Electronics > FPGA

SQRL Acorn as an interesting Artix-7 board?

<< < (33/34) > >>

SMB784:

--- Quote from: SMB784 on October 28, 2021, 11:35:42 pm ---I fixed the error I described in my previous post. Apparently /dev/xdma0_user needed read/write permissions before it would allow me to upload a bitstream via the thunderbolt connection.  However, the new problem is that uploading a bitstream appears to crash my computer. More on that as I find out.

--- End quote ---

Nothing shows up in the logs during the lock-up/crash, and the device is being properly detected as a PCI card, so I'm not quite sure whats happening here.  Checked htop, it crashes so fast that there's time for htop to update cpu/ram usage for any running processes.  Log/crash behavior evidence attached.  So close, if we can get this worked out I think this thunderbolt enclosure will be an excellent way to turn this into a very workable dev board.

SMB784:
Alright so after hitting a dead end trying to upload the Nitefury github repo via PCIe, I gave up and installed LiteX.

That went much more successfully.  I was able to communicate with the SQRL in the thunderbolt enclosure via the thunderbolt USB-C cable, and I was also able to upload new bitstreams via the PCIe connection (avoiding the need for a separate JTAG), and do a dma test (see attached photo).

The SQRL Acorn is now officially a USB connected PCIe FPGA.  I am currently working on integrating the LiteX PCIe core into my basic loadout bitstream so that once flashed the SQRL Acorn can be fully tested, including all GPIO outputs, PCIe connection, and DMA.  I will update the github when I am finished, and merge this into a separate post.

Teknoman117:
I never actually managed to get the NiteFury (A200T) project to work on the CLE-215+. This includes even setting the LEDs. The A100T project did work on the LiteFury I bought last year.

SMB784:

--- Quote from: Teknoman117 on November 13, 2021, 07:18:25 pm ---I never actually managed to get the NiteFury (A200T) project to work on the CLE-215+. This includes even setting the LEDs. The A100T project did work on the LiteFury I bought last year.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I spoke with Dave Reynolds of RHS Research (he runs the Nitefury project), and he said that he had to do some black magic with the spi-loader program to get it to properly interface with the SQRL board, and he couldn't remember how to do it anymore, so that wound up as a dead end.

But, I figured a way around this issue.  Litepcie provided by LiteX works just fine (in fact its a smaller core than the Xilinx PCIe via XDMA).  I was able to integrate this with my thunderbolt enclosure, and now I have a USB-C programmable FPGA with full speed x4 lane PCIe connection.  I described this in a separate thread on this forum:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/fpga/pcie-over-usb-interface-for-sqrl-acornnitefury-cle-215()/

Teknoman117:
From you other pictures you posted, I'm curious how you removed the thermal epoxy holding the heatsink down without ruining anything? The stock heatsink+fan is terribly annoying...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version