Author Topic: Adatper for a Mini Serial Port?  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Lord of nothingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Adatper for a Mini Serial Port?
« on: August 20, 2020, 08:32:48 pm »
Maybe I mention it before but I orderd that Tablet who have a mini Serial Port:

But where I could get a Adapter Cable? Maybe I need sometime that Serial Port for something and would need the Cable.
Thanks
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Adatper for a Mini Serial Port?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 01:25:47 am »
I could be mistaken, but RS-232 serial ports on PCs and similar devices never had a standardised "mini" version. They were manufacturer-specific so you would need their specific adapter cable. I've seen all kinds of implementations of serial ports over the years and they are all different. If you can find the pinouts, you could probably make your own quite easily. I'm not sure what that connector is called, someone else might be able to jump in and tell us.

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing, GlennSprigg

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 01:53:51 am »
Just a thought, but if you're going to buy a brand new potentially multi-thousand-euro device, you could direct your questions to the vendor and/or manufacturer and then purchase the cable they offer? That would probably be 492-BBRL, by the way, to be fair they don't make that easy to find.

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 09:19:37 am »
and then purchase the cable they offer?
Well I found not Cable, Adapter that Dell offer.
If the would had one I still had buy them with the Device.

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 04:10:40 pm »
It is hard to see on the photo, but looks like Micro-D / MIL-DTL-83513.

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 11:25:47 am »
Interesting tablet. Is that an x86 device? Would you mind telling us the model number?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 12:01:05 pm »
https://www.dell.com/de-at/work/shop/notebooks/latitude-7220-build-your-own/spd/latitude-12-7220-tablet/xctol7220emea?configurationid=c1dcff74-a5a7-41b1-9815-fb2f8b496489#support_section

And Yes if you want order one for a Business (Steuernummer!) I get a Discount to the Dell Price.
The Image is a Stock Image and not my Tablet. And Yes I got an!
That Tablet with the i7 is DAMN AMAZING! The can even play UHD Videos!!!  :box:
16GB Ram is nice to! The (aditional) Keyboard is RGB to!
If you have any question about send me a PM in Austria.  :-+

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 02:00:46 pm »
'm a bit lost, with the photo. Are you talking about the 'D' connector, labeled 'IOIOI', or the small flat socket in the centre??
The Centre one looks like the new USB Type-C which relies on numerous specific external devices for utilization.
The other looks like RS-232 (having the IOIOI label?), which is an old original Standard for Serial Communications.
Many old devices and security equipment etc was able to be plugged in, and with elementary software set up to 'talk' using
parameters such as Parity, Baud, Data etc, you could analyze/change information in numerous devices. There are numerous
cheap interconnecting cables that can be used, for a multitude of such field devices! (Literally a few dollars).
It's surprising that a modern device would include that?  When most people need/want that, (old RS-232), one either obtains
an equally cheap USB adapter/cable, or uses an old cheap $30 2nd hand laptop that will do the job perfectly.

However, if you are talking about the Centre socket, (USB Type-C), then I recently purchased an adaptor, like in the following
image, to (one of numerous uses) adapt it to 4 USB 3 sockets...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:17:47 pm by GlennSprigg »
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 02:04:32 pm »
Oh, yes, that looks like a nice device.
I am a network admin, and sometimes the option to establish a serial connection with a switch is still required in this day and age ;)
But other limitations of this device makes it impractical to troubleshoot a switch. Obviously an ethernet port is quite useful when troubleshooting an ethernet switch :p
Also, only two USB Ports are essentially a dealbreaker, since that USB-A port would be constantly in use for my 2FA token.

And finally I would like to know prices of that keyboard cover and the docking station...

EDIT: @GlennSprigg: That is a new device. This coming with a serial port is exceptional. You are right that the port in the middle is USB-C, but the serial port does not use a standard DB9 connector, so some kind of adapter is required. I'm surprised that such an adaptor is not listed as accessory on the product page.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:07:09 pm by Ranayna »

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 03:01:10 pm »
The other looks like RS-232 (having the IOIOI label?)
Serious?  :-//...  :=\...
I know the difference between a USB-C and Serial and yes its a "real" Serial. The device is use by the US Military to.
(Well I am NOT a fan of them by any mean!  :box:)
one either obtains an equally cheap USB adapter/cable
Well that can make a lot of trouble and an create a lot of problems. So a "real" Serial who is 100% support by the OS is necessary!
And finally I would like to know prices of that keyboard cover and the docking station...
Well for the Doc I use a USB-C one. The Keyboard is listed on the Dell Page.
Obviously an ethernet port is quite useful when troubleshooting an ethernet switch :p
Also, only two USB Ports are essentially a dealbreaker, since that USB-A port would be constantly in use for my 2FA token.
On Ebay are damn cheap (hopefully not fallen from a Truck  :-DD) Dell USB, Ethernet Adapter who can screw on the Back. Pls Note the Ethernet Port is "just" connect via (Internal) USB Bus.

Well many Hardware this Days for example commercial Radios use Serial. Often use many device who have a USB connection internal Serial and have build in an Serial USB Adapter Chipset. That work quite transparent. And or there Adapter have a hidden Serial <-> USB Adapter build in.

Offline RenThraysk

• Regular Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf