Electronics > FPGA

Complete newbie looking for a good practical beginers guide to programming FPGAs

<< < (6/7) > >>

rstofer:
When I started using the free version of Xilinx ISE, it didn't include a free simulator.  As a result, I never learned to use one.  Still don't use one.  In the end, I'm building hardware not screen shots and what I build usually runs without too many errors.  My big error is failing to provide a default value for an output of a FSM.  Doing incremental development can lead to this kind of error.

On a larger project, I threaded a 32 bit debug bus through all of the entities.  Generally, the signals were commented out unless I needed to use a logic analyzer on some portion of the system.  With Xilinx's new ILA (Integrated Logic Analyzer), I get the best of both worlds.  I can look at real hardware signals without having to spend time connecting signals to the debug bus.

https://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/logic-debug-in-vivado.html

SiliconWizard:
Yes simulation is a key tool when doing digital design. Except for the most trivial designs, not doing simulation is crazy. An almost sure way of getting things wrong while wasting a lot of time trying to fix them.

If you're using VHDL, apart from the commercial simulators, GHDL has become very good. That's my main simulator.

fourfathom:
I've been using the free Icarus Verilog simulator for functional simulation.  I had been using the simulator that was part of the Lattice Diamond toolset (which I use for my MACHX FPGA work), but they recently changed the simulator and I haven't bothered to figure out the new setup.

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: fourfathom on November 29, 2021, 06:29:36 pm ---I had been using the simulator that was part of the Lattice Diamond toolset (which I use for my MACHX FPGA work), but they recently changed the simulator and I haven't bothered to figure out the new setup.

--- End quote ---

They used to include ActiveHDL, they have switched to Modelsim. While I rarely use it because GHDL covers most of my needs, Modelsim is a good and industry-standard simulator. The initial learning curve is a bit steeper than with ActiveHDL, though.

james_s:

--- Quote from: bingo600 on November 29, 2021, 01:48:34 pm ---I have no idea what to use the FPGA boards for right now
I struggle with VHDL .. But just lack of experience.
And The challenge that  i'm used to "C" & sequential flow  :scared:

--- End quote ---

I've done a bunch of projects using those little Cyclone II boards, they're dirt cheap and capable of holding a lot of retro projects.  I released a handful of bronze age Atari arcade games and an implementation of the Heathkit ET-3400 microprocessor trainer. There's also a daughterboard for Grant's Multicomp.

https://github.com/james10952001

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version