Author Topic: FPGA VGA Controller for 8-bit computer  (Read 424655 times)

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
Re: FPGA VGA Controller for 8-bit computer
« Reply #500 on: November 27, 2019, 09:18:29 pm »
Read carefully....

Code: [Select]
// horizontal raster trigger generation
for (i = 0; i < 24; i = i + 1) begin

if ( h_count[9:8] == GPU_HW_Control_regs[i*4+BASE_OFFSET+0][1:0] && h_count[7:0] == GPU_HW_Control_regs[i*4+BASE_OFFSET+1][7:0] )
raster_HV_triggers[i*2+0] <= 1'b1;
else
raster_HV_triggers[i*2+0] <= 1'b0;

end

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// vertical raster trigger generation
for (i = 1; i < 24; i = i + 1) begin

if ( v_count[9:8] == GPU_HW_Control_regs[i*4+BASE_OFFSET+2][1:0] && v_count[7:0] == GPU_HW_Control_regs[i*4+BASE_OFFSET+3][7:0] )
raster_HV_triggers[i*2+1] <= 1'b1;
else
raster_HV_triggers[i*2+1] <= 1'b0;

end

Hints, what's i*2+1 = when 'i' is 23?
What's the top 'raster_HV_triggers' wire position.

Read all the other changes...

I'm expecting to see some screenshots with cursor lines which your positioned & moved around with the RS232_Debugger... Maybe video of them animated using the RS232_Debugger's mouse wheel, or +/- keys which actually edit a full 16bit word...

I also expect you to discover 1 problem with the vertical lines...

Offline nockieboyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #501 on: November 27, 2019, 11:05:10 pm »
Hints, what's i*2+1 = when 'i' is 23?
What's the top 'raster_HV_triggers' wire position.

47... and 47...?

Read all the other changes...

I'm expecting to see some screenshots with cursor lines which your positioned & moved around with the RS232_Debugger... Maybe video of them animated using the RS232_Debugger's mouse wheel, or +/- keys which actually edit a full 16bit word...

I'll get you screenshots tomorrow, it's late here, but I've had a quick play with the amended code and my limited understanding of how I can connect it all together and test it, and I've managed to get a green crosshairs to appear on the screen by meddling with the GPU memory from 3F00 onwards.  I've been able to move the vertical line to the right and back, but can't move the horizontal line.  I suspect there's something wrong with how I've wired it all up, so here's the design view:

880124-0

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #502 on: November 28, 2019, 12:15:17 am »
For now, just use a few of these:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #503 on: November 28, 2019, 11:10:55 am »
Well, I'm certainly no expert at this and have wired up the triggers as best I can currently - I've just OR'd them all together and then OR'd them into the green channel's MSB.  Design pic attached.

I can scroll the lines, make multiple lines etc.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #504 on: November 28, 2019, 11:16:56 am »

Still looking for this one.  The vertical line on the left appears at 16, which seems okay.  The vertical line on the right edge of the screen, however, is at 661, which seems odd...  ???

EDIT:  Latest project files attached.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:23:09 am by nockieboy »

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #505 on: November 28, 2019, 01:50:46 pm »

Still looking for this one.  The vertical line on the left appears at 16, which seems okay.  The vertical line on the right edge of the screen, however, is at 661, which seems odd...  ???

EDIT:  Latest project files attached.

Ok, all I've done is turned off my snow, made the cursors yellow (so you know it's different), changed the base address in the 'sync_generator.sv' to 0, and set the register defaults to what I played with in the RS232_debugger.

I've included a 'cursor_borders.bin' in the .zip to load into the debugger so you may see the numbers.

Step #1 test if all ' raster_HV_triggers[47..0] ' do something....
Problem #1.  raster_HV_triggers[1], the first horizontal line after the first vertical line seems to be dead!!!

These are the coordinates I set in the first 4 functional cursors:

raster_HV_triggers[0] = $0017 = 23 decimal.  First vertical line at left most of screen. (Bad)
raster_HV_triggers[1] = DEAD
raster_HV_triggers[2] = $0295 = 661 decimal.  Right most pixel on screen. (Bad)
raster_HV_triggers[3] = $0010 = 16 decimal.    Top most line on screen.     (The 1 good thing...)
#4 skipped as it is vertical...
raster_HV_triggers[5] = $01EE = 494 decimal.  Bottom most visible line.  (Bad, Error, see if you can figure out why...)

Now, don't threat, I've done this stuff for years and know where your problems are, however, enough development and tools have been doe that you should be able to figure out the solutions.

Use the .zip I sent you and see what you can figure out.  (vid_osd_generator pipe delay)

Here is a photo of all 46 functional cursors, 24 vertical and 23 horizontal.
880420-0
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:55:39 pm by BrianHG »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #506 on: November 28, 2019, 04:45:38 pm »
Step #1 test if all ' raster_HV_triggers[47..0] ' do something....
Problem #1.  raster_HV_triggers[1], the first horizontal line after the first vertical line seems to be dead!!!

Fixed this one.  Line 123 was the problem in sync_generator.sv:

for (i = 1; i < 24; i = i + 1) begin

Just needed changing to this:

Was a typo or throwback from some earlier iteration of the code that I hadn't picked up on.

These are the coordinates I set in the first 4 functional cursors:

raster_HV_triggers[0] = $0017 = 23 decimal.  First vertical line at left most of screen. (Bad)
raster_HV_triggers[1] = DEAD [FIXED]
raster_HV_triggers[2] = $0295 = 661 decimal.  Right most pixel on screen. (Bad)
raster_HV_triggers[3] = $0010 = 16 decimal.    Top most line on screen.     (The 1 good thing...)
#4 skipped as it is vertical...
raster_HV_triggers[5] = $01EE = 494 decimal.  Bottom most visible line.  (Bad, Error, see if you can figure out why...)

Now, don't threat, I've done this stuff for years and know where your problems are, however, enough development and tools have been doe that you should be able to figure out the solutions.

Horizontal raster triggers:
The first vertical line should appear at 16, but appears at 23 (out by +7).
The last vertical line should appear at 656 (640+16 X_offset) but appears at 661 (out by +5).

Vertical raster triggers:
The first horizontal appears at 16 decimal, so that's okay.
The last appears at 494 decimal, when it should be 496 (480+16 Y_offset) (out by 2).

Could the vertical raster trigger errors be due to a counting problem with a stray -1 somewhere?

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #507 on: November 28, 2019, 06:01:49 pm »
Think through the IF's.  What mutes the video on the screen, or allows it through.
Also think about pixel coordinates and their numbers.
Try setting the X&Y offset parameters down to 0, play with the H&V numbers to give you a hand and really think through what happens when in the 'IF (a==b) statements.  What the numbers are at each clock and what happens to the results and 'WHEN'...

As for the vertical lines, obviously think about when they come out and if I said that the OSD was dead perfect since I simulated the whole thing even before I 'threw' your GPU into one of my scalers, why is the text ok and why is the vertical lines miss located?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:34:27 pm by BrianHG »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #508 on: November 28, 2019, 10:07:46 pm »
Think through the IF's.  What mutes the video on the screen, or allows it through.
Also think about pixel coordinates and their numbers.
Try setting the X&Y offset parameters down to 0, play with the H&V numbers to give you a hand and really think through what happens when in the 'IF (a==b) statements.  What the numbers are at each clock and what happens to the results and 'WHEN'...

As for the vertical lines, obviously think about when they come out and if I said that the OSD was dead perfect since I simulated the whole thing even before I 'threw' your GPU into one of my scalers, why is the text ok and why is the vertical lines miss located?

Okay... trying it with zero offset on X and Y.

Horizontal raster triggers:
The first vertical line should appear at 16, but appears at 23 (out by +7).
The last vertical line should appear at 656 (640+16 X_offset) but appears at 661 (out by +5).

Vertical raster triggers:
The first horizontal appears at 16 decimal, so that's okay.
The last appears at 494 decimal, when it should be 496 (480+16 Y_offset) (out by 2).

With zero offsets:

The first vertical line appears at 7 - this is out by 7 as before.
The second vertical appears at 645 - this is out by 5 as before.

The first horizontal appears at 0. This is correct, as before with the offsets.
The second horizontal appears at 478.  As before, out by -2.

So the results are consistent, at least.  This must be something to do with the clock delays?  Is it because the checks are not being delayed like the rest of the pixel pipeline?  It can't be when the IF checks are being made - I've tried moving the horizontal raster trigger generation IF block to where h_count gets incremented, but no change.  :-//

I'd suggest using a pipe delay for the triggers, but the errors are not consistent (the vertical line is out by 7 on the left, but 5 only on the right, so a fixed delay line won't remove that error?) In fairness, it's the fact the errors aren't fixed that has me stumped.  If they were out by a constant 7 pixels across the screen and a constant 2 pixels down it, I could likely pin the cause down really quickly, but they change...  |O

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #509 on: November 28, 2019, 10:20:11 pm »
Lets start with the Horizontal line only.  You say 0 starts at 0.  Fine.  Now, at 640x480, starting coordinate Y 0, where does Y actually end?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #510 on: November 29, 2019, 09:43:48 am »
Lets start with the Horizontal line only.  You say 0 starts at 0.  Fine.  Now, at 640x480, starting coordinate Y 0, where does Y actually end?

With no offset, the display area ends at 479 and the last line is 524.  So could it just be a -1 error as it appears at 478?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:52:09 am by nockieboy »

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #511 on: November 29, 2019, 12:45:12 pm »

With no offset, the display area ends at 479 and the last line is 524.  So could it just be a -1 error as it appears at 478?
Good, part of 1 problem solved, next...

If IMAGE_OFFSET_Y is 0, what does this line of code do?
if (v_count == IMAGE_OFFSET_Y)
vde <= 1'b1; // Turn on vertical video data enable - start of display area
When does it do it?

Next, assuming IMAGE_OFFSET_Y is till 0, and V_RES is 480: What does this line do?
else if (v_count == IMAGE_OFFSET_Y + V_RES - 1)
vde <= 1'b0 ; // Turn off vertical video data enable - reached bottom of display area
When does it do it?

Please answer the questions next the next post...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #512 on: November 29, 2019, 05:18:57 pm »
When does it do it?

It turns vde on when v_count is 0.  As for when it does it - I guess on the rising edge of the next CLK?

Next, assuming IMAGE_OFFSET_Y is till 0, and V_RES is 480: What does this line do?
vde <= 1'b0 ; // Turn off vertical video data enable - reached bottom of display area
When does it do it?

It turns vde off when v_count is 479 - again, on the rising edge of the next CLK pulse?

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #513 on: November 29, 2019, 05:32:14 pm »
When does it do it?

It turns vde on when v_count is 0.  As for when it does it - I guess on the rising edge of the next CLK?

When does it do it?

It turns vde off when v_count is 479 - again, on the rising edge of the next CLK pulse?
Ok, now here is the important bit....
Ignoring the clk for a second, if you have the video enable turning ON on line 0, and your starting coordinate Y is 0 and this is correct on the screen, do you not think turning OFF the visible line at line 479 is a bad idea if you want to visibly see line 479?

Regardless if the counter is behind by 1 CLK, meaning this hidden internal counter is already +1, meaning whend you turn on at line 0, the counter may be at line 1, and the same for at the end since the switch on and off both have the same delay....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:35:21 pm by BrianHG »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #514 on: November 29, 2019, 06:36:49 pm »
Ok, now here is the important bit....
Ignoring the clk for a second, if you have the video enable turning ON on line 0, and your starting coordinate Y is 0 and this is correct on the screen, do you not think turning OFF the visible line at line 479 is a bad idea if you want to visibly see line 479?

Regardless if the counter is behind by 1 CLK, meaning this hidden internal counter is already +1, meaning whend you turn on at line 0, the counter may be at line 1, and the same for at the end since the switch on and off both have the same delay....

Okay, so the -1 on line 134 needs removing?

if (v_count == IMAGE_OFFSET_Y)  <---- REMOVED -1
else if (v_count == IMAGE_OFFSET_Y + V_RES)

That fixes the bottom horizontal line...

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #515 on: November 29, 2019, 06:53:00 pm »
localparam HS_STA = IMAGE_OFFSET_X + H_RES + H_FRONT_PORCH - 1; // horizontal sync ON (the minus 1 is because hsync is a REG, and thus one clock behind)
localparam HS_END = IMAGE_OFFSET_X + H_RES + H_FRONT_PORCH + HSYNC_WIDTH - 1; // horizontal sync OFF (the minus 1 is because hsync is a REG, and thus one clock behind)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if (h_count == IMAGE_OFFSET_X + H_RES - 1)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if (h_count == IMAGE_OFFSET_X + H_RES - 1)
Do a simulation and show me the key horizontal numerical points.  Make sure everything is going off and of with the right amount of pixels, regardless that they will all be shifted to the right by 1 pixel.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #516 on: November 30, 2019, 11:09:45 am »
@nockieboy I realize the holidays coming up with family obligations must be adding a toll on your available time to concentrate here.

You have 1 thing left to verify about the sync generator, then, you will be gutting the osd_generator and wiring in 2 or 3 address generators in place of my limited 64x32 column current one.

We'll skip sprites and just do the final 2 palette memories and overlay.  You already have what might already be functional Z80 interface, but you may want to multiplex that GPU memory interface side with a separate module so you may have additional access within the GPU project.

If there is time later, we'll look at piggy-backing on some sprites and other more advanced features.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #517 on: December 01, 2019, 10:21:14 am »
Do a simulation and show me the key horizontal numerical points.  Make sure everything is going off and of with the right amount of pixels, regardless that they will all be shifted to the right by 1 pixel.

Okay, I'm hoping this is what you're asking for... I've got the start of the visible display (top left of screen) and end of the visible display (bottom right of screen):

Start:

End:

@nockieboy I realize the holidays coming up with family obligations must be adding a toll on your available time to concentrate here.

Yes, work had cranked up the last week as well, so I've been finding it very hard to find time to work on the project.  :'(

You have 1 thing left to verify about the sync generator, then, you will be gutting the osd_generator and wiring in 2 or 3 address generators in place of my limited 64x32 column current one.

We'll skip sprites and just do the final 2 palette memories and overlay.  You already have what might already be functional Z80 interface, but you may want to multiplex that GPU memory interface side with a separate module so you may have additional access within the GPU project.

If there is time later, we'll look at piggy-backing on some sprites and other more advanced features.

I would really appreciate being able to get some form of sprite support implemented, but I understand that your time is limited.  I may have some time this week so I'll try to catch up as best I can.  :)

I have the hardware for the Z80 interface sorted (well, it's just a breadboard with 4 buffers on it to convert from 5V down to 3.3V and a bi-directional buffer for the data bus), I think it's just the mux to allow the RS232 and the Z80_bridge modules to work alongside each other.  I haven't given that any thought past your previous comments on it yet.

EDIT:

Added end of line as well:

So, I've removed a couple of the -1's from the checks for the hde assignment - I've also removed an unnecessary check to turn off hde when leaving the visible area as it's already done further down in the code.  Updated sync_generator code is below, but I've also attached the current project so we're on the same page.

This change means that the bottom horizontal bar is at decimal 495, and the far right vertical is now on decimal 662 (with X_OFFSET and Y_OFFSET set to 16).

Though I'm still going round in circles with this - I'm going to need you to tell me what the issue is, I think, as I'll never find it before Christmas on my own.  :-//

(Okay, can't leave the code for sync_generator in this post as there's a bug in the forum software that doesn't allow me to post code blocks in the same forum post as attachments for some reason.)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:21:10 pm by nockieboy »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #518 on: December 01, 2019, 10:57:53 am »
// VGA Sync Generator
//
// Default: 640x480x60
//
// Can take parameters when initialised
// to output sync signals for any screen
// resolution

module sync_generator(

// inputs
input wire pclk, // base pixel clock (125 MHz)
input wire reset, // reset: restarts frame
input wire [7:0] GPU_HW_Control_regs[0:(2**HW_REGS_SIZE-1)],

// outputs
output reg [3:0] pc_ena,  // Pixel clock enable (4-bit to allow clock division in video sub-modules)
output reg hde, // Horizontal Display Enable - high when in display area (valid drawing area)
output reg vde, // Vertical Display Enable - high when in display area (valid drawing area)
output reg hsync, // horizontal sync
output reg vsync, // vertical sync

output reg [15:0] frame_ctr,
output reg [47:0] raster_HV_triggers

);

// default resolution if no parameters are passed
parameter H_RES = 640; // horizontal display resolution
parameter V_RES = 480; // vertical display resolution

// image offset parameters
parameter IMAGE_OFFSET_X = 16; // offset the display to allow room at the start
parameter IMAGE_OFFSET_Y = 16; // for things to go off edge of screen

// no-draw area definitions
// defined as parameters so you can edit these on Quartus' block diagram editor
parameter H_FRONT_PORCH = 16;
parameter HSYNC_WIDTH = 96;
parameter H_BACK_PORCH = 48;
parameter V_FRONT_PORCH = 10;
parameter VSYNC_HEIGHT = 2;
parameter V_BACK_PORCH = 33;
parameter PIX_CLK_DIVIDER = 4;

parameter HW_REGS_SIZE = 8; // hardware register size set by HW_REGS parameter in design sheet
parameter BASE_OFFSET = 32; // hardware register base offset for raster triggers

// total screen resolution
localparam LINE = H_RES + H_FRONT_PORCH + HSYNC_WIDTH + H_BACK_PORCH; // complete line (inc. horizontal blanking area)
localparam SCANLINES = V_RES + V_FRONT_PORCH + VSYNC_HEIGHT + V_BACK_PORCH; // total scan lines (inc. vertical blanking area)

// useful trigger points
localparam HS_STA = IMAGE_OFFSET_X + H_RES + H_FRONT_PORCH - 1; // horizontal sync ON (the minus 1 is because hsync is a REG, and thus one clock behind)
localparam HS_END = IMAGE_OFFSET_X + H_RES + H_FRONT_PORCH + HSYNC_WIDTH - 1; // horizontal sync OFF (the minus 1 is because hsync is a REG, and thus one clock behind)
localparam VS_STA = IMAGE_OFFSET_Y + V_RES + V_FRONT_PORCH; // vertical sync ON
localparam VS_END = IMAGE_OFFSET_Y + V_RES + V_FRONT_PORCH + VSYNC_HEIGHT; // vertical sync OFF

reg [9:0] h_count; // current pixel x position
reg [9:0] v_count; // current line y position

always @(posedge pclk)
if (pc_ena == PIX_CLK_DIVIDER) pc_ena <= 0;
else pc_ena <= pc_ena +1;

integer i;

// handle signal generation
always @(posedge pclk)
begin

if (reset) // reset to start of frame
begin
h_count <= (IMAGE_OFFSET_X + H_RES - 2);
v_count <= (SCANLINES - 2);
//z_count <= 1'b0;
hsync   <= 1'b0;
vsync   <= 1'b0;
vde     <= 1'b0;
hde     <= 1'b0;
frame_ctr <= 16'h0000;
end
else
begin
if (pc_ena[3:0] == 0) // once per pixel
begin

// horizontal raster trigger generation

if ( h_count[9:8] == GPU_HW_Control_regs[i*4+BASE_OFFSET+0][1:0] && h_count[7:0] == GPU_HW_Control_regs[i*4+BASE_OFFSET+1][7:0] )
raster_HV_triggers[i*2+0] <= 1'b1;
else
raster_HV_triggers[i*2+0] <= 1'b0;

end

// start of visible display area - set HDE HIGH
if (h_count == IMAGE_OFFSET_X)
hde <= 1'b1;  // Turn on horizontal video data enable

// check for generation of HSYNC pulse
if (h_count == HS_STA)
hsync <= 1'b1; // turn on HSYNC pulse
else if (h_count == HS_END)
hsync <= 1'b0; // turn off HSYNC pulse

// check for generation of VSYNC pulse
if (v_count == VS_STA)
vsync <= 1'b1; // turn on VSYNC pulse
else if (v_count == VS_END)
vsync <= 1'b0; // turn off VSYNC pulse

// reset h_count & increment v_count at end of scanline
if (h_count == LINE - 1) // end of line
begin

h_count <= 9'b0; // reset h_count

// vertical raster trigger generation

if ( v_count[9:8] == GPU_HW_Control_regs[i*4+BASE_OFFSET+2][1:0] && v_count[7:0] == GPU_HW_Control_regs[i*4+BASE_OFFSET+3][7:0] )
raster_HV_triggers[i*2+1] <= 1'b1;
else
raster_HV_triggers[i*2+1] <= 1'b0;

end

else if (v_count == IMAGE_OFFSET_Y + V_RES)

// Now h_count has been zeroed, check if the V-count should be cleared at end of SCANLINES
if (v_count == SCANLINES - 1)
begin

v_count <= 9'b0;
frame_ctr <= frame_ctr + 1'b1; // Increment the frame counter

end
else
begin // If v_count isn't being cleared, increment v_count

v_count <= v_count + 1'b1; // increment v_count to next scanline

end
end
else // not at end of scanline, so just increment horizontal counter
begin

h_count <= h_count + 1'b1;
if (h_count == IMAGE_OFFSET_X + H_RES)
hde <= 1'b0 ;  // Turn off horizontal video data enable

end // if (h_count == LINE - 1)

end // if (pc_ena)

end // else !reset

end // always @clk

endmodule

• Super Contributor
« Reply #519 on: December 01, 2019, 02:18:24 pm »
I've made tentative steps towards getting the data mux started for the RS232 and Z80_bridge modules (the last part needed to get the Microcom talking to the GPU?)

Currently, I've sorted out the inputs and outputs I think I need.  I'm hesitant to actually start writing the HDL for the mux as I'm not 100% clear on how I can create it.  I know it needs to switch between two (or even three?) sets of inputs consisting of:

• 20-bit address,
  • 8-bit data,
  • 2 control lines - wr_ena and rd_req

Design pic below, showing the module (which is currently empty - just has I/O defined) partially connected to the Z80_bridge.

So, my thoughts on how it would work are that it defaults to Port A (the Z80 port), passing through address, data and wr_ena's.  When a rd_req is detected, it waits 2 clocks then passes the data output from the osd_generator module back to the Z80_bridge.

If a read or write request is detected on Port B (i.e. from the RS232 module) and it's doing nothing at that moment, it will switch the above described functions to route the address and data to/from the RS232 module instead.

What I'm not sure about is how it will deal with activity from either port that overlaps with an existing request.  ???  Will it just pipeline it for 2 clocks then push the new request through?

I'm aware this is a sidetrack from the current work on the raster triggers and sync_generator, but am trying to keep myself busy while I have some free time and it doesn't align with yours.  :)

Offline jhpadjustable

• Frequent Contributor
  • Salt 'n' pepper beard
« Reply #520 on: December 01, 2019, 02:56:00 pm »
If your arbiter only samples the request signals when there is no request in progress, there won't be any conflicts.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Arduino, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #521 on: December 01, 2019, 03:18:11 pm »

Okay, I'm hoping this is what you're asking for... I've got the start of the visible display (top left of screen) and end of the visible display (bottom right of screen):

Start:
(Attachment Link)

End:
(Attachment Link)

Yes, work had cranked up the last week as well, so I've been finding it very hard to find time to work on the project.  :'(

I would really appreciate being able to get some form of sprite support implemented, but I understand that your time is limited.  I may have some time this week so I'll try to catch up as best I can.  :)

I have the hardware for the Z80 interface sorted (well, it's just a breadboard with 4 buffers on it to convert from 5V down to 3.3V and a bi-directional buffer for the data bus), I think it's just the mux to allow the RS232 and the Z80_bridge modules to work alongside each other.  I haven't given that any thought past your previous comments on it yet.

EDIT:

Added end of line as well:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

So, I've removed a couple of the -1's from the checks for the hde assignment - I've also removed an unnecessary check to turn off hde when leaving the visible area as it's already done further down in the code.  Updated sync_generator code is below, but I've also attached the current project so we're on the same page.

This change means that the bottom horizontal bar is at decimal 495, and the far right vertical is now on decimal 662 (with X_OFFSET and Y_OFFSET set to 16).

Though I'm still going round in circles with this - I'm going to need you to tell me what the issue is, I think, as I'll never find it before Christmas on my own.  :-//

(Okay, can't leave the code for sync_generator in this post as there's a bug in the forum software that doesn't allow me to post code blocks in the same forum post as attachments for some reason.)
Ok, VDE beginning 1 pixel to the left is OK as it will not affect anything anywhere else.
There is 1 minor change I want you to make, though it wont alter anything, in reading the code, in the future, it will make things easier:

Move this line:

To right after this line:
adding the word 'ELSE' in front of the 'Turn Off' if().

Ok, now, for that pesky vertical margin bars being off the the right by 6 pixels.  Tell me:
Why do you think we pass the 'hde, vde, vs, hs' coming out of the sync generator, going into the 'vid_ods_generator', then out of the 'vid_osd_generator' into the 'vid_out_stencil' then out of there into the video output pins?  Why didn't we just tie those signals straight from the sync generator to all those adjacent modules and the output pins in parallel?

Where is the test picture coming out of?
Where are the HV triggers currently coming out of?

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #522 on: December 01, 2019, 03:22:46 pm »
If your arbiter only samples the request signals when there is no request in progress, there won't be any conflicts.
Even so, though I designed memory requests to operate on a 1 pulse, if he just makes a 1 bit counter cycling back and forth muxing port A&B, he has so much access speed that it will still be transparent to the Z80 and RS232.  Both Z80 and RS232 have return data ready latches for reads as well.

The following users thanked this post: jhpadjustable

• Super Contributor
« Reply #523 on: December 01, 2019, 04:24:47 pm »
Ok, VDE beginning 1 pixel to the left is OK as it will not affect anything anywhere else.
There is 1 minor change I want you to make, though it wont alter anything, in reading the code, in the future, it will make things easier:

Move this line:

All done.  :-+

Ok, now, for that pesky vertical margin bars being off the the right by 6 pixels.  Tell me:
Why do you think we pass the 'hde, vde, vs, hs' coming out of the sync generator, going into the 'vid_ods_generator', then out of the 'vid_osd_generator' into the 'vid_out_stencil' then out of there into the video output pins?  Why didn't we just tie those signals straight from the sync generator to all those adjacent modules and the output pins in parallel?

Ahhh... of course!  |O  There's a 6-pixel delay on hde, vde, vs and hs.  How did I not see that?!

So the question now is:  what's the best way to delay the 48 triggers by PIPE_DELAY?  I could create a 48-wide delay pipe, but to my inexperienced mind that seems very wasteful...  :-\

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #524 on: December 01, 2019, 04:39:46 pm »

Move this line:

All done.  :-+

Ahhh... of course!  |O  There's a 6-pixel delay on hde, vde, vs and hs.  How did I not see that?!

So the question now is:  what's the best way to delay the 48 triggers by PIPE_DELAY?  I could create a 48-wide delay pipe, but to my inexperienced mind that seems very wasteful...  :-\
Yes, adding an HV triggers input to the osd_generator and again a through to an output would fix the problem and for now just do it.  You may use the new HW regs trick to make to verilog code look neater and tie the delay to the 6 'pipeline' parameter.

However, in the future, these HV triggers will never make it that far to an output.  Some will just be used to reset, increment and trigger the start and stop of your address generators.  They will never go through such a pipe.  And also remember, any unused HV triggers anywhere in the chain, automatically get removed by the compiler automatically before fitting into the FPGA.  You do not need to worry about waste.  During this test, since all 48 triggers are driving pixels on the display, yes, adding that 48x6 pipe would use up all registers.  You still need to add the input and output on the OSD with the pipe to try and see if all works correctly.  When we disconnect the output 'or' to the green and red colors, the compiler will drop any unused registers in the design, but in the future, if you need 1 of 2 test debug cursors on the screen, they will be there to tap at will.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf