Author Topic: Blocked Website on Win 10 but Works with IPVanish  (Read 2242 times)

Offline NY2KWTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Blocked Website on Win 10 but Works with IPVanish
« on: January 08, 2022, 03:26:23 pm »
I need to access a public website from my desktop (Win10).  I get a message saying "This site can’t be reached. Checking the connection. Checking the proxy and the firewall. ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT".  So far it seems to only be this one site.

1) error happens using any browser (Edge, Chrome, Explorer)
2) same error if I open a "private" page in any of these browsers
3) same error with my Malwarebytes and Avast antiviral disabled.
4) I have access to two ISP, cable and FIOS, same error happens with both
5) If I run IPVanish, I can access the website no problem

I searched thru Win10 Network and Firewall settings and cannot see anything blocked.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Blocked Website on Win 10 but Works with IPVanish
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 04:32:48 pm »
Its DNS you need to look at. You could set your DNS to Google's public DNS 8.8.8.8

Windows, Mac, Android or Linux System. Exact steps vary.

In windows NSLOOKUP command is used to troubleshoot and test DNS lookups.

Otherwise it could be temporary failed route within your ISP that is outside of your control., besides using a proxy to get around their failure yourself
Use PING and TRACERT commands to check for these issues. Or website like  https://downdetector.com/ to see if others report having issues on your ISP or target site
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 04:41:27 pm by Algoma »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 06:10:39 pm »
I dont think its the ISP, as I said I have two (Optimum Cable and Verizon FiOS) and problem is with both.  Also, my laptop running same Win10 version with either ISP has no problem with the website.  I used NSlookup on the desktop and typed in the website and NSLookup gave me the Address but using that also did not work.  There's some setting on my Desktop PC which is blocking access.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 06:27:25 pm »
Sites might or might not be accessible depending from where (geographically) you try to access them.

This can happen either as an intentional geoblocking, or by a network failure, or by network misconfiguration, etc.  Also, same website can present different pages to different geographical areas, but this is not the case here.

There are many places to check the availability of a website around the world (random link):
https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/website/how-to-check-if-website-is-working-worldwide/

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 06:34:35 pm »
My laptop running same Win10 version with either ISP has no problem with the website.

Browser extensions perhaps, or proxy settings.. Otherwise uninstall the antivirus. I've seen it remain active although you set it disabled. That's about it besides browser cache.. Beyond that you need to go lower into the protocol stack and start using telnet to open the port manually and test the connection. Or start capturing the packets at the network layer and see where the connectivity breaks down.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:36:10 pm by Algoma »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 06:42:16 pm »
Sites might or might not be accessible depending from where (geographically) you try to access them.

Thanks but not the case here.  I can turnon IPvanish and set it to a New York Server close by and I can access the website on my Desktop.  When I turn off my Firewalls, and ping the adddress it quickly times out.  With IPVanish, I can ping and receive confirmation packets immediately.  Its not Windows Defender.  I do not show any proxy settings.  I will try to uninstall Avast and see it f that makes difference

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 08:48:11 pm »
Then, maybe the hosts files was changed (before DNS lookup, the machine checks for name to IP translation in the local file called "hosts", it's a text file you can open to look inside).

Another easy way to check if it's the OS's fault or the ISP would be to download a live (portable) install for Ubuntu, and boot from the live CD/USB.  After booting from the install CD, Ubuntu will ask if you want to Try or Install the OS.

Click "Try" in the Ubuntu GUI, and you will have a full running Ubuntu Desktop, with Firefox included.  From there, click on the Firefox icon and check the problematic website, without any Win10 or antivir programs.

All these will not install and will not touch anything on your disks or in Windows.

Once you end checking, unplug the USB (or install CD) and shut down the computer.  Power up again to boot Windows.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 09:28:51 pm »
The simplest explanation: the server has blocked your IP address or a range containing it.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 01:04:40 am »
The simplest explanation: the server has blocked your IP address or a range containing it.

I checked with other laptops logging on with my home wireless (FiOS) and cannot access the website unless I do it under a VPN like IPVanish.  I checked my ip address with each PC and all are identical addresses - through Verizon.  Since the problem is with either of my ISP - FiOS or Optimum, it looks like the website is most likely source blocking. I will reach out to the website IT.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 06:58:20 pm »
have you tried on an internet café ???  and yes  it could be geolocation,  ip ranges blocked, isp banning ??

some friends ...  can they access it ?

why not staying on the vpn  service ?  im on it 2/3 of the time ... no problems

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 11:07:20 pm »
The plot thickens.  I found I could also not access a cloud server for one of my remote ham radios with either of my wifi LANs (FiOS or Optimum Router).  No opportunity for using a VPN as the radio is a closed proprietary running some windows version.  I forgot I had a outdoor access point (TP-Link) connected via a inexpensive gig-switch directly to the same Optimum Modem that my Optimum wifi home router is connected.  I forgot about this SSID because I can only access this outdoor wifi access point from a corner of my house where my ham radios are.  Lo and behold if I connect to this wifi SSID - I can connect to the 'blocked' website plus I can now connect to my ham radio cloud.  Forgetting about the FiOS system and focusing just on the Optimum - i have a Optimum cable modem with two Ethernet ports. One port is directly connected to a Wifi router in the main part of my house while the other Ethernet port is connected to a switch feeding a TP-Link access point.  If I check my 'public' IP address through a website like speedtest it shows the identical IP address for both wifi LANs but one LAN is blocking my access to at least 2 sites while the other wifi works fine.   Does this make sense to anyone??

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 11:21:52 pm »
If I check my 'public' IP address through a website like speedtest it shows the identical IP address for both wifi LANs but one LAN is blocking my access to at least 2 sites while the other wifi works fine. 

Is one using IPv6 and one using IPv4 maybe?

https://test-ipv6.com/
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 03:09:10 am »
Is one using IPv6 and one using IPv4 maybe?

Thanks I checked with the website you gave and all working only IPv4 not v6. There must be some setting in the Optimum modem/wifi router that is different for the TP-Link wifi access point directly connected to the cable modem...  despite them both sharing the same ip address from Optimum. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf