Electronics > FPGA

BrianHG_DDR3_CONTROLLER open source DDR3 controller. NEW v1.50.

<< < (22/25) > >>

BrianHG:
Next I will make my own sync generator and replace the DECA example junk.
Fix a bug where only the current display mode of 1080p@32bit color functions properly.
And remove the 1-line dualport buffer for a minimal sized dual-port ram.

promach:

--- Quote ---I pipe enqueue multiple user request commands.  There are situations where a new bank may be activated while a previous write was just sent and a current burst is taking place.  This activate command is allowed immediately after the previous write command. 
--- End quote ---

Could the same bank interleave mechanism happen for write operations ?
And if yes, then I suppose there is no need for such pipe enqueue stuff ?

--- Quote ---every-time you switch between a read burst and write burst, there are a few dead 0 access clock cycles as the DDR3 needs time to transition from input to output.
--- End quote ---

Why few dead 0 access clock cycles ?

BrianHG:

--- Quote from: promach on December 12, 2021, 10:04:22 am ---
--- Quote ---I pipe enqueue multiple user request commands.  There are situations where a new bank may be activated while a previous write was just sent and a current burst is taking place.  This activate command is allowed immediately after the previous write command. 
--- End quote ---

Could the same bank interleave mechanism happen for write operations ?
And if yes, then I suppose there is no need for such pipe enqueue stuff ?

--- Quote ---every-time you switch between a read burst and write burst, there are a few dead 0 access clock cycles as the DDR3 needs time to transition from input to output.
--- End quote ---

Why few dead 0 access clock cycles ?

--- End quote ---
#1, Yes.  Opening and closing banks are separate of read and write data into any bank's activated row.  You may mess around with all other banks while you still are reading / writing on a different bank, or, at least give enough time for an ACT to become ready.
#2, Read the god damn DDR3 data sheet!  They have example illustrations on switching between read and write called read-to-write and write-to-read operations.  There are mandatory empty cycles as the DQ buffers and DQS switch direction and the DDR3 ram chip row amplifiers change drive current into the memory cap arrays.

promach:

--- Quote ---During an unbroken burst, you send a command every 4 clocks to maintain optimum efficiency.  This means with a full rate controller, you can stuff 3 new commands in-between.  With a half-rate controller, your controller can only be fast enough to add 1 command in-between. 
--- End quote ---

I think the number of in-between commands shall not be limited by whether it is full-rate or half-rate controller.
Since it would only be using simple if-else clocked logic (inside fast clock domain, maybe 500MHz in your case), your controller should be able to achieve such goal without suffering from STA setup timing violation.

Please correct me if wrong.

BrianHG:

--- Quote from: promach on December 14, 2021, 05:07:53 pm ---
--- Quote ---During an unbroken burst, you send a command every 4 clocks to maintain optimum efficiency.  This means with a full rate controller, you can stuff 3 new commands in-between.  With a half-rate controller, your controller can only be fast enough to add 1 command in-between. 
--- End quote ---

I think the number of in-between commands shall not be limited by whether it is full-rate or half-rate controller.
Since it would only be using simple if-else clocked logic (inside fast clock domain, maybe 500MHz in your case), your controller should be able to achieve such goal without suffering from STA setup timing violation.

Please correct me if wrong.

--- End quote ---
:-//  Ok, I have given you plenty enough already, just read my previous posts as the answer lies within.
Please stop asking for guidelines for altering your DDR3 controller here on my thread with my finished DDR3 controller.

This thread is for those who have issues or need help implementing 'MY' controller in their designs, and, for those who wish to share their success stories & examples implementations using my DDR3 controller system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version