Author Topic: Data Backup Software Tool with Incremental Feature...  (Read 1270 times)

Offline MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Data Backup Software Tool with Incremental Feature...
« on: December 25, 2022, 11:04:31 am »
i have my local data Drive that i keep working on, i've made full backup/clone on another HDD few months/years ago, i would like to update new/modified/latest/deleted files into the cloned drive (the only files that have been changed/added/modified/deleted since last full backup) but trying to redo the whole full data cloning is PITA, not much just 500GB, but i tell you it took a long time. so i need only incremental backup. requirements:

1) clone/backup in exact uncompressed/uncombined state. i want exactly all files and directories accessible from Windows Explorer, unlike most Disk Cloner they will create one gigantic image file at destination disk.
2) i can work on particular drive on interest such as C:\ or D:\ etc, not the whole disk or partition. even better if it can only watch certain directory to do incremental update/backup such as D:\MechFiles etc.
3) any "added" files in my local storage got added to the backup/destination HDD (as usual) but the modified file will be written too AND the older version of files in destination HDD will be saved in another "special" folder, so i can do manual sort of version control later. same thing to "deleted" files, will not get deleted in backup/destination HDD, instead it will go to another "special" folder such as "deleted folder" much like recycle bin in Windows, but this special folders will be visible for me to easily do manual editing/revision control etc.
4) no iCloud only destination drive. its ok if it has it, but its not required. i want old style manual local/offline data backup strategy.
5) Windows the M$ user here ;)

i hope it clear enough, i think so far thats all important for now... the tools i searched in google dont describe what i want, or unclear.. i can build my own but it will take time, but i think this is 2023 age we should already have everything we can imagined developed.. any suggestion on what is the best tool? will be appreciated. free is good, but paid affordable is ok, so long it can do whats in my mind requires. thanks.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 01:55:29 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Data Backup Software Tool with Incremental Feature...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 11:20:43 am »
I wanted something similar but couldn't find it.  Acronis True Image 2015 says it can make a plug and play image of the C drive, but then both cannot be installed in the PC at start-up, according to Acronis.  It recommends against doing that.  As for incremental changes, that might be asking too much as stuff gets shuffled around. 

The above is based on a naive view as I avoid working on the system as much as possible.

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 11:27:47 am »
i have my local data Drive that i keep working on, i've made full backup/clone on another HDD few months/years ago, i would like to update new/modified/latest/deleted files into the cloned drive (the only files that have been changed/added/modified/deleted since last full backup) but trying to redo the whole full data cloning is PITA, not much just 500GB, but i tell you it took a long time. so i need only incremental backup. requirements:

1) clone/backup in exact uncompressed/uncombined state. i want exactly all files and directories accessible from Windows Explorer, unlike most Disk Cloner they will create one gigantic image file at destination disk.
2) i can work on particular drive on interest such as C:\ or D:\ etc, not the whole disk or partition. even better if it can only watch certain directory to do incremental update/backup such as D:\MechFiles etc.
3) any "added" files in my local storage got added to the backup/destination HDD (as usual) but the modified file will be written too AND the older version of files in destination HDD will be saved in another "special" folder, so i can do manual sort of version control later. same thing to "deleted" files, will not get deleted in backup/destination HDD, instead it will go to another "special" folder such as "deleted folder" much like recycle bin in Windows, but this special folders will be visible for me to easily do manual editing/revision control etc.
4) no iCloud only destination drive. its ok if it has it, but its not required. i want old style manual local/offline data backup strategy.

i hope it clear enough, i think so far thats all important for now... the tools i searched in google dont describe what i want, or unclear.. i can build my own but it will take time, but i think this is 2023 age we should already have everything we can imagined developed.. any suggestion on what is the best tool? will be appreciated. free is good, but paid affordable is ok, so long it can do whats in my mind requires. thanks.
Check out the Beyond Compare program from Scooter Software. It will cover the basic file manipulation required for 1), 2) and 4) fairly automatically but item 3) might require some simple manual operations to save the archive copies. Beyond Compare also performs a whole host of other functions useful for locating, viewing different file types and comparing versions of files showing differences for version tracking.

I heartily recommend this S/W and use it regularly for backup purposes. It is a reasonably priced one-time purchase (no expensive subscription pricing) and there is a generous free trial period available for evaluation.

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 11:52:29 am »
1,2 and 4 are easy with what you already have: xcopy or robocopy. 3 can be done of you use different target folders (backup25122022 etc.) and look at either the archive bit or the file change date.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 01:36:20 pm »
"Personal backup" (freeware) https://personal-backup.rathlev-home.de/index-e.html
should be able to do all 4.
However, you will need some time to configure it according to your wishes. So go slowly.
Been using it for ages now, and still have not used all its features.

Free File Sync https://freefilesync.org/ might also be a contender.
Been only using it occasionally. Might be easier to configure.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 01:45:39 pm by Messtechniker »
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 03:52:35 pm »
"Personal backup" (freeware) https://personal-backup.rathlev-home.de/index-e.html
should be able to do all 4.
However, you will need some time to configure it according to your wishes. So go slowly.
Been using it for ages now, and still have not used all its features.
yes! exactly this! (from my quick experiment on some test data set) saved me many hours googling or reinventing a wheel... easy and quick to learn (almost no need to read help file) a sign of very mature Windows/GUI developer :-+ now i can move to larger data set or even real incremental (called Update in the tool) backup job...

Check out the Beyond Compare program from Scooter Software. It will cover the basic file manipulation required for 1), 2) and 4) fairly automatically but item 3) might require some simple manual operations to save the archive copies. Beyond Compare also performs a whole host of other functions useful for locating, viewing different file types and comparing versions of files showing differences for version tracking.

I heartily recommend this S/W and use it regularly for backup purposes. It is a reasonably priced one-time purchase (no expensive subscription pricing) and there is a generous free trial period available for evaluation.
from screen captures on the websites, it looks alike to my simple "File Synchronizer" tool where we can see differences between source and destination, will be useful to see if any accidental deletion/corruption/addition occured. my synchronizer tool can update from dest->source too, and can store things on very different root folder... but its too cumbersome or i got confuse myself using it today :palm: thats why i'm looking for one way update tool (source->dest only) no need fancier features on my simple tool. i will KIV your suggestion as good reference in case i need it later.

https://rdiff-backup.net/
it may also look like it, its console based. if i havent found GUI version of "Personal backup" suggested by Messtechniker, i'll probably use this tool.. i did try this just now briefly before moving to "Personal backup".

thanks all for suggestion guys, i think "Personal backup" hit the nail really spot on.. cant expect any better... more features than i asked. its free too.. with those features and neat GUI, probably worth months of developers' time. cheers.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf