Electronics > FPGA

Arrow DECA MAX 10 board for $37

<< < (39/39)

BrianHG:
 :scared:  Can somebody tell me which YOYO decided to wire the audio codec TLV320AIC3254 line-out jack to the audio codec's line out pins instead of the headphone out pins?  I mean, the entire difference is that the line out's A-weighted Dynamic range is 100db VS the headphone out being 99db.  Absolutely every other spec is the same except the headphone pins can drive a 16ohm load, IE: headphones directly.  Their decision to use the codec's line out designed to drive a 10k load means I now need to find separate transfer audio cables and a headphone amp just to use this tiny board.  I mean, couldn't they think a little or read the data sheet?

Maybe they only wanted people with a suite of analog audio equipment to accompany this DECA board just to hear any sound.

BrianHG:

--- Quote from: evb149 on August 14, 2022, 01:23:14 am ---Sounds like a bad design decision surely.  Though how much I'd trust the analog level audio quality / SNR / reliability / ESD protection from what's intended to be a cheap FPGA board would be small regardless of what interface they used.
I'd worry about frying the FPGA / board based on plugging the audio cable or something unless proven otherwise by CE testing and schematic review.

Anyway though highly inconvenient vs. a correct PCB design, surely there has to be basically an 3.5mm-stereo-line-in to buffer-op-amp / line driver to 3.5mm stereo line / headphone out with micro-USB power input chinese gadget for like $10/5pcs or something?  I'd probably buy or design / build / use something like that just to add some EMC filtering and ESD protection and "jack saver" lessening the amount I'd physically handle / plug into the "unprotected"/"naked" FPGA board to make an audio connection and similar for HDMI, ethernet switch, etc.

--- End quote ---

I mean really.  I have a project where I just want to demonstrate some audio to someone.  Now I need to carry a crap of audio equipment just to listen instead of just headphones.  It was merely the difference of moving 2 ping over to the left on the IC...

That audio IC would need a serious zap going into it before it made its way far enough through it to make it to the FPGA to damage that IC.  Otherwise, even my home PC with an audio codec chip on the motherboard must be in great danger every time I touch my headphones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version