Author Topic: Programming CPLD  (Read 1247 times)

Offline lluchiariTopic starter

• Contributor
Programming CPLD
« on: June 30, 2020, 03:30:33 pm »
Hi guys..

I'm trying to program an CPLD and make my own programmer for an PEEL22CV10.
Anyone knows or have documentation? I couldn't find anything on internet! It's a very old component! The company doesn't exist anymore and even with help of old cache for ICT's website I couldn't find this specific information. Seems to be almost a secret.

Thanks!

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Programming CPLD
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 07:59:58 pm »
Try searching on Google for "open gal programmer", there are some existing designs and open source software to do this if you insist on making your own.

Otherwise, get a TL866 II Plus and some modern ATMEL ATF16V8 and/or ATF22V10 which are still in production, if you don't need the PEEL devices specifically.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 09:11:47 pm »
Actually I want to push a fusemap from an old project (that I don't have the code anymore) and put into a new CPLD. But I'm afraid that the old PEEL22V10A is locked.

I bought a Wellon VP299 and tried to read with ATF22V10/GAL22V10 configuration, and an empty fusemap was returned. That's why I'm wondering if the protocol is the same for PEEL or the device is locked! The only thing I can ensure is that given the inputs, the outputs are correct and that PEEL is working.

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 06:06:41 am »
It's highly likely (if it is from a commercial product) that the security bit was set on the old device. This prevents the contents from being read back and may explain what you are seeing.

And if that is the case then you may be SOL and will have to recreate it from scratch through reverse engineering and/or enough knowledge of the operation of the product.

The following users thanked this post: lluchiari

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 11:45:51 am »
...and will have to recreate it from scratch through reverse engineering and/or enough knowledge of the operation of the product

Yeah..that's what I did. I could get the truth table but just because it's a very simple logic (just combinatory logic) and I have some doc giving me some background. If that was a complex logic (with buffering, freq divider, ....) I'd probably in trouble.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 11:56:22 am »
but...do you know if the programming process of GAL22V10 is the same for exmaple PEEL22CV10?

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 06:21:18 pm »
Im not sure about that, sorry.

They may be very similar, as the internal structures of most GAL like devices seems to be quite similar - probably becuase they would have been competing against each other for sales of programmable logic, so had to at least offer the same basic product, and there are only so many ways to make such a thing work.

Unfortunatley its hard to know without access to a programmer that can program them, so that you could capture the sequence of pins toggling, voltage levels etc and compare between different vendors. Some people have done just this, and created open source programming software and hardware.

There is a thread on the EEVBlog forum where some people had discussed something like this, but Im struggling to find it or remember what it was called. If my memory hasnt completely failed (and I wouldnt rule that out!) it was something like OpenATF or ATFprog or something. It was specific to the Atmel ATF series, but it might give some clues about how the programming sequence works.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf