Author Topic: Video Upscaling and Overscan  (Read 712 times)

Offline Mario87Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Video Upscaling and Overscan
« on: August 09, 2022, 06:46:54 am »
Hi all,

I am working on a project where I am taking in a 720x576, 50Hz, interlaced video feed and then de-interlacing and upscaling to 1920x1080, 60Hz, progressive video to be output over HDMI.

I have used the Xilinx VPSS IP and I have this working really well at the moment. However, the device I am capturing video from is from an era of CRT displays, so there is significant overscaling which results in a black border all the way around the screen.

The systems does not have a DE (active video) signal to feed into the 'Video In to AXI Stream' IP, so I am using the VBLANK & HBLANK signals to tell the IP when the active video is available using the following logic:

active_video <= ~vblank & ~hblank

However, I can see that to fix the overscaling issue I need to use some other method to identify to the 'Video In to AXI Stream' IP where the active video I want to display actually is.

What I was thinking is to generate my own custom VBLANK & HBLANK signals by looking for a fixed point (beginning of HBLANK for example), then counting clock cycles, setting my custom HBLANK high when I need it, counting clock cycles while high, then setting it to low when I no longer need it and repeat.

The same could also be done for VBLANK.

Is that a sound way to go about this, or is there a different, more efficient way? With my way it just relies in a single known point such as HBLANK / VBLANK going high for 1 time, then after that it is just counting clock cycles over and over.

Any thoughts / suggestions appreciated!

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Video Upscaling and Overscan
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 01:44:39 pm »
For VBLANK, you'll want to count HSYNC pulses instead, but you got the general idea.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: Mario87

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf