Author Topic: Cheap PCIe FPGA cards on Aliexpress  (Read 4183 times)

Online davorinTopic starter

• Supporter
Cheap PCIe FPGA cards on Aliexpress
« on: November 19, 2021, 09:07:17 am »
Good morning (o;

Someone has experience with one of those cheapo FPGA PCIe cards sold on Aliexpress for around US$ 150 - US$ 350?

We tried so far ordering from two different suppliers:

HPC FPGA Board Store: Shipped the card with wrong customs papers...so it was sent back to him...and answered just with "Bad luck"....still waiting for the money

Hennybig Fish Store: Didn't ship the card at all and doesn't answer messages anymore....

So are those cards genuine as the chip used is ten times more expensive than the complete board itself.

Or someone can recommend a supplier there?

thanks in advance
richard

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Cheap PCIe FPGA cards on Aliexpress
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 01:56:51 am »
There is a reddit thread from someone, who got a card and managed to establish a gigabit network connection with it. I am also interested, but don't know where to get a reasonably priced development software for it.

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 11:16:42 am »
Wow...finally after some blackmailing the PCIe card was shipped with DHLyesterday and arrived today in \.ch (o;

If there would just be some documentation and example project to start with ;-)

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 10:39:25 am »
Finally got some documentation and example designs as well last evening...
...and with the onlinedoctranslator.com I could make them readable/understandable ;-)

Now let's see if I get any HDMI output from the design example....

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 05:39:40 pm »
Good morning (o;

Someone has experience with one of those cheapo FPGA PCIe cards sold on Aliexpress for around US$ 150 - US$ 350?

We tried so far ordering from two different suppliers:

HPC FPGA Board Store: Shipped the card with wrong customs papers...so it was sent back to him...and answered just with "Bad luck"....still waiting for the money

Hennybig Fish Store: Didn't ship the card at all and doesn't answer messages anymore....

So are those cards genuine as the chip used is ten times more expensive than the complete board itself.

Or someone can recommend a supplier there?

thanks in advance
richard

I have a Kintex board from HPC Board Store.  It was the earlier version (v2) of this board: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001631827738.html

I made a Vivado board support package for that board.  It is available on GitHub

Someone recently used the BSP to enter the same board into corescore with a core count of 1000.

Everything on the board worked as advertised.  The schematics were accurate.  The owner for the HPC Board Store is great to work with.  He was very helpful even though we do not share a common language.  He does not seem fluent in English, and I do not speak a word of Chinese.  Still, he was able to answer all of my questions.

I would not hesitate to buy more boards from him in the future.

Note: He does state on each product description that he will declare the item value as $20.  If you don't want to have issues with customs, ask him to declare the full value.

The following users thanked this post: paf

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 03:30:36 am »
There is a reddit thread from someone, who got a card and managed to establish a gigabit network connection with it. I am also interested, but don't know where to get a reasonably priced development software for it.
Read the list of files provided very carefully and be enlightened.

Offline x86guru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 08:28:06 pm »
Read the list of files provided very carefully and be enlightened.

I used that in Vivado 2020.2 awhile ago. My board has issues with DDR3 that I'm trying to figure out. Other than DDR3, the serdes and sfp/phys work great in loopback.

Offline vincei

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 04:03:40 pm »
Hi, Do you have the zip folder from that ali-express store for the card? I have one of these cards but have misplaced the software the seller provided. The card is no longer available and my query to the seller has gone unanswered :(

Cheers,
Vince

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf