Electronics > FPGA

Lattice has silently removed free iCEcube2 license and now charging $471

<< < (5/5)

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: c64 on April 24, 2024, 08:11:39 am ---How did it work before? For how long was a free license valid? Did it require internet connection to run?

--- End quote ---

Lattice licensing generally speaking is based on license files that must be renewed every year. You don't need an internet connection to run the tools, but you need one to ask for the license - they send it by mail.

asmi:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on April 24, 2024, 10:00:59 pm ---
--- Quote from: c64 on April 24, 2024, 08:11:39 am ---How did it work before? For how long was a free license valid? Did it require internet connection to run?

--- End quote ---

Lattice licensing generally speaking is based on license files that must be renewed every year. You don't need an internet connection to run the tools, but you need one to ask for the license - they send it by mail.

--- End quote ---
Technically you can request a license from any device, it doesn't have to be the actual target pc - as long as you know the MAC address, that's all you needed. So it's possible to use the license on a totally offline/isolated pc.

ErikSwan:
I'm not sure when Lattice made this change as I never received a direct reply from them, but as of today, it appears like Lattice has added a "Makers Community" license option to the iCEcube2 page which pretty much restores the free license option for everyone but established commercial companies:

--- Quote ---iCEcube2 Makers Community
Lattice offers free licenses to hobbyists, enthusiasts, community educators & start-up companies. If this describes you, please contact us to register for a free iCEcube2 license with subject “New iCEcube2 License Request”.
--- End quote ---

This is exactly what I was asking for, so thank you for listening, Lattice!

trossin:
I emailed them yesterday to complain and got an email back with the same info. I guess the pressure we all applied worked out.

Jope:
Russell Merrick (Nandland.com) has posted this on Reddit today:
iCEcube2 (Lattice FPGA build tools) are free again for hobbyists, start-ups, and educators! Yay!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version