Author Topic: TL866CS on Linux/ WINE  (Read 3337 times)

Offline CentriciumTopic starter

• Infinite Loops
TL866CS on Linux/ WINE
« on: May 23, 2020, 12:24:33 am »
I have one of the older TL866CS programmers that I am trying to get to work using the windows version of minipro.exe on ubuntu/ Linux Mint - latest updates. The prorgammer works 100% fine on Windows 10 (I have dual boot laptop). The programmer also works fine via the command line open source software on Linux...I just can't get the minipro to get recognized by the windows software via WINE.

I did follow the directions here >> https://reversatronics.blogspot.com/2016/12/tl866-minipro-under-linux.html

It still says at the bottom of the minipro winodow "no device"

When I do lsusb at the command line it does list the minipro device -
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 04d8:e11c Microchip Technology, Inc. TL866CS EEPROM Programmer [MiniPRO]

BTW I did try to use Virtualbox to run windows from Linux but my hardware doesn't support it.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris
If you don't smell something burning, that's a good sign...

Offline greenpossum

• Frequent Contributor
Re: TL866CS on Linux/ WINE
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 12:42:33 am »
Never tried running it under Wine. I have XP in a Virtualbox VM for running the manufacturer tool. I wonder in what way your hardware doesn't support Windows inside a VM. Does it not have the virtualisation support in the BIOS or something else?

• Infinite Loops
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:26:43 am »
Yep VB says VT-X / AMD-V virtualization hardware not present (it's an older 2012 vintage HP laptop) - screenshot attached...

Offline greenpossum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 05:30:31 am »
Ok, if it's not an option in the BIOS, nothing can be done. But maybe you could run a 32-bit Windows OS without it. AFAIK it's needed for 64-bit OSes.

Offline Wiljan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 02:06:37 pm »

• Infinite Loops
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 05:19:00 pm »
Actually your mention of the BIOS made me take a look ... I had to enable SVM Secure Virtual Machine - did not realize that was it! It worked - was able to install and run Win 10 1909 in VB ... next I will install and run the Minipro software....should work fine now....I just wanted to be able to stay in Linux...cool! Thanks, Chris

• Infinite Loops
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 04:58:14 pm »
Just a quick update - I got the MiniPro.exe windows software to work with the TL866CS device on usb...but I had to do a few tasks that I found in various places in a google search...it seems not everything is in one place...

1. Had to install VB guest extensions from within the VB windows 10 guest window (it's free but closed source from Oracle).
2. Had to add my linux user id to the vboxusers group -
           sudo usermod -aG vboxusers <username>      (just replace <username> with your userid)
3. After reboot of VM and Linux - restart VB and in the VB Devices/ USB menu select the minipro device.
4. Run Minipro (after installing it and the USB driver within Win 10 guest if not already as in my case)

Attached is the screenshot with minipro running and the TL866CS recognized.

YAY!

Can't get it to work through WINE still but I will use it via VB now anyway....

Chris

Offline greenpossum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 11:12:21 pm »
 :-+

Offline LuisRene5

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 11:50:58 pm »
Hi Chris,

I also tried to use miniprog.exe using wine under linux, but i couldn't. However, I found  an open source program for controlling the MiniPRO TL866 developed by David Griffith. Only you have to do it typing commands in the terminal. But works perfectly!

Check it here ... https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/minipro/

this is an example, you have to search for the correct name device and that is it!

$ minipro -p ATMEGA48 -w atmega48.bin
$ minipro -p ATMEGA48 -r atmega48.bin

cheers,

Luis Vela

Offline c32

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 02:35:35 pm »
did you copy setupapi.dll correctly? I was getting errors and had to compile it myself

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf