Electronics > FPGA

FPGA platform and approach to send samples to host PC

<< < (3/4) > >>

langwadt:

--- Quote from: tszaboo on November 23, 2021, 09:50:05 am ---FT2232H in FIFO mode (or some parallel interface) can support this speed. You should be aware, that the max speed on USB doesn't guarantee that it is received.

--- End quote ---

yes it can do close to 40MB/s and you can use the second interface on the chip to configure the FPGA

Morgan127:
If you got a Xilinx FPGA I can recommend to use one of the drop-in Ethernet ip cores from FPGA-Cores.com.

It is very easy to use and supports all necessary Ethernet stuff. They are free to download and use. No processor needed.

hal9001:

--- Quote from: mfro on November 22, 2021, 12:02:03 pm ---if this is an inhouse and/or hobbyist setup, the simplest (and cheapest) way to send data from the FPGA to the host is using something that's already there.

At least for Intel/Altera, you can send data back from the FPGA through the same JTAG (USB-Blaster, usually) connection that you need anyway to download/flash the bitstream the other way round. From the user point of view, this can be handled just like a serial connection.

While it is not officially documented, this method works fine for me up to approx. 1 MB/s.

--- End quote ---
:-+ Where can I find more information about this? Can you read the data by a terminal emulator?

NorthGuy:

--- Quote from: mfro on November 22, 2021, 12:02:03 pm ---While it is not officially documented, this method works fine for me up to approx. 1 MB/s.

--- End quote ---

I get almost 3 MB/s with FT232H through JTAG pins with Xilinx. The big problem is that you have to poll.

mfro:

--- Quote from: hal9001 on November 25, 2021, 09:31:46 am ---
--- Quote from: mfro on November 22, 2021, 12:02:03 pm ---if this is an inhouse and/or hobbyist setup, the simplest (and cheapest) way to send data from the FPGA to the host is using something that's already there.

At least for Intel/Altera, you can send data back from the FPGA through the same JTAG (USB-Blaster, usually) connection that you need anyway to download/flash the bitstream the other way round. From the user point of view, this can be handled just like a serial connection.

While it is not officially documented, this method works fine for me up to approx. 1 MB/s.

--- End quote ---
:-+ Where can I find more information about this? Can you read the data by a terminal emulator?

--- End quote ---

This is what I'm using: https://github.com/mfro0/jtag_terminal
Might need a little tweeking depending on what Intel FPGA you are working with.
You can use the jtag_terminal (part of the Quartus installation) or write something on your own using the Intel/Altera librariies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version