Author Topic: Bandwidth-limit Android's HotSpot ???  (Read 1757 times)

Offline frogblenderTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Bandwidth-limit Android's HotSpot ???
« on: January 04, 2022, 04:36:46 am »
I posted this over at androidforums... but they are a bunch of wankers, so I come here for the expertise...

I set up my pixel2 as a wifi hotspot. Works great. Now, I wish to bandwidth-limit the clients who connect to that hotspot. ie. any client who connects to my phone's hotspot will be limited to 1mbps or whatever I specify.

The reason I want this: The chromecast device, when playing netflix, *always* defaults to the highest possible quality the network connection will allow, and there is no way to change this. The bandwidth settings in the netflix app have ZERO effect when it is cast through to chromecast.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Bandwidth-limit Android's HotSpot ???
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 08:49:12 am »
You have bandwidth controlled routers / hot spot,  dont do that on a phone

Or use an dedicated computer with the right software  ....

And you seem to ''distribute your internet to others clients''  you could be liable of any wrong doing, any illegal downloading  etc ....  You would need to always hide under a VPN  etc ... 

I personally would not do that, even for a friend or client  ... whatever your / the reason(s)

You may not like  all the given answers here too ....

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 11:49:42 pm »
And you seem to ''distribute your internet to others clients''  you could be liable of any wrong doing, any illegal downloading  etc ....  You would need to always hide under a VPN  etc ... 
Use Torbox for that, even safer than a VPN.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 11:41:20 pm »
Out of the box, you won't be able to do that and I'm not aware of any tools which would allow you to either. I'd suggest if it was possible, you'd need to root the device anyway and come up with some kind of custom solution. Sounds messy.

If you're after such a solution, perhaps a small, low-power router running pfSense or OpenWRT would be a much better option for you. Even something like this: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B073TSK26W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_09HGP2Q7R5P02SC2YF3E

If it's for home use, maybe consider a proper router (running the above-mentioned software) is a better, more permanent solution.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:42:56 pm by Halcyon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf