Author Topic: Anyone using GrapheneOS on their phone?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline John BTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Anyone using GrapheneOS on their phone?
« on: February 12, 2024, 09:30:24 am »
I've just dived in headfirst.

I'm not trying to completely de-google my phone usage, but I have felt a little too tied to, and reliant on gmail, contacts calendars etc.

A good first step would be the ability to sync contacts to a local database of contacts shared between my phone and computers on the local home network. However, I'm not sure what to use.

I've seen references to CardDAV and CalDAV. I'd like anything that I use to be widely used/supported.

I also use KDE apps quite a bit, used for sharing files through a network, but never really had much use for the Kontacts and Kmail apps. Perhaps they would be a good avenue because I use KDE on all my linux computers.

I currently have a clean install of GOS, I've kept google play/services and google services framework off the owner profile. I'd prefer not to have to switch profiles to use emails and get notifications etc, but separate profiles may be a good idea for banking.

Anyways, shoot me ideas.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Anyone using GrapheneOS on their phone?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 01:11:09 am »
No one?? Surely some one is doing local syncing or (semi)private hosted cloud syncing?

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 01:46:19 am »
I've been running GrapheneOS for about a year now.  Before this I ran PalmOS (yes, way beyond its lifetime), but it had a simple local sync for memos, calendar, contacts, and tasks to and from my laptop.  The laptop application was JPilot and used a USB cable connected to the phone.  It's all I really need.

I've been unable to duplicate this functionality without being forced into an overly complicated CardDAV or CalDAV server, and those protocols don't even do everything I once had.  Going to android has been a big downgrade as far as private syncing goes, IMO.

I haven't had the time to dive back into it over the last several months, but I think you are on the right track with CardDAV and CalDAV.  I have on my list to look at:

https://www.davx5.com

and

https://www.calendarserver.org

Good luck, and if I get any further I'll post back.

The following users thanked this post: John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 05:48:23 am »
I've been running GrapheneOS for about a year now.  Before this I ran PalmOS (yes, way beyond its lifetime), but it had a simple local sync for memos, calendar, contacts, and tasks to and from my laptop.  The laptop application was JPilot and used a USB cable connected to the phone.  It's all I really need.

I've been unable to duplicate this functionality without being forced into an overly complicated CardDAV or CalDAV server, and those protocols don't even do everything I once had.  Going to android has been a big downgrade as far as private syncing goes, IMO.

I haven't had the time to dive back into it over the last several months, but I think you are on the right track with CardDAV and CalDAV.  I have on my list to look at:

https://www.davx5.com

and

https://www.calendarserver.org

Good luck, and if I get any further I'll post back.

Presumably Google's influence on the entire Android project has lead the defacto standard being cloud based syncing. Which may not be a bad thing, as long as there's choice, perhaps like Proton Mail services for syncing. However I will think about the feasibility of a local CalDAV/CardDAV server.

GrapheneOS is a bit of a system shock coming from a stock, fully featured, fully "integrated" OS, but generally I think I like it. It's more like a basic Linux distro where you need to rethink your approach to everything.

I do have Aurora store for access to the Google Play repos, and Neo Store for the F-Droid repos, but the most apps I have are installed through another app called Obtanium.  It installs and updates the apps from the Github repos directly. Currently things like DAVx5, SimpleMobileTools apps, OSMAND+ for maps etc

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 06:39:03 am »
Well, it only seems to support Pixel phones. (Does it support anything else though? Let me know.) Which is a bit odd for a OS that's supposed to rid you of Google. :-//
I understand that supporting a wide range of various phones is a much more difficult endeavour ridden with pitfalls.
But as it is, unfortunately I can't make anything of it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 07:38:30 am »
Yes, I did specifically buy the Pixel 8 because of the GrapheneOS support. Their reasoning is that the pixel is the only phone with the hardware that allows for their desired level of security. The literature is quite impressive on the GOS site if you want to read it. I can respect them only supporting limited models, rather than flaky support across many models.

I did try to use LineageOS on some Samsung phones, but I got stuck when the devices wouldn't allow me to install a "non-official" bootloader. To give credit to Google, they only give a nag screen at power up that a non standard OS is running, other than that the install was very simple and straightforward - and that was using the command line install on Arch.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 07:53:46 am »
Also, the GOS developers make a point that they aren't trying to stop you from using google products or avoid them. It gives you the ability to run them as non-privileged programs, and disable them when desired, ie you may have a profile that is specifically for using some google product (or microsoft, social media etc).

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 02:27:38 pm »
Well, it only seems to support Pixel phones. (Does it support anything else though? Let me know.) Which is a bit odd for a OS that's supposed to rid you of Google. :-//

true, but if you want a phone in which android works as it's supposed to, there isn't much beside pixels. Not even most flasgships from main brands, they always seem to fuck up someting because nothing ever works as per documentation except on the pixels

ex colleague showed up for a visit the other day, he showed me his new pixel 8, in which he had graphene OS on the first day. He uses the two profile approach: one private for everything that doesn't need google services, and the other for the apps that can't possibly work without them: whatsapp, bank, some work tools.

I would do the same if it wasn't that i use my phone also to develop, it's a main PITA having to switch back and forth every time
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 02:32:50 pm by JPortici »

Offline celly67

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 10:33:33 am »
I've just dived in headfirst.

I'm not trying to completely de-google my phone usage, but I have felt a little too tied to, and reliant on gmail, contacts calendars etc.

A good first step would be the ability to sync contacts to a local database of contacts shared between my phone and computers on the local home network. However, I'm not sure what to use.

I've seen references to CardDAV and CalDAV. I'd like anything that I use to be widely used/supported.

I also use KDE apps quite a bit, used for sharing files through a network, but never really had much use for the Kontacts and Kmail apps. Perhaps they would be a good avenue because I use KDE on all my linux computers.

I currently have a clean install of GOS, I've kept google play/services and google services framework off the owner profile. I'd prefer not to have to switch profiles to use emails and get notifications etc, but separate profiles may be a good idea for banking.

Anyways, shoot me ideas.

IMO cardDAV protocols are best for syncing contacts and calendars locally alongside options like KDE Kontact and Kmail for integration with KDE apps and linux systems.

Offline Jason Henry

• Contributor
  • !
    • None
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 02:45:00 pm »
You could consider using KDE Kontact and Kmail for managing your contacts and emails, as they integrate well with KDE apps and can potentially sync with a local database on your home network using protocols like CardDAV and CalDAV.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 01:23:08 am »
Uhhhhh, thanks guys.

Would you mind checking the tickbox in my post that says "I'm not a robot"?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf