Author Topic: Substitute for lattice ispvm tool (because of missing Win10 USB Drivers )  (Read 5813 times)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
I thought about trying to get around the driver but again, my license was locked to my old PC and had expired.    Looking at their site, it seems like everything they offer is a subscription now.   Obviously what I had was not perpetual but I don't remember having to pay them for a license.  I guess if we need to change anything, we will deal with it then, when it's a crisis.    :-DD     I'll continue to follow along in case you come up with a work around.  Good luck.

https://www.latticestore.com/products/tabid/417/pageindex/1/searchid/1/searchvalue/lsc-sw/default.aspx

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: Substitute for lattice ivspm 18 programming tool (because of Win10)
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2022, 02:46:09 pm »
...Are not allowed to use... :-X
I guess they disconnected the mice and keyboards as well? How can you work in such an evironment?

I work with engineers at one of our National Labs, and their security rules are quite explicit -- no USB flash things, period. These things really are security nightmares.

It's not an IT issue, as such. It is very much part of the organization's necessary security infrastructure.

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Exactly this.

A few minutes ago I was on the lattice page and downloaded the "Programmer Cable Guide".
They recommend the HW-USBN-2B cable (which I also got at work but never used) but it´s strange, this cable doesn´t support 5V types, only up to 3.3V.
Where the older cable (2A) supports EVERYTHING... :P
And this one sentence in the guide is a lie:

4. Programming Software
Diamond Programmer and ispVM System for Classic devices is the preferred programming management software tool for all Lattice devices and download cables. The latest version of Lattice Diamond Programmer or ispVM System software is available for download from the Lattice web site at www.latticesemi.com/programmer.

There is nothing ...
Programming tool is integrated in the Diamond suite - But I/we just want to program PLDs, nothing else, we only need the stand-alone programming tool which is not downloadable..
...If this would be the solution for the win10 driver problems...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 04:06:02 pm by Martin72 »

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Hi,

Yes this is what you will always see there - But it´s not the full programm, only somekind of add-on... :-//

Meanwhile I´ve installed the whole diamond 3.12 suite here on my private notebook, won´t start without a license.
So I logged in again and choose a free license.
You have to enter the physical address of your network adaptor to get one...
The quickstart "guide" in the mail is somekind of irritating, in fact you have to copy the dat.file into the license folder of the diamond software.
then starting was not a problem anymore, under "tools" you find "programmer" but it was greyed out:
I do not have the programmer here at home... :P

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
I installed their latest Diamond software with the free license on Windows 10 which included their most recent drivers for the 2A.   I can load my old Classic projects and it appears to communicate with the cable just fine.  I would need to pull a board from stock to try and program one but from the following, I have little doubt it would work.

ERROR - Lattice HW-USBN-2A cable detected on USB Port.
However, the board power is not turned ON.

So, the question now is why does mine work and yours does not.  Did you install that second service pack as well?

Looking at device manager, it appears to be the same old driver which doesn't make a lot of sense as it was unable locate it before when I tried it with the Classic. 

Added cable settings (auto detected)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 04:18:34 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Hi,

So, the question now is why does mine work and yours does not.  Did you install that second service pack as well?

I´ve installed the diamond software at home.
At work, I´ve got the lattice ivspm 18.1 software on the notebook (win10) and it won´t find the programming adaptor because of the missing driver.
I want to test the diamond on my home notebook first before "making noise" at work and force/please the IT to install it on every notebook.
I got the diamond software running, but didn´t have the programmer here, could test it next monday.

Martin

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
I am running Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19044 Build 19044.      The 18.1 is what I had used last time I touched Lattice and I could not get to run.   The free license for Diamond will not allow it to run so I can try it with these drivers installed.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 04:40:23 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Does anybody have the diamond programmer only software 3.12 ?
I give up to ask lattice for it... :--
You do´t have a chance to ask a simple question on the site.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
Does anybody have the diamond programmer only software 3.12 ?
I give up to ask lattice for it... :--
You do´t have a chance to ask a simple question on the site.

Start here.

Linux version.

Windows version.

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Sorry, but it´s not the programming only version I´m looking for.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
Sorry, but it´s not the programming only version I´m looking for.

... but you asked, "Does anybody have the diamond programmer only software 3.12 ?"

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Hmm...
My english seems to be very bad, sorry for that.
With programmer-only I´ve meant the software which allows only to program the plds with jedec files.
There´s a link to it, but when you following it, it will be only an "encryption pack", not the whole programm itself.

https://www.latticesemi.com/en/Products/DesignSoftwareAndIP/ProgrammingAndConfigurationSw/Programmer

When you scroll down you find the so called encryption packs.

When you try to install it, installation will be aborted with the message, there is no Diamond Programmer 3.12 present.
But this you won´t find on the site..
Therefore my question if somebody got it.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
Hmm...
My english seems to be very bad, sorry for that.
With programmer-only I´ve meant the software which allows only to program the plds with jedec files.
There´s a link to it, but when you following it, it will be only an "encryption pack", not the whole programm itself.

https://www.latticesemi.com/en/Products/DesignSoftwareAndIP/ProgrammingAndConfigurationSw/Programmer

When you scroll down you find the so called encryption packs.

When you try to install it, installation will be aborted with the message, there is no Diamond Programmer 3.12 present.
But this you won´t find on the site..
Therefore my question if somebody got it.

I'm pretty sure the things to which I linked are what you need.

Offline MazeFrame

• Contributor
  • = != ==
Re: Substitute for lattice ispvm tool (because of missing Win10 USB Drivers )
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2022, 04:15:27 pm »
The Setup:
Was tasked to look into this at work.
Spent a long time poking Lattice support only to get the least helpful replies out of them. Along the lines of "Buy a new thing", which I totally would, except the department that needs their programmers to work has probably thought of that "solution" on their own.

So, elbow long gloves and hazmat suit on, diving into the mysteries that is windows drivers.  |O
Turns out, Windows really does not like the checksum failing, but that can be gotten round by clicking ignore when prompted.
The "catalogue file" (= bunch of checksums) being off will hard-fail the driver install.

Solution:
First off, for those in corporate environments, get your IT-Dept. involved since most endpoint protections will prevent windows from entering advanced boot options. In my case, disabling the various protection mechanisms was not enough, had to temporarily uninstall the EP.
Secondly: This is a workaround for now. According to the one guy with this setup deployed, it still requires re-plugging the programmer for the drivers to load correctly. I got no details, not my department.  :-//

For those familiar with disabling driver signature enforcement, just do that.

For everyone else:
  • Get the Anti Virus/Endpoint protection out of the way!
  • WinKey: Search for "Advanced Start-Up" Click that restart button1583395-0
  • Your computer may think about this for a moment. In my case, I had to plug the laptop into an external monitor for this screen to show up correctly.  :wtf:
  • On the blue screen with a couple of buttons, click on the text "See more recovery options"
  • On this new screen, click "Start-Up Settings", there press the restart button in the corner
  • You are now being prompted for Startup Settings (Yes, Windows is that inconsistent in spelling Start-Up/Startup!) Option 7 "Disable Driver signature enforcement" is what you are after
  • Log into an account with admin rights and install the driver from the driver package following the prompts (ignore/yes past all the errors and warnings)
  • Windows now sees the programmer in device manager, right-click the device (probably in "Unknown Devices") and select "Update Driver"
  • Select "Browse my Computer for Drivers" and point Windows at the directory with the drivers
  • If you have done everything correctly, you now get a big scary prompt. Click "Install anyway"1583401-1
  • Windows should almost instantly finde the driver and reclassify the programmer as "USB-Controller"
  • Reboot the machine

In corporate environments, enable/reinstall the AV/EP again and hand the machine back to its user  ;)
Never Forgive, Always Forget.
Perpetually Angry and Confused!

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf