Electronics > PCB/EDA/CAD

Who, besides me, uses gEDA?

(1/4) > >>

Ghydda:
I wonder who might also be using gEDA. Anyone at all?

*sound of crickets*

I use it for my own hobby projects. Not very much, but every so often.
I kinda like the way it is put together. But also some things frustrate me |O
It would be nice to get a few heads up on some of its quirks.

Cheers!
/Ghydda

ElektroQuark:
Why do you use gEDA and not KiCad? Really interested in your answer.

Ghydda:
Well, the story is that nine years ago I jumped ship and abandoned Windows entirely in my household and squatted on some flavour of GNU/Linux instead.
During the transition I found that gEDA was more appealing in than KiCad.
Not that I did a thorough side-by-side investigation on the subject matter mind you. KiCad seemed terrible back then, gEDA not so much. Ergo gEDA won.

And once invested, I do not want to switch tools - the reason being I will not invest the time to maintain two sets of software-tools and the data they generate.

To quote Eddie Hitler: "I mean, I found the bloody lager Matie, and I couldn't be f*cked to move."
I'm inherently lazy it would seem.

Did you yourself consider gEDA prior to choosing KiCad?

/A big fan of the E. Hitler character

ElektroQuark:
I considered both, but gEDA development looked like it was dying so KiCad was the answer.

Wilksey:
I used to spend hours watching that TV show!

I considered gEDA before Eagle, subsequently I switched to KiCAD from Eagle, as well as using other packages for commercial designs, I did use gEDA, can't remember it now, but went with Eagle, KiCAD back when I was considering Eagle and others was just not that well developed for my liking, much like gEDA and Eagle quite happily tuns under mr penguin.

Nowadays, I would advise anyone to give KiCAD a go, the only "feature" I have no clue about wrt KiCAD is the autorouter function, I think it uses an external tool, but don't quote me on it, I never use it.

Most of my designs are simple, but I would not worry doing more complex designs, I did run some diff pairs for USB and some length matching on LCD data lines, not required, but wanted to play with the new features and a few quirky bits aside, it works fine!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version