Products > Computers

AMD Ryzen 5900X Upgrade S**T SHOW

<< < (5/6) > >>

Per Hansson:
This is not a BIOS update, the EC firmware resides in a different chip.
That is why it requires a different tool to flash it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_controller

bd139:
Gah I’m slightly glad I didn’t jump on the zen3 bandwagon now. I had a B550 board ready to go but the lack of GPUs put me off the build in the end.  :phew:

Just to point out some of the MSI boards can do a BIOS and EC upgrade with no CPU fitted. Worth starting there if you end up in this situation.

A friend of mine ordered another older CPU from Amazon, updated the bios then sent it back to get his working   :-DD

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: bd139 on June 24, 2021, 05:53:25 pm ---Gah I’m slightly glad I didn’t jump on the zen3 bandwagon now. I had a B550 board ready to go but the lack of GPUs put me off the build in the end.  :phew:
Just to point out some of the MSI boards can do a BIOS and EC upgrade with no CPU fitted. Worth starting there if you end up in this situation.

--- End quote ---

Haven't they just released a new 5000 series Ryzen with integrated GPU?
And my new Asus 550M board supports no-cpu USB update, I had to do it as my board was old stock and it worked fine.

bd139:
Probably but completely unobtainable at the moment unfortunately, at least here in the UK. Only thing you can get here is Intel parts with Intel graphics in them. Literally all the GPUs and APUs are gone :(

Good to hear Asus have picked that up as well.

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: jazz on June 18, 2021, 08:20:43 am ---This was super funny :D It's like Dave went to the store with the challenge to specifically find hardware that is only compatible in the most awkward extra steps required way ;D Knowing how he's not exactly the most PC-savvy person, it was pretty much an "oh no!" moment every time he dragged a new piece of hardware into the picture :-DD

--- End quote ---

As I said in the video, I didn't research this stuff, nor go to the store.
The case was supposed to be for the dumpster motherboard I found.
Then I lucked upon the B450 motherboard that fitted the case I had so decided to just order the best CPU I could get for it based on a cursory glance of the webpage of supposed devices.
Turns out the whole Ryzen thing is a bit of a shit-show.
I'm glad people were amused though, that's why I uploaded the video.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version