Author Topic: PWR up sequence for new design using ICE5LP4K  (Read 1445 times)

Offline hostileTopic starter

• Contributor
PWR up sequence for new design using ICE5LP4K
« on: April 21, 2021, 06:06:19 pm »
First time using the ICE5LP4K and trying to verify that my power on sequence is sufficient.  I attached the sequence stated in data sheet, and my design snippets for retaliative sections.  I see a lot of public design references do not have much in controlling this power up voltage levels, is it not really important or is there something I am missing ?  I did use a voltage supervisor ( MIC803-26D4VC3 ) to make the 1V2 come up before the 3V3 by 1ms, but there isn't really anything controlling SPI_VCCIO, VPP_2V5, in that order, after VCC and before VCCIO0.   This is a small board, and if it is needed can it be done with just RC circuit or can I just ignore it ?  Small board and I am running out of room.
AC5QX

Offline Evan.Cornell

• Regular Contributor
Re: PWR up sequence for new design using ICE5LP4K
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 12:09:12 pm »
I typically do this sort of thing by choosing DC-DC converters that have both EN and PGOOD pin. Sequence #1 PGOOD goes to EN of Sequence #2 converter. PGOOD usually goes high when VOUT >= 90-95% of set-point (check datasheet on this), which fulfills the sequence requirements you posted.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 04:58:05 pm »
I typically do this sort of thing by choosing DC-DC converters that have both EN and PGOOD pin. Sequence #1 PGOOD goes to EN of Sequence #2 converter. PGOOD usually goes high when VOUT >= 90-95% of set-point (check datasheet on this), which fulfills the sequence requirements you posted.

The attached schematic has the use of EN from a dual DC to DC converter.  I can not simply drive the one into the other because the lower 1V2 has to come up first and is not enough to drive the enable for the 3V3 side.  So the added voltage monitor.   What I need to know is that the datasheet specifies 4 different pins for the ordering up powering up, when I look at other designs I do not see anyone obeying this order.  It is a real pain if I really have to add more timing for this powering on sequence
AC5QX

Offline Evan.Cornell

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 05:05:29 pm »
The attached schematic has the use of EN from a dual DC to DC converter.  I can not simply drive the one into the other because the lower 1V2 has to come up first and is not enough to drive the enable for the 3V3 side.  So the added voltage monitor.   What I need to know is that the datasheet specifies 4 different pins for the ordering up powering up, when I look at other designs I do not see anyone obeying this order.  It is a real pain if I really have to add more timing for this powering on sequence

And I'm saying you should choose a different DC-DC (either a single Dual DC-DC or two single DC-DC) that has EN and PGOOD (usually an open-drain signal pulled up to VIN, which takes care of the EN threshold), if you want to adhere strictly to the power up sequence in the spec sheet. You'd need confirmation from the vendor if you can violate the power-up sequence without issue... although that seems unlikely, since they wouldn't have listed a power-up sequence if it didn't matter.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 07:43:29 pm »
I am using the Dual, to follow the spec I need two duals or 4 singles, seems overkill to me.  Using the dual channel regulator gets me the 1.2 for VCC before 3.3V SPI_VCCIO.  I am using a diode in the attached schematic to get the 2.5V for VPP_SV5, so that comes up third as stated.  Now just need to delay the 3.3V foVCCIO0/1.  Thinking of using a FPF2000 type device.  Going to play around a little in a simulator and see what it looks like.   What a pain and it appears no one else is doing anything on public designs for this timing.  I have seen a RC on one to that it delays the 3.3V, but I the datasheets also recommend against having ferrite beads or series resistance because of the fast changing currents on the device  :palm:   That design also didn't meet the specification because all 3.3V are tied together.
AC5QX

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 09:11:16 pm »
1213843-0 [ Specified attachment is not available ] [ Specified attachment is not available ]
I am using the Dual, to follow the spec I need two duals or 4 singles, seems overkill to me.  Using the dual channel regulator gets me the 1.2 for VCC before 3.3V SPI_VCCIO.  I am using a diode in the attached schematic to get the 2.5V for VPP_SV5, so that comes up third as stated.  Now just need to delay the 3.3V foVCCIO0/1.  Thinking of using a FPF2000 type device.  Going to play around a little in a simulator and see what it looks like.   What a pain and it appears no one else is doing anything on public designs for this timing.  I have seen a RC on one to that it delays the 3.3V, but I the datasheets also recommend against having ferrite beads or series resistance because of the fast changing currents on the device  :palm:   That design also didn't meet the specification because all 3.3V are tied together.

After paying attention I caught the wording on the 4 rule of power sequence.  I apparently already doing all that is necessary.  Messed me up because it was number 1, 2, 3, 4.    |O
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:13:30 pm by hostile »
AC5QX

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf