Author Topic: work around VHDL's lack of a preprocessor  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Bassman59Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
work around VHDL's lack of a preprocessor
« on: September 23, 2021, 12:04:21 am »
In all of my years doing VHDL I've never needed a preprocessor. Until now.

I am working on a command parser that is meant to be used on a number of design variants. For the most part, the commands set (and get) parameters. Each variant implements most of the commands, but there are a handful of things used by one variant which don't exist in the others. The command space is 256 possible entries, of which most are not implemented.

Something higher up provides a command token along with an argument. After parsing the command, a response is sent to the higher up.

All of the various parameters are wrapped up into a nice record type. This makes the entity's port list manageable, and it also makes it straightforward to have variant-specific parameter lists: just define the record type with the parameters needed. There is no need to change the parser entity port list.

The command parser boils down to a big case statement, with the command token as the selector. Any commands not implemented fall through the "when others" and the response to higher up indicates "not implemented."

Here's the rub. Like I said, each variant has some special commands which don't exist in the other variants. It Would Be Nice if there was a C-style pre-processor which can exclude certain lines from analysis. VHDL-2008 does not have such a feature. (The good news is that it has been added to VHDL-2019, but I expect to be well into retirement by the time the tools support it.)

Is there a "good" way of excluding, at compile time, individual "when" entries in the case statement? The reason is that if a parameter is not defined for a variant, then it's not in the record type and you can't have it appear at all in the "when" section. Some code:

Code: [Select]
Decoder : case token is
    when CMD_XYZ =>
        -- VARIANT is a generic:
        if VARIANT = THIS_ONE then
            -- XYZ is in the THIS_ONE version of the params record, but not in any other
            params.XYZ <= argument;
            response <= HANDLED;
        else
            response <= NOT_IMPLEMENTED;
        end if;

when others =>
        response <= NOT_IMPLEMENTED;

In CMD_XYZ the analyzer will always consider both the true and the false conditions, so even if VARIANT is not THIS_ONE, the analyzer expects params.XYZ to be defined. Like I said, a pre-processor is the simple solution.

I suppose the workarounds are:

1. Have an architecture for each variant, which is selected in the usual way at instantiation of the entity, or

2. Write what I did in the example, and actually include all of the possible parameters even if not used, and assume the synthesizer will optimize away the actual assignments to the unused parameters. Remember VARIANT is a generic and THIS_ONE is a constant.

There's an added complication: all of these parameters get written to non-volatile storage and that's a somewhat precious resource and I'd rather not waste space in it for parameters that are not used.

Please don't say "Use SystemVerilog" even if that language has such support!

Hope this is clear enough and makes sense ...

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
Re: work around VHDL's lack of a preprocessor
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 04:24:49 am »
What you described (propagating a constant to prune conditionals/states) works ok, by wrapping it in if's at that level makes it clearer to the tools. Messy code but gets the job done.

An alternative would be to make the tools realise some of the literals of the enum aren't possible on the case expression (state machines are pruned/optimised like this). A function in the package declaring the enum that takes all the possible inputs and translates it to the set implemented in that variant?

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 05:51:52 am »
Coming from the world of programming in C and other languages, VHDL is in desperate need of a preprocessor in my opinion. In C, you can, for example, comment out a section of code with '/*' and '*/'. Or you can define macros to conditionally enable/disable sections of code. I found from day one of learning VHDL how inadequate it is without a preprocessor, but have no choice when the company/customer require it to be written in VHDL. Perhaps someone has written a preprocessor for VHDL to do those things, but unfortunately even if it existed, it's likely not integrated with the development environment, nor is standard VHDL (before the preprocessor) and to which the company/customer would likely complain being it wouldn't be readable by other engineers.

Offline Just_another_Dave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 07:15:12 am »
There is a project called vhdlpp which allows to configure VHDL code before  synthesizing it. Itseems quite similar to cppmake: http://vhdlpp.sourceforge.net/README

Nevertheless, generics are normally the recommended way of achieving that, as they avoid problems that copypasting a macro could cause

The following users thanked this post: paf

Online brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 08:21:56 am »
What's wrong with just having your build system run the actual C preprocessor?

The following users thanked this post: paf

Offline paf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 09:31:12 am »
From the  web page: 
VHDLproc is a simple command line VHDL preprocessor written in Python following the conditional compilation directives outlined in VHDL-2019, with a few extensions.
https://github.com/nobodywasishere/VHDLproc

So, this may give you the macro extensions of VHDL-2019, without VHDL-2019. Disclaimer: I have not tried it.

Other suggestions may be valid or not, depending on the languages you may already know, like or want to know more.

M4  -- is present on all Unix machines, and is useful for other things. 
https://www.gnu.org/software/m4/manual/index.html
https://mbreen.com/m4.html

In TCL you have these two preprocessors:

G2
http://users.telenet.be/koen.vandamme1/c_tools/g2/_index.htm
Expand
https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/expand

I have used the first, to pre-process Verilog.

Jinja  -- in Python 
https://jinja.palletsprojects.com/en/3.0.x/

Free Marker -- in Java
https://freemarker.apache.org

You have lots of choices.

The following users thanked this post: Just_another_Dave

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 02:54:36 pm »
Coming from the world of programming in C and other languages, VHDL is in desperate need of a preprocessor in my opinion. In C, you can, for example, comment out a section of code with '/*' and '*/'. Or you can define macros to conditionally enable/disable sections of code. I found from day one of learning VHDL how inadequate it is without a preprocessor, but have no choice when the company/customer require it to be written in VHDL. Perhaps someone has written a preprocessor for VHDL to do those things, but unfortunately even if it existed, it's likely not integrated with the development environment, nor is standard VHDL (before the preprocessor) and to which the company/customer would likely complain being it wouldn't be readable by other engineers.

C-style block comments /* */ are actually already included in VHDL-2008 -- see LRM section 15.9. It's easy enough to select a block of code and do C-c C-c in emacs, though. But that doesn't solve my problem, which is to be able to include or exclude blocks of code within a process at analysis time.

For my purposes, my company has no particular style requirements, so I can use whatever I want, as long as I document what I'm doing. (Mainly so I remember what the hell I did.)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 02:57:07 pm »

To be honest, I hadn't thought about that, although the build environment is basically the vendor tools.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 03:03:00 pm »
There is a project called vhdlpp which allows to configure VHDL code before  synthesizing it. Itseems quite similar to cppmake: http://vhdlpp.sourceforge.net/README

Nevertheless, generics are normally the recommended way of achieving that, as they avoid problems that copypasting a macro could cause

That "preprocessor" seems to be just a way to cleverly comment-out code.

Generics should drive the process (not the VHDL process) of determining what gets included and excluded. But the usual way of doing that is to have generate statements which use the generics, and that works well for things like replicating entity instances and blocks of code, all sorts of things. But generates don't work within a process.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 03:08:18 pm »
From the  web page: 
VHDLproc is a simple command line VHDL preprocessor written in Python following the conditional compilation directives outlined in VHDL-2019, with a few extensions.
https://github.com/nobodywasishere/VHDLproc

So, this may give you the macro extensions of VHDL-2019, without VHDL-2019. Disclaimer: I have not tried it.

Oh, wow, that looks like it might be the ticket! I'll play with it and report back. This is especially interesting because it won't require any source code changes once the tool vendors finally decide to support VHDL-2019 (in like 20 years).

Other suggestions may be valid or not, depending on the languages you may already know, like or want to know more.

M4  -- is present on all Unix machines, and is useful for other things. 
https://www.gnu.org/software/m4/manual/index.html
https://mbreen.com/m4.html

My first and last time looking at M4 macros was a zillion years ago when I looked (very briefly) at possibly using gEDA for schematics and PCB layout. I think they used M4 macros to define footprints. I cannot imagine a less user-friendly way to do that.

gEDA was such a disaster and the developers were so openly hostile to suggestions that I ignored it. Anyway.

In TCL you have these two preprocessors:

G2
http://users.telenet.be/koen.vandamme1/c_tools/g2/_index.htm
Expand
https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/expand

I have used the first, to pre-process Verilog.

Jinja  -- in Python 
https://jinja.palletsprojects.com/en/3.0.x/

Free Marker -- in Java
https://freemarker.apache.org

You have lots of choices.

I'll look at those, thanks.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 03:50:17 pm »
What you described (propagating a constant to prune conditionals/states) works ok, by wrapping it in if's at that level makes it clearer to the tools. Messy code but gets the job done.

An alternative would be to make the tools realise some of the literals of the enum aren't possible on the case expression (state machines are pruned/optimised like this). A function in the package declaring the enum that takes all the possible inputs and translates it to the set implemented in that variant?

I'm not sure what that function is supposed to do?

Remember the thing is a command decoder, and each command basically updates signals used elsewhere in the design. By this I mean: the TRIGGER command asserts a trigger strobe to the data-capture machine. The SET_TEMPERATURE command loads a DAC used as a temperature set-point. The rub is that for example SET_PARAMETER_FOO, which updates a parameter called FOO, exists only in variant A, not in B, C or D.

After thinking about this overnight, if I can't get that VHDL-2019 pre-processor Python thing to work, I will just bite the bullet and declare the parameter record to hold all parameters that exist in all variants, and then use a generic to gate on commands which exist in a given variant. After the synthesizer gets through with the code, the unused stuff will get optimized away, with a host of red warnings in the report. The memory map for the parameters in the non-volatile storage will have some holes in it for one variant or another (the map itself is the same for all variants), but that's fine. It's not like I have a thousand parameters to manage.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 05:06:55 pm »
Yes, the only way of doing this in VHDL is to use "if" statements as you did.
When the "if" clause is known at compile-time and is false, the corresponding code will just get pruned. Likewise, any signal (including record members) that is not used in a design will get pruned. So this is the exact equivalent of a preprocessor.

What would  a preprocessor bring here?
One thing to realize is that many features of VHDL, when they can be evaluated at compile-time, are actually equivalent to preprocessing - just much better.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 05:18:43 pm by SiliconWizard »

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 09:43:08 pm »

It's really going to depend on what you are allowed to get away with changing:

I've done this in the past when I have needed a pre-processor, for example an assembler that did not support include files. I've also needed to write my own pre-processors which are typically very simple programs. But you also need to either modify a default build rule which I don't like doing or add a build rule + dependency to the makefile which may also require modifying the dependency generator and if you are using a source editor with syntax support you may need to modify your editors config as well. On large projects it may not be possible to change the build procedures and at least the build teams I have worked with could best be described as change adverse. I've checked in the processed source files and just kept the custom build tools within the team in these cases.

It can also piss off other developers when you change the build tools especially if you change a tool for example create your own make. Don't expect other developers to ever read readme.txt.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 10:49:03 pm »
Generics should drive the process (not the VHDL process) of determining what gets included and excluded.
You might be limiting your scope/applications of generics thinking of them this way. They are a fancy constant, that can be set at compile time to differentiate the entity from other instantiations (be that within the same project, or between projects, or at different times, etc, etc).

You need a function/assignment/process that the tools recognise will only ever have a subset of the "states" of the enum coming out of them. Think of it as the next step after constant propagation, set reduction/pruning. I've not tested this for the general sense, but the major tools are certainly doing this for state machines (particularly when spread across multiple processes). They know which states are unused in a case select and optimise them out automatically.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 02:10:51 am »
Generics should drive the process (not the VHDL process) of determining what gets included and excluded.
You might be limiting your scope/applications of generics thinking of them this way. They are a fancy constant, that can be set at compile time to differentiate the entity from other instantiations (be that within the same project, or between projects, or at different times, etc, etc).

Oh, believe me, I love to use generics for many things. I use them for setting part revisions and beta build constants (as read back over some communications link). I use them to set clock division ratios for, say, an SPI peripheral. If it's a constant that I might want to override, I make it a generic!

You need a function/assignment/process that the tools recognise will only ever have a subset of the "states" of the enum coming out of them. Think of it as the next step after constant propagation, set reduction/pruning. I've not tested this for the general sense, but the major tools are certainly doing this for state machines (particularly when spread across multiple processes). They know which states are unused in a case select and optimise them out automatically.

Ohhh, wait, I think I am getting the idea!

Let's begin with my command parser description. I create an enumeration that defines all possible command tokens for all design variants. A signal of that type is the case expression. (Just like a state machine.) Each entry in the enumeration is a selector in the case statement. Each selector drives some signals. This case statement therefore covers all possible design variants.

Even if a particular variant will never get some of the defined commands (this is guaranteed because I control both sides of the command-sending pipe), the selectors for the commands will still exist. Now if there is nothing connected to those signals (this is in the variant-specific code), then we might assume that the tools will recognize this and work backwards and ultimately optimize away the case selector.

But the problem is that in the system, every command sent to the FPGA gets a response back. Unimplemented and undefined commands get a response that says, "not supported!" (Again, because I control both ends of the communications, undefined commands are never sent ... but we should be prudent and define what happens when such an event occurs.)

It is because of the requirement that a response is returned that I have to work out what happens if the unimplemented for this variant command is mistakenly sent.

So then what is needed is a "prescreener" function: the input is the command token. The function has a variant-specific mechanism (lookup table?) that replaces unsupported commands with a default "not implemented" command. If the command is supported, the output is the input command. This lookup is all a ROM made at compile time. The output of this function is used as the case expression. (I think VHDL-2008 even allows for the function call to be part of the case expression; if not, whatever, I'll make an intermediate signal.)

Aside: I think I can use a package generic to choose which variant's lookup table is used in that function. The function will be in the same package.

Will it result in the unpossible command selectors being optimized away? There's only one way to find out: code it and synthesize it, which will be project for tomorrow.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 07:42:12 pm »
In synthesizable code, functions and procedures in VHDL can only be evaluated at compile time - thus when properly used, they give fancy preprocessing features.

Then, outside of processes, you can use 'generate' blocks. (if generate / for generate). They also give you the equivalent of a conventional preprocessor. You can't use them inside a process though, so in this context, you can use 'if' statements as I said above - if the clause is known at compile time, this will be equivalent to preprocessing - and also functions and procedures.

With all this, I actually almost never see a need for an additional preprocessor.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 11:19:39 pm »
The 'generate' statement is the way to get this kind of things done.

Using the 'if' statement is just as messy as littering C code with #ifdefs. It doesn't result in code that is very maintanable so some restructuring needs to be done to have a better isolation between the variants. Perhaps using an array with initialised value pairs that defines the behaviour of each while using generic code is a way to deal with the problem.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 11:23:06 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 02:11:58 am »
In synthesizable code, functions and procedures in VHDL can only be evaluated at compile time - thus when properly used, they give fancy preprocessing features.
That might be a bad use of the term "evaluated", since both functions and processes are synthesiseable and used to produce complex combinatorial results (the majority of ieee packages are functions alongside operator overrides which are functions themselves). So they are most certainly evaluated at runtime.

Things that are only evaluated at compile time are called static.

Except generate is restricted in scope, so cant be placed inside the case select. At which point the OP would be replicating/cut/pasting the different variants of their case select into different generate clauses (no else on generate!). Its absolutely the wrong way to do it, the if statements with constants to gate them is much more maintainable/readable since the common parts are repeated in separate lines. Perhaps you could provide an example following the OPs excellent post with their sample code....

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 05:15:07 pm »
That might be a bad use of the term "evaluated", since both functions and processes are synthesiseable and used to produce complex combinatorial results (the majority of ieee packages are functions alongside operator overrides which are functions themselves). So they are most certainly evaluated at runtime.

Nope nope. This was a carefully choosen term here.

You show a misconception of what functions and procedures are in VHDL, or you just didn't understand or even read what I wrote. When synthesized, they can ONLY be evaluated at compile-time. They always yield static logic structures that reflect their behavior. That's why, for synthesis, they act as preprocessing and nothing else.

But reading your paragraph, I'm pretty sure you didn't understand what I said and just took it as a way of saying functions and procedures have no use for synthesis, which is pretty much the opposite of what I said.

They are indeed "evaluated" at compile-time for synthesis. Only for simulation they can be evaluated during run-time. Evaluated at compile-time for synthesis means: they yield static logic at compile-time. Always. That didn't mean they can't take signals as inputs, for instance. Yeah, re-reading what you said convinces me you thought I meant that they could only be used with constants, and not signals or variables.

Thus, for synthesis, they can be seen as templates. This is the closest parallel I can think of with software.
Once you understand this, what is synthesizable and what isn't when using functions and procedures becomes almost obvious.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2021, 06:14:23 pm »
Except generate is restricted in scope, so cant be placed inside the case select. At which point the OP would be replicating/cut/pasting the different variants of their case select into different generate clauses (no else on generate!). Its absolutely the wrong way to do it, the if statements with constants to gate them is much more maintainable/readable since the common parts are repeated in separate lines. Perhaps you could provide an example following the OPs excellent post with their sample code....
I already wrote that in the part you snipped: use table driven case statements to make functionality optional without littering the code with ifs. But the OP's example is probably just an example. And you don't need to make things complicated or replicate code; just think & do research a bit longer about how to structure code to suit the problem the best instead of getting behind the keyboard and start writing code into a dead end street. Maybe -as SiliconWizard wrote- functions and procedures can also help to un-spaghetti the code.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 06:42:35 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 07:11:44 pm »
LOL you guys as always went deep into the woods in your attempts to defend that POS of a language :palm: As I understood, what OP wants is this (code in C so that even VHDLers would understand):
Code: [Select]
switch (op)
{
case OP_FOO:
//handing operation FOO
break;
case OP_BAR:
//handing operation BAR
break;
#ifdef OP_EXTENDED_1_SUPPORTED
case OP_EXTENDED_1:
//handing operation OP_EXTENDED_1
break;
#endif
#ifdef OP_EXTENDED_2_SUPPORTED
case OP_EXTENDED_2:
//handing operation OP_EXTENDED_2
break;
#endif
default:
//handing unknown operation
break;
}
Important point is that OP_EXTENDED_x opcodes are treated as unknown ones if such support is disabled. Now please show us how to implement this trivial code. And no, a bunch of generate's with copy-pasted switched for all possible permutations of supported opcodes is not acceptable.

So yes, "use SystemVerilog" is the only sureway solution to avoid having to deal with this garbage again.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2021, 07:25:45 pm »
One way: make a component for the body of each case statement. That component's contents can have a generate statement that creates output based on what is being generated. There is zero code replication. In fact, closely related functions can be implemented using the same component.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2021, 07:40:38 pm »
Enough talk, show us the code already! The C code I've posed above can be transferred into SystemVerilog pretty much in exact same form with no trickery required, so please show us how to achieve the same thing in VHDL.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2021, 08:13:51 pm »
One way: make a component for the body of each case statement. That component's contents can have a generate statement that creates output based on what is being generated. There is zero code replication. In fact, closely related functions can be implemented using the same component.

Why not, but this would be unnecessarily heavy.

Again, just using "if" with a constant clause is guaranteed to be optimized. This is one of the most basic optimizations possible. No need to question that.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 08:28:38 pm »
Enough talk, show us the code already! The C code I've posed above can be transferred into SystemVerilog pretty much in exact same form with no trickery required, so please show us how to achieve the same thing in VHDL.
Actually you can but you'd use a plain if instead of #ifdef. You basically insist on using #ifdef while there is a VHDL language construct (namely the 'if statement') that does exactly the same from a functional point of view when the condition is based on a constant. The OP's question however seems to be how to create nicer looking code that isn't littered with a whole bunch of ifs and #ifdef doesn't make things any nicer. Take note of SiliconWizzards remark about how and why a synthesizer is already doing the same as the C pre-processor. VHDL code that is never used, is optimised away so why insist on adding an extra layer to the language that does the same?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 08:33:59 pm by nctnico »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf