Author Topic: Programming device for MACHXO2?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline soFPGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Programming device for MACHXO2?
« on: July 11, 2020, 03:52:32 pm »
To the people who are using MACHXO2 FPGAs:

Which device are you using for programming?

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Programming device for MACHXO2?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 04:10:48 pm »
I am just ignoring the provocation and take the useful information, thank you.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 04:16:49 pm »
Not sure what the clone part was about - if it was about the FT2232H, I think it's moot as this chip was never cloned AFAIK. Only the cheaper UART-USB ICs like the FT232R were.

Other than this, as said, any FT2232H or FT232H (single channel) breakout board will do if you work @3.3V. If not, you'll need extra level shifters. I have used a Bus Blaster V3 board for this, as it conveniently includes a CPLD which does the level shifting. Any JTAG adapter made of a FT2232H or FT232H you can grab should do.

The following users thanked this post: soFPG

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 04:46:45 pm »
Not sure what the clone part was about - if it was about the FT2232H, I think it's moot as this chip was never cloned AFAIK. Only the cheaper UART-USB ICs like the FT232R were.

Other than this, as said, any FT2232H or FT232H (single channel) breakout board will do if you work @3.3V. If not, you'll need extra level shifters. I have used a Bus Blaster V3 board for this, as it conveniently includes a CPLD which does the level shifting. Any JTAG adapter made of a FT2232H or FT232H you can grab should do.

I meant cloned cables using genuine chips. Or you can just use an FTDI evaluation board, which you need to bodge some wires to get it to even enumerate.

Oh OK. Well whatever he buys is up to him as long as it has the proper FTDI chip that Lattice handles (both FT2232H and FT232H, both tested). Certainly doesn't need to be the Lattice probes, whether they are genuine or clones.

You can find a bunch of breakout boards apart from the official FTDI modules (you're probably thinking of the official FT2232H module which indeed needs some wiring for the power supplies IIRC) which are already properly wired and just need wires for the JTAG connection.

Apart from the Bus blaster boards I mentioned (about $30-$35 IIRC), you can buy a FT232H breakout board from a reputable source (Adafruit) which has all you need for a JTAG probe (except level shifting if needed): https://www.adafruit.com/product/2264 ($15)

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 04:47:03 pm »
Don't be to acid "blue"  we like you

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 01:12:19 pm »
So put it simple, you can clone one with any FT2232H board. Just about every Xilinx or Altera clone JTAG cables can be repurposed by programming the EEPROM with a dump from Lattice.
Does this mean it is also possible to re-purpose an Altera Clone JTAG programmer to act as a programmer for Xilinx FPGAs?

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 02:45:59 pm »
I use a MachXO2 breakout board, it has a FT2232H on it, as programming cable. A FT2232H breakout board works as well, and yeah I used the EEPROM dump blueskull is talking about, I think it was his, to repurpose the (FT) breakout board so DIamond recognizes it. There are cheap clone cables in ali nowadays, too... Sadly shipping in taking 3 to 4 weeks to Germany these days...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf