Computing > General Computing

AMD Ryzen 5900X Upgrade S**T SHOW

(1/6) > >>

EEVblog:
Follow along with the complete s**t show that this Micro ATX B450 Aorus M upgrade to a Ryzen 5900X machine became.
SPOILER: It didn't work.

Ed.Kloonk:
Gee.

EEVblog:
Even if I upgrade the MB to a B550, there is another potential shite-show with USB ports:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kbr6zl/usb_issues_on_b550x570_motherboards/

dave528:
This is, unfortunately, what happens alot with a) cheap motherboards, b) motherboards from Gigabyte, and c) AMD CPU's.  When using combo's like that.  You also tend to be forced to use water cooling to avoid the heatsink/RAM collision issue.

I've personally had problems with EVERY Gigabyte motherboard I've worked with.  The problems range from DOA to continuous power cycling.  They just are not designed to be high quality.  They are really (I think) designed to look good.

4 days ago I bought a new laptop and compared the Intel and AMD CPU's first.  What I figured out is that the AMD laptop processors are now lagging about 4 generations behind thier Intel counterparts for overall processing performance.  They do seem, however, to have nearly caught up in the power management realm.  (I settled on an i5-1035G2.  Nearly twice as fast as the laptop Ryzen 5 CPU.)

Anyway, with the laptop AMD CPU's being so slow, I would assume that their desktop chips are also lagging.  Remember the FX-series AMD CPU's?  They came out when Intel was transitioning to 4th gen Core, but they performed like a first gen Intel counterpart.  The only time an AMD processor can shine is when it is running software that is specifically optimized for it.  Otherwise everything happens more slowly.

And, no I'm not just trying to trash the AMD brand, I'm just relaying my personal experience with them.

And Gigabyte motherboards:  I say stay away at all costs!  (They were good in the 1990's, though.)

ejeffrey:

--- Quote from: EEVblog on June 17, 2021, 12:36:55 pm ---Even if I upgrade the MB to a B550, there is another potential shite-show with USB ports:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kbr6zl/usb_issues_on_b550x570_motherboards/

--- End quote ---

I believe this is now fixed: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16554/amd-set-to-roll-out-agesa-firmware-usb-fix-for-ryzen-coming-april

ASUS boards (and others) have the ability to update BIOS from USB flash drive without a CPU installed.  This is why.  It's not usually a problem if you buy a new board, they generally push the updated BIOS out into the channel pretty quickly when a new CPU launches, but its a problem if you get a board that has been floating around a while.  That's why AMD has the loaner program, but it kind of sucks to have to borrow a CPU.  I think that if they want to have long-lived sockets (which is great) they should mandate retail motherboards to have flashback support.  Especially since most B450 motherboards actually don't have enough flash to support all supported CPUs at once -- the newer flash version drop support for older chips to make room for the 5000 series.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version