Electronics > FPGA

Guide: Getting Xilinx ISE to work with Windows 8 / Windows 10 (64-bit)

(1/6) > >>

BytesGuy:
10/8/15: This guide will also work for Windows 10 64-bit  :-+

I recently scored a Spartan 3E Starter Board on eBay. So, thinking I was on to a winner as I used this board during my time at uni, I downloaded and installed Xilinx ISE WebPACK.

But the problem is, it barely works in 64-bit mode on Windows 8 :palm: The license manager and Project Navigator both just close when you try to open a file and PlanAhead only works in 32-bit mode.

Xilinx ISE does not officially support Windows 8 and it probably never will as Xilinx are focused on their new suite - Vivado. However, Vivado only works with 7 series devices and upwards, so no Spartan 3 or Spartan 6 FPGAs!

But all is not lost, here is how you can get ISE (64-bit) working on Windows 8.

Fixing Project Navigator, iMPACT and License Manager

Note: I am assuming you are using ISE 14.7 and have installed it to the default location

* Open the following directory: C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64
* Find and rename libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig
* Make a copy of libPortabilityNOSH.dll (copy and paste it to the same directory) and rename it libPortability.dll
* Copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll again, but this time navigate to C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64 and paste it there
* In C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64 Find and rename libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig
* Rename libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll
Fixing PlanAhead not opening from 64-bit Project Navigator

PlanAhead will not open when you are running 64-bit Project Navigator (e.g. for I/O Pin Planning), it just displays the splash screen but never opens.

To fix it, we have to force PlanAhead to always run in 32-bit mode.

* Open C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\PlanAhead\bin and rename rdiArgs.bat to rdiArgs.bat.orig
* Download the attached zip file
* Extract it. You should now have a file named rdiArgs.bat
* Copy the new rdiArgs.bat file to C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\PlanAhead\bin
Now you should have a working ISE Design Suite on Windows 8 64-bit :-+

Hope this helps!

Dongulus:
I've never had anything but trouble when installing ISE. I've encountered these same problems in the past before I downgraded from Win8 to Win7 (probably one of the reasons I downgraded). I've had trouble again just last month with ISE 14.5 on Win7 where I can't get anything to load. I wonder if the failure here is a similar problem with the DLLs.

Instead of really looking into it, I just deleted all of the files (because the uninstall wouldn't even come up) and I downloaded the massive ISE files again. Now, I can't even get the install executable to run because it keeps crashing. So frustrating. |O

At least I have a version of ISE working on another machine.

BytesGuy:

--- Quote from: Dongulus on July 14, 2014, 08:29:08 pm ---I've never had anything but trouble when installing ISE. I've encountered these same problems in the past before I downgraded from Win8 to Win7 (probably one of the reasons I downgraded). I've had trouble again just last month with ISE 14.5 on Win7 where I can't get anything to load. I wonder if the failure here is a similar problem with the DLLs.

Instead of really looking into it, I just deleted all of the files (because the uninstall wouldn't even come up) and I downloaded the massive ISE files again. Now, I can't even get the install executable to run because it keeps crashing. So frustrating. |O

At least I have a version of ISE working on another machine.

--- End quote ---

ISE is a bit of a beast  >:D

It could have been that the download didn't totally finish, I had that problem before.

I'd suggest you download 14.7 in the split files (4 files of about 2GB), then you extract the first one (Xilinx_ISE_DS_14.7_1015_1-1.tar) and run the setup from inside there. It then asks you where the other 3 files are and checks their integrity. Takes a bit longer, but I have had more success that way.

Dongulus:

--- Quote from: Newbzors on July 14, 2014, 09:55:47 pm ---I'd suggest you download 14.7 in the split files (4 files of about 2GB), then you extract the first one (Xilinx_ISE_DS_14.7_1015_1-1.tar) and run the setup from inside there. It then asks you where the other 3 files are and checks their integrity. Takes a bit longer, but I have had more success that way.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. At least if it doesn't work, I don't have to download 6 GB to find out.

Bassman59:

--- Quote from: Dongulus on July 14, 2014, 08:29:08 pm ---I've never had anything but trouble when installing ISE. I've encountered these same problems in the past before I downgraded from Win8 to Win7 (probably one of the reasons I downgraded).
--- End quote ---

For the record, Xilinx has been pretty blunt about how ISE is not supported on Windows 8, and will never be supported on anything newer than Windows 7. ISE is officially deprecated, which of course is ridiculous because Vivado supports only Series 7 devices, and those of us still happily using Spartan 3AN and Spartan 6 and Virtex 4 see no reason to use Artix or whatever. Oh, that the smallest Artix devices are not available at all through distribution makes migrating to them rather impossible.

--- Quote ---I've had trouble again just last month with ISE 14.5 on Win7 where I can't get anything to load. I wonder if the failure here is a similar problem with the DLLs.
--- End quote ---

For what it's worth, I have 14.7 working well in Windows 7-64, both on a Dell machine and in a VMWare VM on two Macs running 10.9.4.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version