Author Topic: Complete newbie looking for a good practical beginers guide to programming FPGAs  (Read 3719 times)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
When I started using the free version of Xilinx ISE, it didn't include a free simulator.  As a result, I never learned to use one.  Still don't use one.  In the end, I'm building hardware not screen shots and what I build usually runs without too many errors.  My big error is failing to provide a default value for an output of a FSM.  Doing incremental development can lead to this kind of error.

On a larger project, I threaded a 32 bit debug bus through all of the entities.  Generally, the signals were commented out unless I needed to use a logic analyzer on some portion of the system.  With Xilinx's new ILA (Integrated Logic Analyzer), I get the best of both worlds.  I can look at real hardware signals without having to spend time connecting signals to the debug bus.

https://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/logic-debug-in-vivado.html

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Yes simulation is a key tool when doing digital design. Except for the most trivial designs, not doing simulation is crazy. An almost sure way of getting things wrong while wasting a lot of time trying to fix them.

If you're using VHDL, apart from the commercial simulators, GHDL has become very good. That's my main simulator.

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
I've been using the free Icarus Verilog simulator for functional simulation.  I had been using the simulator that was part of the Lattice Diamond toolset (which I use for my MACHX FPGA work), but they recently changed the simulator and I haven't bothered to figure out the new setup.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
I had been using the simulator that was part of the Lattice Diamond toolset (which I use for my MACHX FPGA work), but they recently changed the simulator and I haven't bothered to figure out the new setup.

They used to include ActiveHDL, they have switched to Modelsim. While I rarely use it because GHDL covers most of my needs, Modelsim is a good and industry-standard simulator. The initial learning curve is a bit steeper than with ActiveHDL, though.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
I have no idea what to use the FPGA boards for right now
I struggle with VHDL .. But just lack of experience.
And The challenge that  i'm used to "C" & sequential flow  :scared:

I've done a bunch of projects using those little Cyclone II boards, they're dirt cheap and capable of holding a lot of retro projects.  I released a handful of bronze age Atari arcade games and an implementation of the Heathkit ET-3400 microprocessor trainer. There's also a daughterboard for Grant's Multicomp.

https://github.com/james10952001

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
They used to include ActiveHDL, they have switched to Modelsim. While I rarely use it because GHDL covers most of my needs, Modelsim is a good and industry-standard simulator. The initial learning curve is a bit steeper than with ActiveHDL, though.

I've been frustrated by the simulation situation, it seems the major vendors change from one simulator to another between versions, some include one, others you have to download and install it separately, it just seems like something that should be more integrated into the tools and less hassle to make it work. I'm only a FPGA hobbyist though, maybe I'd see it differently if I was doing this professionally.

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
I'm only a FPGA hobbyist though, maybe I'd see it differently if I was doing this professionally.

Yeah, I'm only a hobbyist these days (retired).  In my professional days we had expensive development tools and full support.  Now, mostly as a matter of principal, I do it all on a shoestring.  Also the free tools are quite good now, compared to the case 20+ years ago.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
I've done a bunch of projects using those little Cyclone II boards, they're dirt cheap and capable of holding a lot of retro projects.  I released a handful of bronze age Atari arcade games and an implementation of the Heathkit ET-3400 microprocessor trainer. There's also a daughterboard for Grant's Multicomp.

https://github.com/james10952001

Well done James  :-+
That's far beyond my capabilities now.

The Flex multicomp i use was made by other people.

/Bingo

Offline emece67

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 04:47:55 pm by emece67 »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
That's far beyond my capabilities now.

The Flex multicomp i use was made by other people.

/Bingo

Maybe take a look at the Gottlieb pinball/arcade sound boards in there, those are about as simple as a complete computer gets, they are a minimal 6502 based system that has only one task, monitoring inputs and playing the selected sound effect via a DAC connected to the data bus.

The following users thanked this post: bingo600

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf