Products > Computers

Apple Microdrives used in old iPod products

<< < (5/6) > >>

Sal Ammoniac:
Anyone make a CF card that uses FRAM rather than FLASH?

james_s:
Not that I've seen, and certainly not in capacities approaching microdrives. CF in itself is a rather ancient standard, while larger sizes did exist I never had one larger than 256MB.

legacy:

--- Quote from: Sal Ammoniac on October 04, 2019, 08:15:11 pm ---Anyone make a CF card that uses FRAM rather than FLASH?

--- End quote ---

In avionics, we use FeRam as "non volatile ram". But the size is something like 8Mbyte (each ticket is of 128Kbyte), and it's used to log each failure at startup or during a mission. It has MILSTD spec, and it's damn expensive.

In automotive, in FOM and MotoGP, we use a large chunk (common technology, just high-premium spec) of flash-drives on mini ePCI, but this only due to vibrations, and only because hard drives are recycled (trashed) after 10-20 competitions.

They log data concerning IMUs, how each of the four tires is consumed on the runway with GPS data, fuel data, thermal data, ..... a big tensor of data, to be then downloaded and processed.

They have money, a lot of money, and these things do not have to run disk-intensive applications like the need I have for other kind of my customers, who want Erlang VMs (yes, it runs on the router), which eat up to 512Mbyte while the ram of the router is limited to 64Mbyte, hence I had to workarounded because the hardware of the router cannot be changed, and the ram is soldered and cannot be expanded.

I had a few words with engineers, and probably, the next generation of these products will use FeRam disks on SoC able to address much more ram.

Anyway, my Hitachi Microdrives arrived today, in the late morning. I spent part of the afternoon testing them, 100% tests passed, and they work as expected.

LeonR:

--- Quote from: legacy on October 04, 2019, 09:15:31 pm ---
--- Quote from: james_s on October 04, 2019, 08:08:59 pm ---I have a hard time believing that a vintage microdrive is going to be more reliable than high quality modern flash

--- End quote ---

Can you stop this? This topis is NOT about *opinons*, but rather about finding Microdrives that DO work as True-Ide.

--- End quote ---

I saw you've already managed to find thd HDDs for your project, but have you checked the microSD interface converters to mini IDE? A lot of them work in TrueIDE mode, some even have jumpers that allow mode configuration.

Monkeh:

--- Quote from: LeonR on October 04, 2019, 09:48:10 pm ---
--- Quote from: legacy on October 04, 2019, 09:15:31 pm ---
--- Quote from: james_s on October 04, 2019, 08:08:59 pm ---I have a hard time believing that a vintage microdrive is going to be more reliable than high quality modern flash

--- End quote ---

Can you stop this? This topis is NOT about *opinons*, but rather about finding Microdrives that DO work as True-Ide.

--- End quote ---

I saw you've already managed to find thd HDDs for your project, but have you checked the microSD interface converters to mini IDE? A lot of them work in TrueIDE mode, some even have jumpers that allow mode configuration.

--- End quote ---

But no flash memory is ever going to be as reliable as his second-hand mechanical data deathtraps, he's already explained that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version