Products > Computers

Apple's SSD milking machine...

(1/11) > >>

PKTKS:
i will not post specific reviews and dozen rant posts...
Instead... just point the issue for fun...   :popcorn:

If you have not seen latest SSD fiasco (if that can be called fiasco)...
The new  machines have - HALF - speed for half a chip ..
with very same specs...  for just more U$400 tag price...

but U$ 400 for HALF  the specs...
I have not proper insults for that..

google for :   APPLE M1 x M2 SSD slow speeds...
anything like that

Paul

DiTBho:
Can you use the internal SSD only to load the kernel, everything else is on an external SSD / HD?
This way, you can offer Apple a figured finger, buy the smallest and cheapest SSD, and use the money to buy a decent external drive.

I'm not sure if internal Apple SSDs are compatible with what you can find on the market, but I'm 100% sure that the one used in the Apple Studio line is proprietary, and even if you find two Apple SSDs made for the same Apple Studio model, you can't change it without Apple's permission.

Kjelt:

--- Quote from: DiTBho on June 29, 2022, 01:01:02 pm ---Can you use the internal SSD only to load the kernel, everything else is on an external SSD / HD?
This way, you can offer Apple a figured finger, buy the smallest and cheapest SSD, and use the money to buy a decent external drive.
--- End quote ---

Yes you can but you miss the whole point.
The reason people buy these ludicrous over expensive laptops is because they are thin, lightweight and look sexy while drinking their stylish coffee.
Adding an external drive just destroys that whole look  :-DD

But indeed it was a stupid move from Apple, sent all reviewers the fast 1TB version so everyone is enthousiastic and then crippling the 256GB version by not installing two 128GB flash chips but a single 256GB flash chip, reducing access speeds with a factor of almost 2.

PKTKS:
one more reason...

these snobby dudes boast that overpriced shit as some status cult gizmo  ::)

could never figure that out really

My computers are tools..

Paul

DiTBho:

--- Quote from: Kjelt on June 29, 2022, 01:23:21 pm ---Yes you can but you miss the whole point.

--- End quote ---

I bought an M1 laptop because other Arm laptops simply suck regarding ergonomically, screen quality, and battery.
I bought an M1 laptop because I like neither DaVinci nor Premiere, personally I prefer Finalcut, which runs very well on Apple Silicon.

I want Apple Hardware because it's the best option for what I need, but I don't want to waste money on their proprietary SSDs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version