Author Topic: TL866II+ - what to select to program PALCE22V10H ?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline eda8039Topic starter

TL866II+ - what to select to program PALCE22V10H ?
« on: August 15, 2021, 04:07:49 am »
I have a new TL866II+  and some Lattice PALCE22V10H chips.   I See that the IC select menu have GAL22V10's  B, C, D.   Which one is most compatible ?   Should I use the lowest possible programming voltage selection ?

THanks

Offline xjordanx

• Contributor
Re: TL866II+ - what to select to program PALCE22V10H ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 07:57:22 pm »
I have the same programmer, and I have some of the same chips.

I can tell you with a fair degree of confidence that any programmer you can get, even OLD (80s) that's under $200-$300 on eBay, can NOT program PALCE devices. Those are electrically erasable and to this day AMD and Lattice NEVER published the programming / erase algorithm. It's a closely guarded secret only shared with their NDA signed business partners (like XL-tech or BK Precision).

I am annoyed as you are, because I thought a generic GAL/PAL programmer could do it, but come to find out after eagerly pulling and collecting the chips out of old telco gear, unless I'm also willing to setup a DOS computer with 8-bit ISA card (dedicated to the programmer) and spend a few hundred dollars on the used programmer that might not even work...

Honestly, you're better off buying some of the cheap GAL22V10s still in production by Atmel/Microchip because the TL-866 II+ DOES work with those. And heck, the parts are only a dollar or two each.

Offline Beta_vulgaris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 04:13:41 am »
I have the same programmer, and I have some of the same chips.

I can tell you with a fair degree of confidence that any programmer you can get, even OLD (80s) that's under $200-$300 on eBay, can NOT program PALCE devices. Those are electrically erasable and to this day AMD and Lattice NEVER published the programming / erase algorithm. It's a closely guarded secret only shared with their NDA signed business partners (like XL-tech or BK Precision).

I am annoyed as you are, because I thought a generic GAL/PAL programmer could do it, but come to find out after eagerly pulling and collecting the chips out of old telco gear, unless I'm also willing to setup a DOS computer with 8-bit ISA card (dedicated to the programmer) and spend a few hundred dollars on the used programmer that might not even work...

Honestly, you're better off buying some of the cheap GAL22V10s still in production by Atmel/Microchip because the TL-866 II+ DOES work with those. And heck, the parts are only a dollar or two each.
PALCE programming differs from GAL/Bipolar PAL, the only similarity is that all of them utilize some sort of "High-Voltage PGMMODE".
Electronics, Geospatial, Aerospace
Programmable Logic Devices (PLD) Programming Algorithm Preservation

Offline YetAnotherTechie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 11:24:48 pm »
I'm curious about this part of your signature, could you please elaborate?

Offline Beta_vulgaris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 11:38:58 am »
I'm curious about this part of your signature, could you please elaborate?
For most PLDs, the programming algorithms, even programming pinout information, are unavailable to end-users. Only the large programmer manufacturers can be provided with the programming information. Their obsolete programmers are becoming more difficult to be acquired. So, rather than while our descendents observating the old devices (often more and more durable and tolerant than today's) to decay during the longevity of geological chronology, we can make something valuable and meaningful - preserve their algorithms to prolong the contents inside.

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 07:33:53 am »
I can program PALCEs, have sadly none, I have a logic analyzer too, could do some trace capture. I wonder if aliexpresses PALCEs are any good... I socked on GALs already, aliexpress GALs :)

Offline Beta_vulgaris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 09:09:12 am »
I can program PALCEs, have sadly none, I have a logic analyzer too, could do some trace capture. I wonder if aliexpresses PALCEs are any good... I socked on GALs already, aliexpress GALs :)
Welcomed to preserve the algorithms!

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 04:48:24 am »
I bought some PALCE22V10H, I'll try with my programmer and see how it goes. I suppose GALAsm can generate a fuse map for it, i.e. it is compatible with GAL22V10 ? Or will I have to use WINCupl ?

Offline Beta_vulgaris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 04:50:11 pm »
I bought some PALCE22V10H, I'll try with my programmer and see how it goes. I suppose GALAsm can generate a fuse map for it, i.e. it is compatible with GAL22V10 ? Or will I have to use WINCupl ?
Fusemaps are the same.

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 04:28:03 am »
PALCEs arrived yesterday, I made a small rig to access the pins and started by reading the already programmed fuse map. Uses 8 V on PIN 2 (at least) to read. Needs loads of work but it is doable.

Offline Beta_vulgaris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 05:27:38 am »
PALCEs arrived yesterday, I made a small rig to access the pins and started by reading the already programmed fuse map. Uses 8 V on PIN 2 (at least) to read. Needs loads of work but it is doable.
Programming pinout just like the GAL?

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 02:06:28 pm »
I see some toggling  on pins 13..22 when on read.

Programming requires 9 V on several pins:

CH1 PIN  1 yellow, clock, zooming shows a different picture: a data signal with an "embedded clock" (tek0000)
CH2 PIN  2 cyan    9 V
CH3 PIN  5 Violette, some kind of command/data signal
CH4 PIN  4 green   9 V

I have to do some more captures to see the other pins, more to come.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 02:21:05 pm by ale500 »

Offline Beta_vulgaris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 03:49:34 pm »
I see some toggling  on pins 13..22 when on read.

Programming requires 9 V on several pins:

CH1 PIN  1 yellow, clock, zooming shows a different picture: a data signal with an "embedded clock" (tek0000)
CH2 PIN  2 cyan    9 V
CH3 PIN  5 Violette, some kind of command/data signal
CH4 PIN  4 green   9 V

I have to do some more captures to see the other pins, more to come.
Bipolar RZ code on pin 1?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf