Author Topic: LFSR toggle rate?  (Read 976 times)

Offline steamedhamsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
LFSR toggle rate?
« on: June 21, 2021, 12:48:38 pm »
I am using a LFSR that toggles one DFFs per clock cycle.

Does this mean the toggle rate is:

=1/total number of DFFs

I am using a power estimation tool to figure out the dynamic power consumption.

Offline cruff

• Regular Contributor
Re: LFSR toggle rate?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 12:11:53 am »
Unless something is unusual about it, all of the DFFs in the LFSR will toggle each clock cycle, unless you are gating the clock somehow.

Offline steamedhamsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 03:04:27 pm »
Depends on the input though, if it is just passing a 1, then only 1 DFF should toggle each clock cycle as it passes through the chain.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 03:49:03 pm »
I would hope that the XOR terms are clocked as well.  Otherwise the chain is simply a shift register.

Every schematic of an LFSR I have ever seen has all flops clocked simultaneously.  I suppose it could be done some other way but why?

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 05:05:59 pm »
Additional thought.

I suppose what the OP means by "a DFF not toggling" is that its output doesn't change state on a given clock cycle.
I won't get into the implementation of a LFSR, but I'll just elaborate on the above point.

Since, as someone said above, in a typical FPGA, all DFFs in your design (except if you managed to explicitely clock gate them, which is either not exactly possible or not guaranteed depending on said FPGA) will be clocked, what matters here IMO is down to the number of transistors that make up a DFF, and the number of them that will switch even when the output doesn't change state. You can refer to this basic design: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flop_%28electronics%29#/media/File:True_single-phase_edge-triggered_flip-flop_with_reset.svg for starters.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf