Author Topic: Besides TPM +PLUTO and all pushed ecrap.. MS will NOT install on HDs...  (Read 5486 times)

Offline PKTKSTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Nahn  P stands for Paul
BTW
I am changing my hds to ssds for a while...
Actually buying in dozen and dup them in quads to prevent bad mishaps

Due to price obviously and size
So far so good the annoying trouble was the A2 ISSUEs solved with some clever work arounds

No paranoid just extra costs

Paul

ps  that pack of shit stands just for a bench rack server
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 03:56:46 pm by PKTKS »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
What is that, KingDian or something? :-DD

Steamdeck can't support higher power SSDs because it's a mobile device. It has compromises, because that's engineering.

The following users thanked this post: KaneTW

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
:palm:  so the problem is with the os , the cables , and the bios and the TOTAL UTTER CRAP DRIVES you buy.

Why don't you buy a nice Sandisk, Western digital,  PNY, Crucial or Samsung SSD ?

You are blaming an entire technology but the root problem is that your rig is made from the cheapest spit, wooden sticks and ducktape (knock off duct-tape)
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
I haven't   seen this so superior performance SSDxHDD
Carefully chosen HDs still outperform a wide range of SSD.. at least the average joe consumer seen.
pure bullshit of the year... i moved to SSD (for OS) about 10 years ago and never looked back, i'm talking like 10x speed improvement the first time i installed it on WinXP, and my first SSD is still around, Intel brand (because there was not much option to choose from back then, now i usually buy Kingston or Sandisk or anything of similar grade). The proper title of the thread should be... "M$ is to far too late to enforce SSD"

We should thank MS for not mandating booting from the cloud.
Yet.
It's almost that bad already. Some versions of Windows 10 and newer force you to have a Microsoft account (don't get that confused with a corporate Azure or M365 account, that's different again) and there is no way you can bypass it if you want to use your computer with a fresh install.
you certainly missed the "Skip" button during the install...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 05:59:33 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
Windows 11 Home Edition does not have a Skip button anymore.
There are some tricks to still skip, but that technically gets you into an unsupported state, which may, or may not, affect upgrades in the future.

Apparently, though this is not confirmed yet, the same will be true for the next Version of Windows 11 Pro, 22H2

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Yes there is no skip button even on windows enterprise. You have to do a corporate install via InTune or set up with a Microsoft account.

:palm:  so the problem is with the os , the cables , and the bios and the TOTAL UTTER CRAP DRIVES you buy.

Why don't you buy a nice Sandisk, Western digital,  PNY, Crucial or Samsung SSD ?

You are blaming an entire technology but the root problem is that your rig is made from the cheapest spit, wooden sticks and ducktape (knock off duct-tape)

And there’s the money shot  :-DD

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
Yes there is no skip button even on windows enterprise. You have to do a corporate install via InTune or set up with a Microsoft account.
Really? That is new for me, but we do not use Windows 11 yet at my company.
And, as far as i know, that is the case for the Windows 11 22H2 insider version, you can still join a domain during installation, letting you skip setting up a MS account.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Yea you can join a domain still.

I’ve got zero windows machines in my house as of next week so dodged that. Instead I chose to sign into iCloud (I don’t have to if I don’t want to - it’s optional!)

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
Yeah... I am following and participating in a couple discussions about this topic. It's ridiculous how many people do not realize that even Apple still has the Apple ID as optional. Even on the frigging iPhone/iPad it's optional. Granted, those devices will only have limited use without Store access, but - without having tested it - i would assume some of the pre-installed Apps work.

So many people are actually arguing in *favor* of the forced Microsoft account, it's unbelievable.
Or are saying: "Apple and google are doing it, why can't Microsoft?"
Or: "You surely have a Facebook/Google/Apple/<whatever> Account, what is one more?"

A couple of years ago i set my "red line": I will never use a MS account to sign in to my computer. A couple of months ago, when the account requirement even for Pro was first rumoured, i took the leap and followed through: Even though Windows 10 is still supported, i installed Manjaro on my box.

And what can i say: In the couple of years since my last test of Linux, Linux made leaps and bounds, especially in gaming. For the majority of Steam games it works just as well, if not even better, than Windows.

I am still in a stage where i go around telling People that Linux can work for them now. I don't think i convinced many of them  :-DD
But i can't stop trying yet.  :box:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
I stopped trying to convince people because they don’t want it or don’t care. It’s is tool to them and the less time they spend thinking about it the better it is for them. Also my day job is basically dealing with large masses of Linux infrastructure and software and I’ve been doing that and unix for about 25 years now. It’s still nowhere near usable for me on the desktop annoyingly. Too many people doing interesting changes rather than dealing with quality issues. And some of the open source software is dire (libreoffice I’m looking at you).

As I think i said on another thread I can walk into a high street here, pick up a 64 bit RISC laptop with a proper unix implementation and just use it. If I want a linux box I can rent a preconfigured one from Amazon or Linode. Who won? The users did in the end!

And that’s as much of a shit as I give these days and that’s more of a shit than most users  :-DD

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
In the forums i am active, many users are not even aware of alternatives. Or they think that Linux is crap because they heard something about it 10 years ago. We are totally offtopic at the moment, but that reminds me a bit of the OP ;)

I know i cannot force anyone to use Linux. But i can make people aware of the alternatives. And i think i might have useful insights as someone who just recently made the switch.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
Windows 11 Home Edition does not have a Skip button anymore.
the context was about the latest Win10 install... if windows asks (enforced) stupid thing then you give it stupid thing.. just create a dormant or whatever M$ account. did anyone complaint that we must have google account in order to own an android phone? i have one (M$ account) that i've forgotten. only to remember it back when i tried to make a new install on another PC, some avatar appeared and now i remember thats the account i used when i make install on my wife's laptop. so the new PC and my wife's laptop probably can be synched, isnt that nice?  :-DD about linux matter... its amazing when there is M$ discussion someone will bring it up, i'm too tired to reply, but to quote whats dom said fast furious... "winning is winning" i tried linux few years back, my thinking didnt change from 20 years ago about it...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline PKTKSTopic starter

• Super Contributor

Monky... i have dozen batches... 

putting the cheeky snobbery aside...
if you spare a small time to inspect these cheap simple gizmos...

You will be surprised and outraged paying just a case brand label.. ::)

inside they use very much a small group of same chipsets and memory brands...

Paul

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
The crab of failure and some flash rejected by larger manufacturers.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
LOL Realtek. Fuck those wankers.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
about linux matter... its amazing when there is M$ discussion someone will bring it up, i'm too tired to reply, but to quote whats dom said fast furious... "winning is winning" i tried linux few years back, my thinking didnt change from 20 years ago about it...
Well, what else do you want to talk about, when you are complaining about changes that MS makes?
Of course you can just take it. But why complain then? I don't think MS ever made major changes because of customer complaints, except maybe the expanded support time for Windows 7. You will not be able to motivate the behemoth to change, as long as it does not hurt them financially.

You can show alternatives to the user. What alternatives are there? Not many, it boils down to MacOS or Linux.
MacOS is just another golden cage, though astonishingly even less so, than Windows is soon. Also it is expensive, since you need new hardware.
In the last few years, Linux made significant steps in usability. That is my own experience, as someone who looked at it several times, with several years in between. Outside of troubleshooting, i never had to use the command line once.
It is not fully there yet, but not much is missing. The biggest hurdle will be to overcome the paralysis of choice, as there are just too many options to choose from for a layman. And of course you need to invest time, but that is true for a new version of Windows as well.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Linux is the most expensive tool if you value your time...

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
You can show alternatives to the user. What alternatives are there? Not many, it boils down to MacOS or Linux.
In the last few years, Linux made significant steps in usability.
there are just too many options to choose from for a layman.
People don't use operating systems, they use APPLICATIONS. A lot of it is windows only , some of it is mac only , a lot of open source runs on all .. why would you go for linux ?
As long as windows applications cannot be installed with ease and run directly on linux it will never be a viable desktop option. There's nothing wrong with the OS itself, its a lack of (familiar) applications.
And no, the substitutes are just not the same. They may be similar, but different enough that it becomes a turn-off.
if i look at what i use on a daily basis then i don't need linux. (and i use several programs that come from the open source world)

YASTL : Yet Another System To Learn ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
This is sort of why I use a Mac. It's Unix underneath which is handy for some stuff I do. Plus it runs Photoshop and Lightroom which is the other stuff I do :)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Yes and no. Highest capital cost. Lowest total cost of ownership factoring in maintenance time, risk and productivity.

I paid the 14" MacBook Pro off in three days of contract work. It is fully warrantied for every possible outcome for 3 years. Hence cheap.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
It is fully warrantied for every possible outcome for 3 years
nice gimmick! if i have that kind of pay i buy something else, and another something else...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
I bought two as well. I have a MacBook Air as a backup machine.

I don’t get to fuck around with reliability here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf