Electronics > FPGA

Programming Lattice MachXO2: "Password key required"?

<< < (3/3)

laugensalm:
These issues with the Lattice Programmer are also present on a Linux system (which *should* be a more controlled environment with respect to FTDI driver issues). From what I remember looking into it, the dangling JTAG daemon and those reported spurious timeouts would leave the JTAG chain in an undefined state, requiring full restarts/killing the daemon exe manually. However, these are pure software issues that have been reported to Lattice Tech support repeatedly, without any improvement seen up to Diamond v3.12 (last tested).
For mass programming, this is (probably still) very frustrating, I had to go for a custom solution.

On the JTAG hardware side, it might appear as a surprise, but it may very well be that you don't see TCK glitches on a typical 1GHz scope but still get occasional misbehaviour induced by cross talk due to the very fast input buffer technology of the MACHXO* (assuming the JTAG logic is not any different). So, any programmer based on older FTDI 2232L chips without any extra buffering might likely behave unstable.

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: laugensalm on January 18, 2022, 10:50:47 am ---These issues with the Lattice Programmer are also present on a Linux system (which *should* be a more controlled environment with respect to FTDI driver issues).

--- End quote ---

It's every bit as horrible on Linux indeed.
And for the record, the FTDI "drivers" for Linux (which are not drivers per se, but a library on top of libusb) are rather bad from my experience. So, if this is what Lattice uses (which is very likely), it's not going to help.

(To get fast and reliable communication using FTDI parts on Linux, I resorted to writing my own lib (on top of libusb).  You can get some inspiration with libftdi - but back when I did this, libftdi was lacking some features, so I wrote my own one.)

jrx07:
For anyone who stumbles on this error in the future, double (triple, quadruple) check the physical connection of your programmer to your device and be sure that the voltage levels are correct. Thanks for the help everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version