Electronics > FPGA

Which FPGA chip do you think is much better between Xilinx and Altera?

(1/2) > >>

mazhongqiang:
Which FPGA chip do you think is much better between Xilinx and Altera?Which one is used in designing circuits  more  general?If you select one of the two chips,please list its advantages compared with the other.Pardon me,my English level is much worse.THank you! :) :) :) :) :) :)

mrflibble:
Oh cool! We haven't had a decent fpga flame war for a while. Usually it's one of those lame avr vs pic affairs, hardly worth the term war. Those are more like a flame skirmish. Flame kerfuffles really.

Altera tools are a little less crappy, xilinx documentation is a little less crappy. There, I said it. Both sides have some crap that you will have to deal with, and what crap you want to deal with depends on your preferences.

At any rate, both xilinx & altera fpga's are perfectly capable. What you would pick would depend more on your typical project... Soooo, how about you give us a bit more detail about what you are looking for? That way you can get a bit more specific advice. :)

Fsck:
isn't this like asking what's the best screw size for general use?

also, neither are chips. they're companies with huge portfolios of products.

Stonent:

--- Quote from: Fsck on December 21, 2013, 04:55:30 am ---isn't this like asking what's the best screw size for general use?

also, neither are chips. they're companies with huge portfolios of products.

--- End quote ---

The best one is the one that correctly functions under all the conditions your product will encounter, at a performance level that will not cause the end user to be dissatisfied with your product, that allows your employer's stock price to go up the most.

:-DD

trackman44:
The best way to answer your question is what do you need it to do? Do the research on both chips, find out what they are capable of, what products are they implemented in ( i.e. watch Dave's teardown videos of products with FPGAs), read reviews, come to a conclusion and choose the chip that meets your design goals. It's not about what's better, it's about which one will work for you and you feel more comfortable with.

Will

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version