Electronics > FPGA

FPGA VGA Controller for 8-bit computer

<< < (727/732) > >>

BrianHG:
Did you check the compiler messages window?
Maybe there is a clue there, like couldn't find source file XXXX, or simplifying out module XXXX because it is not clocked, or net XXXX missing or wire XXXX generated which usually means a 1 bit wire....

nockieboy:
Okay, so I've done some very quick and dirty testing of the FP_MULT core provided by Quartus and it's returning values that I'd expect (using integers to multiply each other).  I might have some time later to multiply some fractions, but for the moment it seems to be working okay..

I'll have a look at the compile messages later this week if I get some more time. :-+

EDIT: Fractions seem to be working fine too, at least in so far as the single-precision accuracy allows.

BrianHG:

--- Quote from: nockieboy on October 11, 2022, 04:40:50 pm ---EDIT: Fractions seem to be working fine too, at least in so far as the single-precision accuracy allows.

--- End quote ---
Are you saying that your Z80 basic also requires 64bit floating point number support?

Hmmm.
Maybe make an all 64bit ALU, then just select translate the source format to 64bit double, then down translate the 64 bit result to the selected format.

I thought that a 32bit int and 32bit float ALU would have been enough.

BrianHG:

--- Quote from: nockieboy on October 11, 2022, 04:40:50 pm ---EDIT: Fractions seem to be working fine too, at least in so far as the single-precision accuracy allows.

--- End quote ---
PLS verify negative numbers.

nockieboy:

--- Quote from: BrianHG on October 11, 2022, 10:16:21 pm ---

--- End quote ---
Are you saying that your Z80 basic also requires 64bit floating point number support?

Hmmm.
Maybe make an all 64bit ALU, then just select translate the source format to 64bit double, then down translate the 64 bit result to the selected format.

I thought that a 32bit int and 32bit float ALU would have been enough.
--- End quote ---

No no, single precision is fine, I was just acknowledging slight rounding errors thanks to the single precision.  I don't need double precision (at least afaiaa).

--- Quote from: BrianHG on October 12, 2022, 02:44:26 am ---PLS verify negative numbers.
--- End quote ---

Have tried multiplying negative x positive, and negative x negative as well as positive x positive.  All results appear correct. :-+

EDIT: Just need some coherent free time so I can sit down and get my head around displaying/reading 32-bit floats to/from ASCII.  There's some source code out there, I just need to interpret and repurpose it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version