Author Topic: Cordic on verilog  (Read 3066 times)

Offline den586Topic starter

Cordic on verilog
« on: October 12, 2023, 02:31:36 pm »
Good time of day. Someone can share links or open sources to the Cordic algorithm on verilog, which would give out correctly SIN and COS depending on the incoming angle. I have modeled enough codes, and I have not found one whose output would coincide with the ideal SIN and COS within the limit of theoretical accuracy. Thank you in advance.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
Re: Cordic on verilog
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 06:29:09 pm »
Did you do a forum search?

Maybe this code will help: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/fpga/vhdl-code-to-verilog-code/

Note that the final VHDL->Verilog translation I made all the way at the bottom of the thread works and you also get a modelsim setup comparing the original VHDL and Verilog versions.

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 06:34:38 pm »
CORDIC is successive approximation. You should be able to get about 1 bit per iteration.

So for RF work you might implement it for 12 or 24 bits, for audio you might want 16 or 18 bits.

The other thing I that the input usually isn't in radians, so that can trip things up, along with the CODIC gain (the output can have a scale factor applied).
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 10:56:46 pm »
The other thing I that the input usually isn't in radians, so that can trip things up
Unfortunately no cute name like Unit Turn, or Gradians:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_angular_measurement
BAM

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 11:18:51 pm »
The other thing I that the input usually isn't in radians, so that can trip things up
Unfortunately no cute name like Unit Turn, or Gradians:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_angular_measurement
BAM

Nice!.. that link introduced me to 'brads' (binary radians). It is such a cute term it has to stick. "I'm demodulating at a 80 million brads per second!"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 11:20:58 pm by hamster_nz »
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline luudee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 08:41:33 am »

Hello,

please take a look on www.opencores.org, I believe we deposited there such an IP Core some time back ...

Best Regards,
rudi

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 12:21:08 pm »
System verilog version at opencores...

https://opencores.org/projects/cordic_atan_iq

Strangely looks familiar...

Offline den586Topic starter

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 03:43:26 pm »
Thanks for the answers. You can give an answer. What accuracy can cordic provide if, for example, we have a 16-bit sine output, and 16 iterations? In theory, when arctangent coefficients are given, 16 arctanges (the last one) is arctg( 2^(-15) )= 0.001°. Does this mean we will have the maximum error of the 16-bit output sin(0.001°)*2^16?

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 02:24:40 am »
If properly written it should be either the correct value or +/-  1 of the correct value.

There is a lot of subtly as to what the correct answer is. For example you may be more bothered about the outputs purity than its amplitude. A little rounding error can cause the + and - halves to both round towards zero, causing something like crossover distortion.

Or you might need the answer to be in the range of -32767 to +32767,  (0x8001 to 0x7FFF) so you have no DC bias in the output.

Oh, and should the transfer function be y = sin(x), or y=sin(x+1/(2^17)), as the input phase may have been rounded down as it was truncated to 16 bits.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 06:26:27 am by hamster_nz »

Online ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 10:46:33 am »
There is a gold mine in zipcpu website, actually I had found a bug in cordic design there, a few years ago, and have contacted Dan and he has updated the code,
check out his great article in here
https://zipcpu.com/dsp/2017/08/30/cordic.html
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

The following users thanked this post: oPossum

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf