Author Topic: [SOLD] Xilinx FPGA - Spartan 3E Starter Kit (UK)  (Read 5403 times)

Offline RogerRowlandTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
[SOLD] Xilinx FPGA - Spartan 3E Starter Kit (UK)
« on: September 05, 2015, 02:41:34 pm »
Apologies for bumping my old thread, but ....

... does anyone in the UK (mainland preferred) want this FPGA board as pictured below (WYSIWYG)?
After an unwelcome downturn in my health, I'm de-cluttering and re-focusing my hobbies in the time I have available and I keep tripping over this thing, which I can't use effectively and I'm just looking for some pennies to play with a CPLD instead.

SOLD Postage to most of the UK is only going to be £10, so does anybody want this for £25+postage, Paypal only? If not, make me an offer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not 100% sure if this is right for the Buy/Sell section, but it's my best guess  :)

Back in 2008, I bought a Spartan 3E Starter kit (for £134 inc) and played with it for a few days. Never really did anything other than change the wording that scrolled on the LCD.

Now, I'd like to get myself more familiar with FPGA development and I dug out the box to find that this kit was obsoleted in 2011/12 by Xilinx and it's not supported by the latest software. Also, the last version of software that does support it doesn't run on Windows 10 (or Windows 8, or 7). So I'm a bit stuffed. I would rather use Windows because that's my normal development environment at home and work.

I'm looking to buy or trade something similar - well similar capacity if not with exactly all the peripherals etc. - but I have no idea whether or not this bit of kit is worth anything.

It's had almost zero use, and cost a lot (for me anyway) originally, so I'm reluctant to throw it out.

Is it worth anything to anyone here? Open to offers (buy or trade), before I try my luck on eBay. UK only preferably. The pictures show exactly what's there and the last pic shows it working with the configuration which I'd last uploaded. The only thing I can't find is the adapter that converts the universal PSU to a UK power socket.

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a way I can still use this (believe me, I've tried everywhere and everything, except Linux, which I'd prefer not to do), advice appreciated.

Thanks all

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:08:04 pm by RogerRowland »

Offline andy_silicon

• Regular Contributor
Re: Xilinx FPGA - Spartan 3E Starter Kit (UK)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 03:19:33 pm »
Can you not install Xilinx ISE in an XP virtual machine ? ( use VirtualBox )
As far as I recall - this Dev board is programmed through USB ?

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 03:28:06 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/guide-getting-xilinx-ise-to-work-with-windows-8-64-bit/msg479087/#msg479087

Yes, I've seen this and, as andy_silicon suggested, I did consider a VM. But to be honest, if I'm going to do this for any length of time I'd rather be using the latest tools on a single OS.

However, if there's no mileage elsewhere, I'll probably re-think and give this a go. It just feels a tad unsatisfactory all round, if you know what I mean ....

Offline SundayProgrammer

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 06:02:37 am »
According to this page on the Xilinx website ISE does work on Windows 7.
http://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/ise-design-suite/ise-webpack.html
gone past that yet.

Yep. I'm using ISE on 64-bit W7. ISE version 14.4 (64-bit).

Axel.

Offline 6thimage

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 11:48:23 am »
I am trying myself at the moment to get it to work in Linux Mint without immediate success. I created a Virtualbox VM and installed Fedora 22 since that is the freely available cousin of the Redhat Linux ditsro that is supported. That at least ran the installation and I could start ISE but I haven't gone past that yet.

I'm surprised you've got problems with Mint - I use xubuntu (15.04 at the moment) and it runs ISE fine. The only problem I have had is that I can't get the FPGA editor to work, but I never use it anyway. From what I remember, getting the JTAG interfaces to work can be a pain, but I don't remember it being that difficult (I use an FT2232H based solution at the moment which doesn't use impact).

I'm a little annoyed by Xilinx not supporting the spartan 6 in vivado, I understand leaving the spartan 3 series behind, but the spartan 6 isn't that old. Considering vivado is an improved version of plan ahead, it seems very short sighted of them.

I'm guessing RogerRowland is probably looking at the zynq boards (arm processor and fpga) as most people seem to be attracted to them (they are often cheaper than equivalent artix fpgas) - just be warned, you might spend quite a bit of time configuring the arm side of things.

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 11:54:49 am »
I'm guessing RogerRowland is probably looking at the zynq boards (arm processor and fpga) as most people seem to be attracted to them (they are often cheaper than equivalent artix fpgas) - just be warned, you might spend quite a bit of time configuring the arm side of things.

Well I wasn't .... but I am now! Thanks for the hint .... I'm probably more concerned with running something against up to date software. I could probably fudge the Spartan 3E and get it limping along on Windows 10, but it feels a bit of a dead end. I suspect others feel the same because nobody has pinged me with an offer for the board, so eBay is probably where it's heading ....

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 04:36:23 pm »
Alternatively, you could go to an Altera FPGA, Terasic make cheap, official and good board, the DE0-Nano is a good FPGA board for ~£70, and even older version of quartus II (like the 13.0/13.1 if you need support for Cyclones III) works perfectly under Windows 7, 8 or 10 (Quartus II 14 and beyond only support Cyclones from the IV)

How much do you want for the Spartan 3A board?

But yes xilinx did a really bad move by not supporting Windows 8/10 on ISE:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:13:40 am by Godzil »
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 04:42:30 pm »
...How much do you want for the Spartan 3A board?

No idea ... I expect it's worth whatever someone would pay for it. Oh, and it's Spartan 3E, not 3A (if that makes a difference). If you'd like to make me an offer, just send a PM.... thanks for the Altera hint too, I see the Zynq boards are a bit to pricey for now ....

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 07:47:36 pm »
I'm using ISE on Mint17 without any "serious install" troubles.
And i'm using a xilinx (clone) programmer wo any problems.

The same goes for Altera's QuartusII

There are a few "quirks" that needs a little fix , or an extra library (xilinx pace comes to mind)

/Bingo

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 09:49:22 am »
**** bumped **** See edit to first post.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 03:35:58 pm »
...How much do you want for the Spartan 3A board?

No idea ... I expect it's worth whatever someone would pay for it. Oh, and it's Spartan 3E, not 3A (if that makes a difference). If you'd like to make me an offer, just send a PM.... thanks for the Altera hint too, I see the Zynq boards are a bit to pricey for now ....
Oh yes, sorry for the mistake, from memory the xA are the "normal" version, and xE are the IO count optimised version (or logic block count, can't remember)
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf