Author Topic: Choosing intel cpu for Windows 7  (Read 1028 times)

Offline c64Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Choosing intel cpu for Windows 7
« on: April 20, 2022, 05:04:12 am »
I need a new computer. Windows 10 / 11 is out of question. Not a Linux fanboi.

Currently I have i5 Gen 7. Officially not supported, but had no issues so far. Even managed to install video drivers.

What are the later generations of Intel processors (i5 or i7) to run on Windows 7 without issues?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 05:05:43 am by c64 »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Choosing intel cpu for Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 05:29:24 am »
I am a complete novice on PC builds and always just went to the local MicroCenter and spoke with a very knowledgeable lady named Pat. 

Last Summer, my i7-4770K cpu died.  It had been about 6 years, and I figured it was time to update.  Not so.  I was told that the only Intel processors that will still run Win 7 (I use Win 7 Pro) are socket LGA 1150 and LGA 1151.  I have not researched that fact.

There are/were some boards and new processor for the LGA 1151 socket.  I ended up buying a used i7-4770K (socket LGA 1150).  In fact, I stocked up on a spare i7-4770K and my old reliable MoBo.  When those finally die, I will probably switch OS, maybe Linux, but that switch will be painful as my favorite CAD programs are probably stuck on Win 7.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 03:07:27 pm »
I think the newest CPU would run windows 7. The problem may be the other hardware like video cards, sound cards, ethernet adapter etc.. that may not have Windows 7 driver.

Online free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 05:07:10 pm »
hop on ebay , get a used Z-book or Z800 workstation. runs win7 and win10 without issues. for 600$ you can get a workhorse with a quadro K4100 or K5100 if you get lucky. These machines are rock solid.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline c64Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 06:41:02 am »
I think the newest CPU would run windows 7. The problem may be the other hardware like video cards, sound cards, ethernet adapter etc.. that may not have Windows 7 driver.
Yes, I expect the biggest problem would be the video card integrated into CPU. I managed to install driver for my current unsupported 7th generation one

Online AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 06:48:21 am »
Any i7 will do the job just fine.

Side note check out Windows 10 LTSC edition. It's basically what Windows 10 should've been: no windows store craplets bundled, no cortana, no online account requirement.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 05:05:57 pm »
Any i7 will do the job just fine.

It should, but note that MS had introduced modifications in Win 7 that prevented it to be updated if you have newer hardware. (To force people upgrading to Win 8 or 10.)
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/248069-unofficial-patch-unblocks-windows-7-8-1-updates-kaby-lake-ryzen

Now if you install Win 7 SP1 with all the latest security fixes, you shouldn't get any issues. But if you use an older installer of Win7, you might be stuck unable to update it further.
That said, I don't even know if Windows Update still updates Win 7 up to the latest known fixes, or if it stopped updating altogether whatever you have installed when they stopped the support. I'm curious.

Side note check out Windows 10 LTSC edition. It's basically what Windows 10 should've been: no windows store craplets bundled, no cortana, no online account requirement.

Yes, but how do you get ahold of a license?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 09:19:32 pm »

Now if you install Win 7 SP1 with all the latest security fixes, you shouldn't get any issues. But if you use an older installer of Win7, you might be stuck unable to update it further.
That said, I don't even know if Windows Update still updates Win 7 up to the latest known fixes, or if it stopped updating altogether whatever you have installed when they stopped the support. I'm curious.
The available updates are for the MS Defender/AV. Nothing else.

Still works fine in an environment with the appropriate safeguards. 

I couldn't find a way to get a license from Microsoft for individual user, only from the unauthorized MS license resellers. I had installed it and it really is what Win10 should have been without the crap. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 05:48:46 am »
[
It should, but note that MS had introduced modifications in Win 7 that prevented it to be updated if you have newer hardware. (To force people upgrading to Win 8 or 10.)
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/248069-unofficial-patch-unblocks-windows-7-8-1-updates-kaby-lake-ryzen

you should be able to slipstream updates into an older ISO:
https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-slipstream-windows-7-sp1-into-installation-dvd-iso/

by being creative  ;)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 05:57:04 pm »
[

you should be able to slipstream updates into an older ISO:
https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-slipstream-windows-7-sp1-into-installation-dvd-iso/

Yup. I suggest doing that.

by being creative  ;)

I guess I know what that means. =)
I would probably do it if I didn't fully dislike Win10 on many levels (crap and inconsistent UI, updates that regularly break stuff, etc.) But not having the telemetry and all associated shit would already be a nice plus.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf