Products > Computers

Anyone using GrapheneOS on their phone?

(1/3) > >>

John B:
I've just dived in headfirst.

I'm not trying to completely de-google my phone usage, but I have felt a little too tied to, and reliant on gmail, contacts calendars etc.

A good first step would be the ability to sync contacts to a local database of contacts shared between my phone and computers on the local home network. However, I'm not sure what to use.

I've seen references to CardDAV and CalDAV. I'd like anything that I use to be widely used/supported.

I also use KDE apps quite a bit, used for sharing files through a network, but never really had much use for the Kontacts and Kmail apps. Perhaps they would be a good avenue because I use KDE on all my linux computers.

I currently have a clean install of GOS, I've kept google play/services and google services framework off the owner profile. I'd prefer not to have to switch profiles to use emails and get notifications etc, but separate profiles may be a good idea for banking.

Anyways, shoot me ideas.

John B:
No one?? Surely some one is doing local syncing or (semi)private hosted cloud syncing?

MarkL:
I've been running GrapheneOS for about a year now.  Before this I ran PalmOS (yes, way beyond its lifetime), but it had a simple local sync for memos, calendar, contacts, and tasks to and from my laptop.  The laptop application was JPilot and used a USB cable connected to the phone.  It's all I really need.

I've been unable to duplicate this functionality without being forced into an overly complicated CardDAV or CalDAV server, and those protocols don't even do everything I once had.  Going to android has been a big downgrade as far as private syncing goes, IMO.

I haven't had the time to dive back into it over the last several months, but I think you are on the right track with CardDAV and CalDAV.  I have on my list to look at:

https://www.davx5.com

and

https://www.calendarserver.org

Good luck, and if I get any further I'll post back.

John B:

--- Quote from: MarkL on February 16, 2024, 01:46:19 am ---I've been running GrapheneOS for about a year now.  Before this I ran PalmOS (yes, way beyond its lifetime), but it had a simple local sync for memos, calendar, contacts, and tasks to and from my laptop.  The laptop application was JPilot and used a USB cable connected to the phone.  It's all I really need.

I've been unable to duplicate this functionality without being forced into an overly complicated CardDAV or CalDAV server, and those protocols don't even do everything I once had.  Going to android has been a big downgrade as far as private syncing goes, IMO.

I haven't had the time to dive back into it over the last several months, but I think you are on the right track with CardDAV and CalDAV.  I have on my list to look at:

https://www.davx5.com

and

https://www.calendarserver.org

Good luck, and if I get any further I'll post back.

--- End quote ---

Presumably Google's influence on the entire Android project has lead the defacto standard being cloud based syncing. Which may not be a bad thing, as long as there's choice, perhaps like Proton Mail services for syncing. However I will think about the feasibility of a local CalDAV/CardDAV server.

GrapheneOS is a bit of a system shock coming from a stock, fully featured, fully "integrated" OS, but generally I think I like it. It's more like a basic Linux distro where you need to rethink your approach to everything.

I do have Aurora store for access to the Google Play repos, and Neo Store for the F-Droid repos, but the most apps I have are installed through another app called Obtanium.  It installs and updates the apps from the Github repos directly. Currently things like DAVx5, SimpleMobileTools apps, OSMAND+ for maps etc

SiliconWizard:
Well, it only seems to support Pixel phones. (Does it support anything else though? Let me know.) Which is a bit odd for a OS that's supposed to rid you of Google. :-//
I understand that supporting a wide range of various phones is a much more difficult endeavour ridden with pitfalls.
But as it is, unfortunately I can't make anything of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version