Electronics > FPGA

Development board with FPGA GW1N-LV9LQ144C6/I5

(1/7) > >>

FlyingDutch:
Hello forum,

I designed a simple development board with FPGA from GowinSemi - IC model: GW1N-LV9LQ144C6/I5. Here is link to mouser.com with this product:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/GOWIN-Semiconductor/GW1N-LV9LQ144C6-I5?qs=wnTfsH77Xs6N%2FyGezJZrJQ%3D%3D

https://www.gowinsemi.com/en/product/detail/46/

Tis is basic FPGA with 8640 LUT and 120 I/Os in LQFP-144 case. The amount of resources allow conduct experiments with Soft-CPU (for example with RISC-V soft-cores). My main goal was to design FPGA development which is cheap, but is suitable for beginners. Apart the FPGA itself the board is equipped with:
1) 24 MHz clock circuit
2) LDO voltage controllers and switches for configuring FPGA I/O Banks (three voltages: 3.3V , 2.5V and 1.2 V
3) FPGA Mode switches (for boot mode)
4) Setup circuitry (Reconfig, Done etc.)
5) FPGA reset circuit
6) USB to JTAG based on FTDI chip FT 2232HL (allowing programing by USB socket)
7) JTAG Header for alternating programming by "Gowin Cable" external programmer
8) Additional 32Mb SPI flash IC
9) 8MB of PSRAM (Pseudo RAM) alowing big frame-buffers
10) DSub15 VGA connector
11) 8 user LEDs
12) 8 DIP-Switches
13) 5 Push Buttons
14) TF (uSD) card module
15) Simple audio output
16) 59 I/O pins led out to the three goldpin connectors

I wanted the FPGA kit had the opportunity to program by USB socket and did not require expensive external programer (Gowin "USB Cable"), hence the use of the FTDI chip . I also wanted the FPGA board bring out a large number of I/O pins. I don't plan to output differential pins (LVDS) with impedance and length control on PCB. Here is finished schematic (PNGx and PDF).

It remains to design the PCB.
This is how (third image)  the initial arrangement of components on the PCB looks like. I will update the thread as I design the PCB.

Please be so kind to give me a feedback about this design  :)

Regards

Gribo:
You left the regulator's thermal pads unconnected. You should connect them to a ground plane.

FlyingDutch:
You are right - thanks :)

Regards

colorado.rob:
I would drop the VGA and add an HDMI port. I think HDMI is more straight-forward than VGA. And finding a VGA monitor is getting difficult. I don't know that I have a VGA monitor anywhere at home.

You can either do the proper TMDS termination on the board, or go with a direct LVDS connection. The users might need to use a HDMI port extender to use an LVDS port with some devices. But it is more flexible.

Either that or make it a 40-pin LCD connector.

nctnico:
A better option is to add a board-to-board connector with good signal integrity (IOW: not headers) so you can add whatever high-speed interface you like to the board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version