Author Topic: GOWIN FPGA  (Read 1820 times)

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Frequent Contributor
    • ASiD Designer
Re: GOWIN FPGA
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 10:38:16 pm »
Thanks for sharing, I got price info for them it's 5USD for the TQFP144 pin version without SDRAM and around 6.5 USD for the version with Internal SDRAM.
You can order parts from www.ASiDesigner.com
we are a wire-based company

Online imo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 10:49:38 pm »
FYI, Trenz has two GOWIN boards on their website.

Trenz is a UK FPGA board mfg, covering all FPGA brands that sell to the public (sorry, no QuickLogic).
..The YunYuan IDE works, did a simple project, but without using the SDRAM so far. It is not the fastest, fmax for my design was about 70 MHz for a RS232 receiver and FIFO with BRAM, and sigma delta audio output from the BRAM. Testing the SDRAM will be my next step.
The picorv32 example did 65MHz max on the Arora, as I can remember, my conservative guess would be 45MHz with the sdram or maybe 50MHz with psram (pseudosram -> a dram with sram interface) when talking a 32bit MCU on the chip. Their current technology is 55nm, I bet they will go to an finer node soon or later (they are a fabless company)..
Interesting chips are the LittleBees in the "UV" version - single voltage, and nonvolatile configuration on-chip flash (no external bitstream flash is needed). Are they available??
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:02:43 pm by imo »

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2019, 03:58:24 am »
The price was $8.28 for 200 of the GW1NR-UV4QN88P part. And the distributor said he did me a favor, because even 200 pieces would be normally below minimum order quantity. I guess they are used to sell it to Chinese companies with probably more than a million pieces per product.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 04:16:11 am »
Thanks for sharing, I got price info for them it's 5USD for the TQFP144 pin version without SDRAM and around 6.5 USD for the version with Internal SDRAM.

Based on what quantity? Tx!

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Frequent Contributor
    • ASiD Designer
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 05:37:36 pm »
Based on what quantity? Tx!
Around 100 to 1K units, also I think the sample prices is the same too.
They are chinese non-US company, they usually charge very low, the volume is effective in more than 10K units I believe, under 10K everything is the same price, almost no matter the volume ;) Not to mention I could get samples for free ;D

Also I believe the price matters where you live :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 05:40:59 pm by ali_asadzadeh »

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 01:40:19 am »
Around 100 to 1K units, also I think the sample prices is the same too.
They are chinese non-US company, they usually charge very low, the volume is effective in more than 10K units I believe, under 10K everything is the same price, almost no matter the volume ;) Not to mention I could get samples for free ;D

Also I believe the price matters where you live :)
Did you get the quote from Gowin? I guess the distributor I got the prices from, makes a nice profit then :)

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Frequent Contributor
    • ASiD Designer
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 03:44:14 pm »
Did you get the quote from Gowin? I guess the distributor I got the prices from, makes a nice profit then :)
It's from their distributor, try to change that, also they have a website with very similar prices that sells them.

see these links
https://www.edgeelectronics.com/fpga/gw2a-lv18lq144c7-i6/
https://www.edgeelectronics.com/fpga/gw2ar-lv18lq144c7-i6/

The version that you want is around 4USD
https://www.edgeelectronics.com/fpga/gw1nr-uv4qn88c5-i4/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 03:48:31 pm by ali_asadzadeh »

Offline TimCambridge

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 08:34:30 pm »
It's from their distributor, try to change that, also they have a website with very similar prices that sells them.

Did you discover the lead times for the various families of parts?

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2019, 09:25:58 pm »
The version that you want is around 4USD
https://www.edgeelectronics.com/fpga/gw1nr-uv4qn88c5-i4/

No, this is the SDRAM version. The version I asked for was the GW1NR-UV4QN88P (note the additional P at the end), but this is unobtanium anyway. This might explain the difference. But thanks, for this price difference it is worth thinking about if I could do the same with SDRAM, and maybe some BRAM for caching.

BTW, they told me that the PSRAM version is using the W955D8MBYA memory inside, couldn't find this information in the Gowin datasheets. They sent me a preliminary Winbond datasheet of it, where it was called "x8 IO pSRAM". But it doesn't really have a classic SRAM interface. Looks like in the current datasheet, with the same pinout and content, it is called "HyperRAM". I wish everything would be SRAM and fast, would be much easier. At least HyperRAM is simpler than the usual SDRAM interface, but it requires 12 clocks worst case from chip select to data out, if a refresh latency is required.

Online imo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2019, 03:18:05 am »
I worked with PSRAM in past (xilinx<-> 48ball 75ns psram). The interface was standard SRAM, worked fine, the only restriction is the R/W cycles cannot be longer as some specified time because it is dram inside.

It could be the GOWIN is using FPGA chip stacked with a separate DRAM/PSRAM chip (piggybacked chips, pretty popular, ie the GD32F103 chips).

Look at the PSRAM module description in the FPGA's DS, as I can remember the interface is more complex than the actual psram's W955D8MBYA chip ball count.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:24:29 am by imo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf