, 03:24:04 pm »
Here are all the available CycloneIVs
https://www.findchips.com/search/ep4CE
When you see stock, do not click on the link and go to your distributor's website directly and re-type the number, otherwise some distributors like DIGIKEY will give you a false increased price just from linking in from 'FindChips'.
No it doesn't. It redirects you to DK's canadian website and so the price is in CAD$, same as on FindChips. I just verified it, the price is the same as you would see if you just search on DK's canadian website.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2021, 04:35:59 pm »

I tried it on my Deca board and it works fine. The blue LEDs 2 to 7 are on.
Even though I will probably never need it, thanks Brian!
6 out of 8 LEDs @1GTPS, shit that's good for a FPGA which supposed to only go to 600MTPS.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 05:42:31 pm by BrianHG »

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2021, 05:42:38 pm »
Note that each on LED represents 22.5 degrees tuning step where after 256 consecutive read burst tests, no data bit errors were found.  IE: 8 on leds/steps would be the perfect maximum possible 180 degrees of error free read clock phase tuning positions.

6 LEDs = 45 degree phase has read errors, 135 degrees with valid read data.

My DECA board runs that code with 5 LEDs, 67.5 degrees with read errors, 112.5 degrees with valid data.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 06:01:20 pm by BrianHG »

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2021, 08:58:50 pm »
So the board turned up - not bad since I ordered it on Sunday - and FREAKING $DEITY DOING DONUTS ON A UNICYCLE. Those blue LED's !!!

[sigh] Resistors, that's all it would take... I'm sure there's a competition amongst board designers to get the brightest, center-of-the-sun-brilliance LEDs onto their boards. Anyway, time to install Quartus this evening and see how it goes - you know, if I'm not blind by then.

I'm assuming the best one to install is the latest one (I've used Xilinx, Lattice and Efinix software, but strangely never Intel née Altera before...)

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2021, 09:23:33 pm »
So the board turned up - not bad since I ordered it on Sunday - and FREAKING $DEITY DOING DONUTS ON A UNICYCLE. Those blue LED's !!!
:-DD

The following users thanked this post: TK

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2021, 10:00:50 pm »
Yep, that research should have been locked in safe.  Giving a Nobel prize for it led to the killer LED.    :-\

The resistors are hard to replace.  Cut a small piece of yellow post-it, about the size of all the 8 LEDs together, and stick it on top.  If still too bright, repeat.   ;D

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2021, 10:32:49 pm »
I'm assuming the best one to install is the latest one (I've used Xilinx, Lattice and Efinix software, but strangely never Intel née Altera before...)
You might have better experience with the DECA board installing 16.1. I tried version 20 and it did not have the project templates for the DECA board. You also need to download the board CD from Terasic to run some demo. If you are creating empty projects with MAX 10 support, then latest version should be fine

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2021, 11:05:09 pm »
If you are a beginner with Quartus, begin with the Q16.1 and scan back 3-4 pages on this thread for all the source install files.

If you know how to use Quartus, Q20.1 is fine.  The DECA cd projects will still load and be upgraded to Q20.1.

Alsom if you are beginning a project from scratch, the .qsf files on the DECA CD projects contains the pinout definitions while any top hierarchy .v file will have all the IO defined.

Note that you can install multiple versions of Quartus.  They do not interfere with each other.

The following users thanked this post: TK

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2021, 06:02:21 am »
Looks like I'm diving into the deep end with 20.1 (which installs fine). I can't get 16.1 to get past the 'Installing Quartus Prime Help 16.1.0.196' dialogue - it runs the installer, and the log file looks clean...

Code: [Select]
Log started 08/24/2021 at 22:54:28
Preferred installation mode : unattended
Trying to init installer in mode unattended
Mode unattended successfully initialized
Preparing to Install
Preparing to Install
Unpacking files
Unpacking files
Unpacking files
Installing Quartus Prime Help files...
Executing /raid/opt/Quartus/16.1/quartus/common/help/unzip -q -o "/raid/opt/Quartus/16.1/quartus/common/help/webhelp.zip"
Script exit code: 0

Script output:

Script stderr:

Creating Uninstaller
Creating uninstaller 25%
Creating uninstaller 50%
Creating uninstaller 75%
Creating uninstaller 100%
Installation completed
Log finished 08/24/2021 at 22:54:37

... but the dialogue won't actually dismiss, and the installation just hangs (see thumbnail...)

:-//

The only thing I can do is click on 'Cancel' in the parent installer window, which then runs the uninstaller (!) so I end up without anything installed ...

Well, 20.1 installs fine. I'll just have to muddle through :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:04:04 am by SpacedCowboy »

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2021, 06:27:21 am »
Try installing 16.0 first.  16.1 might need a registry entry from 16.0.

I've successfully installed 13.0, 15.0 and 15.1 on a 64bit windows.

I believe that the DECA were done in Quartus 14.1.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:30:35 am by BrianHG »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2021, 01:21:53 pm »
Looks like I'm diving into the deep end with 20.1 (which installs fine). I can't get 16.1 to get past the 'Installing Quartus Prime Help 16.1.0.196' dialogue - it runs the installer, and the log file looks clean...

Log started 08/24/2021 at 22:54:28
Preferred installation mode : unattended
Trying to init installer in mode unattended
Mode unattended successfully initialized
Preparing to Install
Preparing to Install
Unpacking files
Unpacking files
Unpacking files
Installing Quartus Prime Help files...
Executing /raid/opt/Quartus/16.1/quartus/common/help/unzip -q -o "/raid/opt/Quartus/16.1/quartus/common/help/webhelp.zip"
Script exit code: 0

Script output:

Script stderr:

Creating Uninstaller
Creating uninstaller 25%
Creating uninstaller 50%
Creating uninstaller 75%
Creating uninstaller 100%
Installation completed
Log finished 08/24/2021 at 22:54:37

... but the dialogue won't actually dismiss, and the installation just hangs (see thumbnail...)

:-//

The only thing I can do is click on 'Cancel' in the parent installer window, which then runs the uninstaller (!) so I end up without anything installed ...

Well, 20.1 installs fine. I'll just have to muddle through :)
what OS are you using?

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2021, 04:32:16 pm »
I'm running Linux (in this case Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, on a real machine, not a virtualized one).

Seems like RoGeorge had it working in 15.1 (which the examples are for) so I might try that one as well...

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2021, 05:30:40 pm »
I'm running Linux (in this case Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, on a real machine, not a virtualized one).

Seems like RoGeorge had it working in 15.1 (which the examples are for) so I might try that one as well...
Ubuntu is unsupported. It still runs but you need to do some additional installations and setup to run modelsim-altera. Google how to run quartus and modelsim on ubuntu 20

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2021, 05:45:34 pm »
Without Modelsim, you wont be able to do any serious engineering.

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2021, 06:11:44 pm »
Thanks folks.

I'd foolishly looked at the supported operating system matrix, seen that Ubuntu 20 LTS was on there and had a tick next to the Lite version, and not read further down the rows to see that Modelsim was a separate line-item.

Doing this now, it seems like Nios EDS is only supported on old-SUSE (or Windows) as well, and I was kind of hoping to embed a soft processor into the fabric...

Perhaps I'm best off swallowing down my loathing for all things Microsoft and spinning up a Windows-10 license in a VM.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2021, 07:50:20 pm »
I followed instructions similar to this one: https://pcotret.github.io/modelsim-ubuntu/ and was able to run modelsim-altera on ubuntu 20.4 

The main issue is that modelsim-altera requires some 32-bit libraries that are not included in ubuntu.  The hack is to download the required libraries sources, compile in 32-bit mode, copy them into some directory and modify a script that launches modelsim.

I agree that the best option is to run it on Windows.  Everytime I get some strange error message on modelsim, I suspect it is due to running it on ubuntu, but it ends up being a different reason, but you are always suspecting it is ubuntu...

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2021, 08:10:43 pm »
Give Modelsim running stand-alone a test with a test-bench I wrote here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/fpga/systemverilog-example-testbench-which-saves-a-bmp-picture-and-executes-a-script/msg3465172/#msg3465172

To test if the Altera embedded libraries are working, you can run one of the test-benches in my DDR3 thread.

As for running Modelsim through Quartus, you will have to do that one on your own.
(I might add a PLL Modelsim tb which can be run through Quartus in my upcoming DDR3 release.  All my other DDR3 YBs were designed to run with Modelsim stand-alone.)

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2021, 08:42:15 pm »
Perhaps I'm best off swallowing down my loathing for all things Microsoft and spinning up a Windows-10 license in a VM.

That will be a funny setup, given that, AFAIK, the FPGA toolchains for either Xilinx or Altera were always developed on Linux, then ported to Windows, too.   ;D
Same for Modelsim.

On whatever OS you are using now, make a new virtual machine with a clean install of Ubuntu 20.04LTS.  I used Kubuntu and VirtualBox, but that's irrelevant.  Choose whatever you like most.  It takes at most 30 minutes and about 4GB.  That's nothing compared with the rest of the Altera installers.

That will give you the ability to make snapshots of the whole virtual machine, and to roll back from where you left in case any install doesn't work as expected, or in case you choose wrong installing option.  It will also give the advantage that you can isolate the virtual machine from internet, so to be sure 10 years from now no update will ever mess your install.

There is no visible loss in performance for a virtual machine.  And if you'll ever need more, you can allocate more processors, RAM or disks later.

There are 2 types of installers for any Altera version, one huge, and one where you install only what your board can use.  Use the former one.  From my the logs, I've used these components:
        https://download.altera.com/akdlm/software/acdsinst/15.1/185/ib_installers/QuartusLiteSetup-15.1.0.185-linux.run
        https://download.altera.com/akdlm/software/acdsinst/15.1/185/ib_installers/ModelSimSetup-15.1.0.185-linux.run

https://download.altera.com/akdlm/software/acdsinst/15.1/185/ib_installers/max10-15.1.0.185.qdz

https://download.altera.com/akdlm/software/acdsinst/15.1/185/ib_installers/QuartusHelpSetup-15.1.0.185-linux.run
        https://download.altera.com/akdlm/software/acdsinst/15.1/185/ib_installers/QuartusProgrammerSetup-15.1.0.185-linux.run

2021-04-30 04:22, Fri
=====================
- if missing libpng12.so.0, with launch error:

$ ./quartus
        quartus: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

- Download libpng12 for the correct Ubuntu version from
    - http://ppa.launchpad.net/linuxuprising/libpng12/ubuntu/pool/main/libp/libpng/
    (or e.g. for xenial - https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/libpng12-0/download)

- sudo dpkg -i ./libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1.1+1~ppa0~focal_amd64.deb
    (for ubuntu 20.04 focal fossa)

2021-05-02 01:47, Sun
=====================
- install wine in order to be able to run the DECA_SystemBuilder.exe project wizard (periferal definition)

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt update
    sudo apt install wine64 wine32
    wine --version

#if it doesn't exist already, create folder '/home/kubuntu/.local/share/application/'
    cp /usr/share/doc/wine/examples/wine.desktop $HOME/.local/share/applications/

Another note if later you want to install more recent versions, Quartus Pro is for Aria FPGA family, it does not support MAX10.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: September 05, 2021, 08:07:33 am »
Finally!!!!  (Damn javascript bug finally bypassed...)

My GitHub repository release:
https://github.com/BrianHGinc/BrianHG-DDR3-Controller

Offline Morgan127

• Contributor
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2021, 05:56:50 am »
Intel/Altera devices are now supported by Instant SOC. I.e. MAX 10 and the DECA board is also supported.
They have also a created an example for the DECA. Here you can find the DECA MAX 10 board tutorial.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf