Author Topic: Intel to spin off FPGA biz  (Read 4508 times)

Offline AK6DNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Intel to spin off FPGA biz
« on: October 05, 2023, 03:59:19 am »

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
Re: Intel to spin off FPGA biz
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 05:13:14 am »
I hope they will change their business model of milking customers left and right, as well as stop ignoring customers which want to buy less than 1M$ worth of chips.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 07:42:12 am »

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 02:10:15 pm »
I hope they will change their business model of milking customers left and right, as well as stop ignoring customers which want to buy less than 1M$ worth of chips.

The article says they want to compete more effectively in the mid and low end of the market which is nice. I'm not sure how that will translate to lower volume customers, but their low and mid range portfolio is pretty weak.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 02:57:53 pm »
This was to be expected from Intel... buy it and let it die. Next thing you know TCFKA (The company formerly known as Altera) will be bought by another big semiconductor vendor. That is the purpose of spinning off businesses. Maybe Microchip? Or AMD to fortify their portfolio against the upcoming competition?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 03:00:03 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Boscoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 03:02:03 pm »

The article says they want to compete more effectively in the mid and low end of the market which is nice. I'm not sure how that will translate to lower volume customers, but their low and mid range portfolio is pretty weak.

I feel like Efinix and Gowin are doing quite well there. Efinixs tooling is a god send compared to Quartus and Vivado.

The following users thanked this post: Heartbreaker

Offline AK6DNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 05:18:04 pm »
This was to be expected from Intel... buy it and let it die. Next thing you know TCFKA (The company formerly known as Altera) will be bought by another big semiconductor vendor. That is the purpose of spinning off businesses. Maybe Microchip? Or AMD to fortify their portfolio against the upcoming competition?

Probably not AMD, they already bought Xilinx. Need someone with deep pockets or not very smart. Hey Elon, you need some FPGAs for your Teslas?

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 05:36:45 pm »
Not only did AMD already buy Xilinx, they did it in response to Intel's purchase of Altera.  At this point it will be slowly dawning on the AMD execs that they have been trolled.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 06:45:51 pm »
Maybe let's wait a little bit till we get more detailed info on what's going to happen? :popcorn:

But otherwise yes, it's not surprising. While addressing a relatively large market per se, FPGAs are a niche market for Intel, and the big dinosaurs are not made to handle niche markets properly. They have to spin off sooner or later.

When they bought Altera, I was kinda expecting they would leverage FPGA technology to design innovative hybrid CPUs which could have given them a major edge, but while they did some of that, what they eventually did was pretty disappointing compared to what could have been.

So, at this point, looks like they missed the opportunity and it'll just become a sister company that they may very well resell to whoever has the best offer down the line. Maybe NVidia. ;D

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 07:13:29 pm »
Maybe let's wait a little bit till we get more detailed info on what's going to happen? :popcorn:

But otherwise yes, it's not surprising. While addressing a relatively large market per se, FPGAs are a niche market for Intel, and the big dinosaurs are not made to handle niche markets properly. They have to spin off sooner or later.

When they bought Altera, I was kinda expecting they would leverage FPGA technology to design innovative hybrid CPUs which could have given them a major edge, but while they did some of that, what they eventually did was pretty disappointing compared to what could have been.

did they try pairing fpga with some old frankensteined x86?

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2023, 07:20:33 pm »
Not only did AMD already buy Xilinx, they did it in response to Intel's purchase of Altera.  At this point it will be slowly dawning on the AMD execs that they have been trolled.

I don't think thats really true.  AMD didn't buy Xilinx to compete with Intel's FPGA products, they bought it to compete with NVidia for data center acceleration.  Also, they will be hard pressed to do a worse job of managing their acquisition and product line than Intel did.  At the very least, AMD isn't going to tie Xilinx's future to an in-house fab process that gets delayed for years.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2023, 07:22:05 pm »
AMD did some nice things with the Xilinx stuff, for example the AV1 hardware encoder card

If anything, I think AMD should have bought AsMedia (they already use their IP for the usb and sata controllers in the chipset)  and a company that does ethernet, just like nvidia bought mellanox.  Realtek is too big for AMD to buy, but maybe some smaller player... shame they couldn't buy aquantia for example.

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2023, 07:33:14 pm »
If anything, I think AMD should have bought AsMedia (they already use their IP for the usb and sata controllers in the chipset)  and a company that does ethernet, just like nvidia bought mellanox.  Realtek is too big for AMD to buy, but maybe some smaller player... shame they couldn't buy aquantia for example.

The did buy a company that does Ethernet.  They bought Xilinx.  Xilinx had previously purchased Solarflare, although high performance networking was already a major part of their FPGA product line.

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2023, 11:17:08 pm »
Seems to be an announcement only...

Looking ahead to 2024, Intel aims to bring in outside investors in preparation for an initial public offering within the next two to three years. But much like Softbank's Arm IPO last month, Intel says it'll retain a majority stake in PSG.
Not for 2-3 years and they keep a majority stake ?

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2023, 11:36:30 pm »

did they try pairing fpga with some old frankensteined x86?

Yes. https://www.nextplatform.com/2018/05/24/a-peek-inside-that-intel-xeon-fpga-hybrid-chip/

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2023, 02:19:52 am »
I don't think thats really true.  AMD didn't buy Xilinx to compete with Intel's FPGA products, they bought it to compete with NVidia for data center acceleration.
I doubt it. Hard silicon will always win against PL on tasks it was designed to do. Datacenter stuff nowadays is all about ML, which GPU or GPU-like-accelerators do waaay better in that regard. Programmable stuff is better in the edge computing because those devices tend to be quite specialized, and as a concequence, not high enough volume to spin up an ASIC. Zynq US+ and Artix US+ are often used in 4K IP cameras and in edge vision systems.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2023, 03:01:01 am »
I don't think thats really true.  AMD didn't buy Xilinx to compete with Intel's FPGA products, they bought it to compete with NVidia for data center acceleration.
I doubt it. Hard silicon will always win against PL on tasks it was designed to do. Datacenter stuff nowadays is all about ML, which GPU or GPU-like-accelerators do waaay better in that regard. Programmable stuff is better in the edge computing because those devices tend to be quite specialized, and as a concequence, not high enough volume to spin up an ASIC. Zynq US+ and Artix US+ are often used in 4K IP cameras and in edge vision systems.

My guess is, that realization what is prompting the sale.  The future of the data center belongs to linear algebra, not LUTs.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2023, 05:10:31 am »
My guess is, that realization what is prompting the sale.  The future of the data center belongs to linear algebra, not LUTs.
I think the sale is simply a new management's way of cleaning up the books since whatever plan that old management had for Altera didn't work out and it seems to me that new management couldn't come up with any worthwhile replacement plan.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2023, 05:44:20 am »
Yep this was only a matter of time.

Alteras niche field of business doesn't really fit into the huge markets that Intel is used to dealing with. The only reason they bought them was the idea of a FPGA accelerator for data center applications, but we saw how well that went. So there is no longer any reason to keep them around. Intel caused enugh hawok already by nuking the website and forum, making documentation a lot harder to find.

Their ticket to datacenter acceleration would have been GPUs, but the recent Intel dedicated GPU endeavor was pretty underwhelming.

Not sure what AMD is planning to do with Xilinx but something similar will likely happen.

Offline greghol

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2023, 08:35:56 am »
... Maybe Microchip? Or AMD to fortify their portfolio against the upcoming competition?

Microchip already has Microsemi/Actel.
https://www.microchip.com/en-us/products/fpgas-and-plds/fpgas

Greg

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2023, 01:00:21 pm »
I doubt it. Hard silicon will always win against PL on tasks it was designed to do. Datacenter stuff nowadays is all about ML, which GPU or GPU-like-accelerators do waaay better in that regard.

I don't disagree, but based on AMDs website I think it's pretty clear that is their intent.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf