Author Topic: Moving design between different variants  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Mario87Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Moving design between different variants
« on: June 29, 2021, 07:13:44 am »
Hi all,

New to FPGA's not properly looked at them since I was at uni other than a little bit at the end of last year. Got a Basys 3 dev board on its which which I'm using along side a text book to learn Verilog / VHDL, etc.

Now I have a long term project I want to fulfil, but any dev board I see which fits the bill in terms of peripherals has an FPGA which I think might be a bit more than what I need.

So my question is, if I make a design on a higher end Artix-7 FPGA, get it working on the dev board, etc. How hard is it to move that design to a lower spec variant of the Artix-7 FPGA family?

Is it just a case of chose the correct FPGA in vivado, map the pins accordingly to the new FPGA and done? Or is there a fair bit of work involved to go from one to the other?

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
Re: Moving design between different variants
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 07:34:06 am »
It is as you say - cjange the project setting, change the constraints, and press 'generate bitstream'.

Going between vendors is usually a bit harder, as the 'edges' of a design usually uses vendor-specific primatives and features.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

The following users thanked this post: Mario87

Offline Mario87Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 07:56:25 am »
Great, thanks! I thought that would be the case, especially with the same vendor and product line, but decided it would be best to ask.

:-+

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 08:54:08 am »
Oh, and for some parts you can play "guess which are the same die, but with different fusing", making it even less problematic to change parts.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

The following users thanked this post: Mario87

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 12:51:47 pm »
So my question is, if I make a design on a higher end Artix-7 FPGA, get it working on the dev board, etc. How hard is it to move that design to a lower spec variant of the Artix-7 FPGA family?

Moving design is very easy. Buying lower spec Artixes is not :)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 06:05:30 pm »

Moving design is very easy. Buying lower spec Artixes is not :)

Ah, indeed!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf