Electronics > FPGA

WTF Xilinx

<< < (22/22)

SiliconWizard:
This is often the case indeed, but not always. Lattice tools are IMO an exception. Both Diamond and Radiant are simple, unbloated (relatively...) and fast. Newer versions tend to be better rather than worse. Now this may change, if, like others, Lattice suddenly decides to rewrite Diamond with a brand new team and brand new language, but I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon. They seem to be focusing on Radiant for their newer parts, Radiant is still relatively "new" (so I doubt they're gonna rewrite it completely for many years to come) and was a decently good surprise when they released it.

Of course none of these two are as complex or as featureful as Vivado, though. Lattice tends to use a different path - standalone applications for special features, instead of cramming it all in a single one.

coldfiremc:
If you turn off sigasi Syntax checking, goes way better

pbernardi:

--- Quote from: coldfiremc on August 11, 2022, 07:20:26 pm ---If you turn off sigasi Syntax checking, goes way better

--- End quote ---

That´s true. However, then I need to check logs or files to look for errors.

And if I need to do this, what is the benefice of using the Vivado text editor? I mean, I have to disable the only useful feature because it turns my job is painfully slow. Better to use any other IDE instead.

coldfiremc:

--- Quote from: pbernardi on August 11, 2022, 07:38:03 pm ---
--- Quote from: coldfiremc on August 11, 2022, 07:20:26 pm ---If you turn off sigasi Syntax checking, goes way better

--- End quote ---

That´s true. However, then I need to check logs or files to look for errors.

And if I need to do this, what is the benefice of using the Vivado text editor? I mean, I have to disable the only useful feature because it turns my job is painfully slow. Better to use any other IDE instead.

--- End quote ---

You can use check_syntax from tcl console. Is faster than elaborate

coldfiremc:

--- Quote from: pbernardi on August 11, 2022, 07:03:01 pm ---Last time I dared to download a recent Vivado version, it lasted around one hour in my computer before I uninstall it. Really useless stuff: big, slow, unusable.  |O

I am amazed of how good are older software compared to newer versions. I use Vivado 2018.3, but only because it has support to the FPGA family I use, and personally think ISE 14.7 was much better in general. With Vivado, I learned that I must not, in any case, ever, try to use the embedded text editor because it simply does not work for real codes. Once I realized this, my life changed and I could smile again, and since then I find Vivado 2018.3 a palatable software.

And this happens not only for Vivado or Xilinx, for most software available. When I want to use some stuff without restrictions, ads or even when I want a better software I just look for older versions. I am almost never disappointed.

--- End quote ---

2021 is way faster than 2018/2019, but sigasi by default on is not helping to make it shine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version