Electronics > FPGA

BrianHG_DDR3_CONTROLLER open source DDR3 controller. NEW v1.60.

<< < (30/32) > >>

BrianHG:

--- Quote from: davemuscle on April 09, 2022, 03:45:19 am ---Final throughputs are 506 MB/s for UniPHY, and 497 MB/s for your core. It's entirely possible there is some loss of throughput from my bridge having to buffer commands, so I'd be interested in hearing if you've ever done a similar type of test (how much performance does the controller give over just the phy+pll?)

--- End quote ---

In half-rate mode using my full controller with the Multiport at 64bit, you should be approximately doubling your throughput.  However, you need to use my default parameters.  This means having a read stack set to 16 and write cache timeout set to 255, ect...

In my HDL comments, when I said if you were making a 'memory testing algorythm', I meant if you were trying to test the ram chip's memory cells, not the integrity of my controller.

My multiport is designed to squeeze together 2 consecutive 64bit chunks into more efficient 128bit packets for my controller.  So long as Avalon can perform back-to-back reads or writes at 150MHz at 64bit, my multiport will do the lifting for you.

BrianHG:

--- Quote from: davemuscle on April 09, 2022, 05:35:56 am ---It got a bit slower with BANK_ROW_ORDER = "BANK_ROW_COL", 1052606 microseconds for the whole RAM. My initial testing was with "ROW_BANK_COL". I'm not sure what should be the more appropriate setting for doing only large upward bursts.

--- End quote ---

With BANK_ROW_COL mode, if you divide your ram into 2/4/8 chunks and with my multiport, you assign for example 1 cpu onto bank 0, video onto 1&2, sound onto bank 3, Having the bank at the top of the address space means as each peripheral accesses it's own region of memory, that bank is remembered and kept open and as other peripherals access their own memory regions, their banks are opened and closed only as necessary.  It almost makes it as if you have 8 separate ram controllers.

This also helps if you are copying or processing huge sequential chunks of ram from an upper bank to a lower one as my ran controller knows to keep the 2 different section's rows simultaneously open during the transfer eliminating all the precharge and activate commands which would normally happen after each BL8.  Now, the precharge and activate only happens when a new row is required in either or both sections of ram you may be copying to and from.

BrianHG:

--- Quote from: davemuscle on April 09, 2022, 03:45:19 am ---I'm going to call you the winner, based on:

* the UniPHY core often fails timing unless you massage map/fit options into your build and watch the fitter spin for 4x as long
* your core can run faster than 300 MHz
* easier to simulate and include in a design:-+

--- End quote ---
You forgot the largest point.
IT'S FREE!!! and opensource.

davemuscle:
Assuming that all the TOGGLE_* parameters are kept the same, can the controller be used as a drop-in replacement for the PHY+PLL?

I've created a wrapper that allows you to switch between the two, kept all other code constant, and my memory tester locks up on the controller version but not the PHY version. I made sure to use TOGGLE_OUTPUTS = 1, and TOGGLE_INPUTS = '{default:1} for the controller parameters to match my TOGGLE_CONTROLS = 1 for the PHY setup.

Since the test never completes, I assume I'm encountering the 'long refresh' that made me switch from the controller to the PHY in the first place. Can you confirm the timing diagram for toggle-mode below? That's what it looks like for the PHY setup, but for the controller setup CMD_busy toggles a cycle earlier, in a combinatorial way. This makes me think there are some differences with the front-end interface.

[attachimg=1]

BrianHG:
Ok, one of the features of my Multiport module is that it was designed to use positive enable  logic and convert it's output to the toggle which my phy module prefers.

Looking at my basic example: BrianHG_DDR3_DECA_Show_1080p_v15_375Mhz_HR/BrianHG_DDR3_DECA_top.sv,
The instantiation of the: 'BrianHG_DDR3_CONTROLLER_v15_top'

(*** Careful, use the V15 versions here...)

The parameter array '.PORT_TOGGLE_INPUT  (PORT_TOGGLE_INPUT),' will allow you to set a selection of which CMD_xxx [ # ] ports into a toggle mode which should operate virtually identical to my core's 'BrianHG_DDR3_PHY_SEQ.sv' in it's toggle mode.  Note that my PHY module's 'USE_TOGGLE_CONTROLS' is no longer accessible.

When using the toggle mode, every toggle can happen every single clock and the command will be accepted every single clock the toggle has taken place.   It would be the same if you disabled the .PORT_TOGGLE_INPUT for that port # and left the CMD_ena high for every clock.  The difference is how the busy and return will work.  In toggle mode, you can keep sending a toggle command every clock as long as the (CMD_busy == CMD_ena).  Every time the CMD_read_ready toggles, you know a new read word and new read vector out is ready.  With toggle disabled, the CMD_read_ready will be high when new valid data is ready, otherwise it is low.

It is at this point where I say if you are using my full controller, you are better off disabling the toggle option and use the plain enable true/false logic.  My original toggle feature was to allow my core to run at for example 200MHz while running my multiport at 100MHz or 50MHz, or 400MHz.  The interface between the 2 with the toggle feature allow for any type of clock frequency crossing without added headaches.  I added the toggle feature to the multiport's CMD_xxx ports as an afterthought in case someone wanted to interface with slower or faster logic, but I have not extensively tested it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version