Author Topic: Soft CPU tools  (Read 1947 times)

Offline drwho9437Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Soft CPU tools
« on: November 20, 2022, 03:25:39 am »
I have used Quartus, ISE, Vivado, and Radiant for Cyclone, Spartan, Artix and Certus-NX targets. I started with VHDL, taught in systemVerilog and now use VHDL again. I have tended to do ultra low level projects with the FPGA mostly as glue/buffer. For work that mostly is what I would probably do going forward as well.

I'm interested however in doing more custom SoC stuff perhaps, and am interested in whom do you think offers the best tools to do SoC for free. Clearly everyone offers IP but I am looking for free. In the sort of we will give you the IP blocks and tools to sell Silicon space who seems the best? I cannot really justify 1000s for licenses.

My projects would be small anyway but rather than having a separate microcontoller it might be a BOM reduction to just have a softcore CPU in my FPGA fabric for some physical measurement system designs.

What do you think the most valuable features are?

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
Re: Soft CPU tools
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 04:07:02 am »
For free and cross platform, try looking here:
https://opencores.org/projects
Look in processors.

You can also find projects on Github.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 04:25:57 am »
Xilinx offers a wide range of free IPs with their Vivado package, and that includes Microblaze softcore, which is free for any configuration (including the one with MMU which can run Linux, or even 64 bit version if that's what you want/need).

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 05:13:26 pm »
I'd recommend to stay away from anything from Opencores. Most is mediocre at best. Where it comes to softcores, stick to the ones from the major FPGA vendors. I have used the LM32 core from Lattice in a couple of projects using a Xilinx FPGA. Works pretty well, is open source and portable. The portability helps to change FPGA vendors more easely.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 06:31:59 pm »
I am well aware of open cores but don't feel it is very cohesive or documented for the most part. I am looking for good tool chains not put everything together from scratch. It might not be there for free, in which case I won't bother as an external hard-core is only 5-10 dollars more.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 07:17:42 pm »
You can always write your own.
I made my own processor which has a assembler where I made 'op-code' and registers compatible with Microchip PIC series opcode + some added goodies.  Now I just use MPLAB and build my C projects to a source .asm, then take the .asm and compile it in my compiler.  Just note that I have only done the 8bit pic and 16bit ds-pics.  Also, some of the more embedded PIC hardware like I2C, UART, PWMs are my own home made peripherals.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 07:44:48 pm »
My projects would be small anyway but rather than having a separate microcontoller it might be a BOM reduction to just have a softcore CPU in my FPGA fabric for some physical measurement system designs.

While this sentence shows you have already considered this point, I think it's worth considering some more before diving right into this CPU soft core approach, which, if you have no experience with it, is going to be a significant endeavor.

As to the BOM, except if you are already using a kinda beefy FPGA, the kind of soft core you're gonna be able to use (and associated memory from block RAM) will be pretty limited, and almost any small MCU for a couple bucks or less will beat that, with the ease of use you already are familiar with. Compared to the FPGA, the additional cost will be close to naught (unless you're using a very small and low-cost FPGA, in which case again the soft core you'll be able to use, if any, will be very very limited.) Then all that will really matter is possibly PCB area. Although one can find ridiculously small MCUs these days (like a few square mm in BGA.)

With that said, if you are really sure you want to go this path, you'll be tempted to either use a random soft core (as some have pointed out) that could be crappy and you'll spend days or weeks to debug it, or use a vendor-provided one (as some others have suggested), which will usually lock you in to a specific FPGA vendor. Which I don't particularly recommend especially these days of shortage.

So my suggestion would be to either use one of the proven RISC-V open-source cores (you can have a look at the Pulp platform for instance : https://www.pulp-platform.org/ ), or write your own as Brian said, but in that case, only if you have time to do it and any interest in doing it, as a more long-term project.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 08:00:40 pm »
OTOH there are several options to have an ARM or RISC-V core embedded in an FPGA. IIRC Gowin has several but they aren't the only ones.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 08:03:55 pm »

While this sentence shows you have already considered this point, I think it's worth considering some more before diving right into this CPU soft core approach, which, if you have no experience with it, is going to be a significant endeavor.

As to the BOM, except if you are already using a kinda beefy FPGA, the kind of soft core you're gonna be able to use (and associated memory from block RAM) will be pretty limited, and almost any small MCU for a couple bucks or less will beat that, with the ease of use you already are familiar with. Compared to the FPGA, the additional cost will be close to naught (unless you're using a very small and low-cost FPGA, in which case again the soft core you'll be able to use, if any, will be very very limited.) Then all that will really matter is possibly PCB area. Although one can find ridiculously small MCUs these days (like a few square mm in BGA.)

With that said, if you are really sure you want to go this path, you'll be tempted to either use a random soft core (as some have pointed out) that could be crappy and you'll spend days or weeks to debug it, or use a vendor-provided one (as some others have suggested), which will usually lock you in to a specific FPGA vendor. Which I don't particularly recommend especially these days of shortage.

So my suggestion would be to either use one of the proven RISC-V open-source cores (you can have a look at the Pulp platform for instance : https://www.pulp-platform.org/ ), or write your own as Brian said, but in that case, only if you have time to do it and any interest in doing it, as a more long-term project.

The Pulp thing looks pretty documented. I will look into it more. Lattice and Intel both are doing RISC-V also hopefully compilers are getting okay if that is an issue.

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 09:43:19 pm »
Opencores = crap
OpenRisc (especially the Allwinner's one) = crap ( full of bugs )
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 02:02:46 am »
Risc-V & Gcc/binutils
MIPS32 & Gcc/binutils
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline pbernardi

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 04:55:52 pm »
You might take a look at DarkRiscV:

https://github.com/darklife/darkriscv
https://www.edaplayground.com/x/yiR

It is a small core (~1500LUT) under BSD license, so you can modify whatever you want, and has all the RISC-V tools benefits.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG, DiTBho

Offline laugensalm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 09:59:36 am »
If you ask 'for free', rules are normally:
1) you only get what you don't pay for
2) you have to invest time yourself and adhere to opensource licenses

If you're looking for lean&mean low level and fully cycle accurate simulation of embedded software, I might throw in our legacy SoC builder system based on GHDL (thus, VHDL only):

https://github.com/hackfin/MaSoCist

There's a few CPU cores to choose from that focus on compactness. With some hacking into the kconfig setups, you can add your own.

WRT Opencores, I'd second the general opinion to stay away from most cores sitting in that repo.

Offline mr3141

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 03:24:21 pm »
I've written a code generator that allows to couple GHDL with verilator. It doesn't allow full mixed language simulations, but verilog modules can be integrated in GHLD simulations.
https://github.com/miree/gvi

This is useful if you want to integrate a verilog-CPU into a VHDL-SoC and simulate with only open source tools.

Offline betocool

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 11:52:01 am »
Another one here:

https://www.neorv32.org/

This one's extremely well documented. I got it running in a few minutes.

Cheers,

Alberto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf