Author Topic: Dirt cheap decomissioned servers?  (Read 10346 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Dirt cheap decomissioned servers?
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2023, 06:32:21 pm »
What I am looking for is what I described:

A decommissioned server built 2016 or after that can run linux.

What I keep getting:

Dude you just need an X47 modulator with a rasberry and a lenovo disk flipperdo

What I reiterate:

No fellas, I want the one with the really loud ass fans that is heavy as fuck and doesn't belong in a house

Then why are you asking us? You seem to know what you want, "A decommissioned server built 2016 or after that can run linux" covers pretty much any server built since 2016. Dell, HP, whatever, they're all similar, just pick a CPU that was available during the era you're interested in and search ebay or e-waste recycling centers. We can't give you any more detailed advice than that if you don't have a specific need.

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2023, 07:00:39 pm »
I want the one with the really loud ass fans that is heavy as fuck and doesn't belong in a house

Then your answer is here : Go on eBay, look for servers, and buy the one with the really loud ass fans that is heavy as fuck and doesn't belong in a house.

People here seem to have misunderstood what you are wanting and are trying to find you a machine that will fit your use case, when you have no use case and what you really want is the one with the really loud ass fans that is heavy as fuck and doesn't belong in a house. They keep asking you what you want to do with it and as far as I can tell, you want it to be heavy as fuck, make a lot of noise, use a lot of power, and have no other fixed uses.

EDIT : And of course, from the title, be dirt cheap.

The following users thanked this post: magic, mapleLC

Offline mapleLCTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2023, 07:05:19 pm »
Then why are you asking us? You seem to know what you want, "A decommissioned server built 2016 or after that can run linux" covers pretty much any server built since 2016. Dell, HP, whatever, they're all similar, just pick a CPU that was available during the era you're interested in and search ebay or e-waste recycling centers. We can't give you any more detailed advice than that if you don't have a specific need.

You keep answering your own questions.  It does cover a lot of servers built since 2016, doesn't it?  Which means that's a lot of ground to cover for 1 person not in that day to day world, isn't it?

Which is why I am "asking us."  When you are overwhelmed with a body of choice, some like me tend to ask others...

And then we get to that funny "we" people use on forums.  "We can't help you" says speak for everyone guy.

For those you are not speaking for: "we" have plenty of threads on this forum akin to "Help me pick a new multimeter" - I'm struggling to understand how this is substantially different.  You're asking me to believe there is nobody here with substantive computer knowledge.  What I am also encountering is a certain myopic nature of the posters in this thread to imagine someone out there doing something a little different than they may choose to... and rather than shrug shoulders, there is this consternation afoot.  Ooooh... the electricity says a forum dedicated to it's exploitation.

2/3 of the thread is unhelpful bullshit.  I want a server, help me find one is the gist.  Want to help, hey new best friend!  Dont?  Plenty of things to do with your life.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 07:07:54 pm by mapleLC »

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2023, 07:14:59 pm »
If we knew where to find them, somebody would have answered already. Most servers are first run through their warranty period. Then they are either sold or moved to a secondary stage with "old" servers where you run non-critical stuff like backup services, cheap storage etc. until they pretty much die. At that point they are already quite old. Ebay might be your best bet. I bought once an old IBM server on Ebay. Didn't use it much because it was very loud and finally scrapped it. It was a waste of money, but at least it satisfied my curiosity.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2023, 07:21:41 pm »
If we knew where to find them, somebody would have answered already. Most servers are first run through their warranty period. Then they are either sold or moved to a secondary stage with "old" servers where you run non-critical stuff like backup services, cheap storage etc. until they pretty much die. At that point they are already quite old. Ebay might be your best bet. I bought once an old IBM server on Ebay. Didn't use it much because it was very loud and finally scrapped it. It was a waste of money, but at least it satisfied my curiosity.

I have a similar story, also with an IBM server, but a better result.  I used it to learn programming against an environment that manages threading completely differently, it was very helpful.

Otherwise, I disagree.  What I am looking for is available, I was hoping a few folks here knew the lay of the land the way folks here know multimeters et al.  At this stage in the thread, I had hoped to see people chime in with viable suggestions rather than bullshit finger wagging about electricity usage.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2023, 07:42:44 pm »
non-critical stuff like backup services
there are two kinds of people: those who don't yet consider backup services critical and those who already do.

The following users thanked this post: mapleLC

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2023, 07:47:45 pm »
Here:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=dell+rackmount+server&_sacat=0

When you don't have a specific use case, nobody can help you with any specifics. A server is a server is a server, Dell, HP, IBM, etc, it doesn't matter. They're all big, they're all noisy, they're all heavy, they all have loud fans, they all use a lot of electricity, they're all well made, they can all run Linux, nothing in your requirements narrows it down. Search ebay, sort by price with shipping, or search locally, or hang out at e-waste centers, scan craigslist, buy the one you can find that you think looks coolest, they're all similar. Nobody can suggest a specific model and configuration when you haven't given any constraints dependent on the model or configuration. The one that makes the most sense to buy is probably going to be the one you can drive over and pick up so you don't have to deal with shipping a 60 pound beast. If you still can't make a decision, flip a coin, roll some dice, throw a dart at a list of available options, or close your eyes and grab one, it doesn't matter.

If you asked people here to help you pick a multimeter, the first thing they're going to ask you is what do you need to use it for? What features matter to you? What is your budget? In this case you've essentially said "I want a multimeter that has probes and a display, and a big knob or some buttons and stuff, and measures things" and the answer to that is go buy one then, it doesn't matter which one, that description is vague enough that it covers all multimeters, so just go look at what's available and pick one that you can afford or that looks the most like the image of "a multimeter" that you have in your head.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 07:59:17 pm by james_s »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2023, 08:04:31 pm »
The reason you get asked what your actual use case is, is because the answer to that is required before one can make any kind of sensible suggestions.

(I do suspect mapleLC won't even read this post fully, because it's too long, and doesn't answer their question.  I guess this, too, will be classified as "unhelpful bullshit".)

For example, a single-purpose server, for example a database server in a rack, can definitely benefit from good hardware IPMI support, preferably via a dedicated ethernet (RJ45) port.

A server that hosts virtual machines, say one or more Apache/Nginx instances for web stuff, doesn't really need IPMI, as the host OS is basically your management interface.  In most cases, you'll run very tightly managed OS, typically Linux, on the host, with focus on security (paranoia is good) and userspace tools basically centered around container management.

A storage server (NAS) is a completely different beast, closer to a database, except that access to the storage server should be physically limited.  (Compare to a database, which typically servers requests from other hosts in the same site.)

An edge or frontend server is one that bridges the physically secure site network and external networks, for example in computing clusters.  They vary from load balancers (which tend to be more like appliances, closer to say routers than servers, nowadays, although the ones in hardware-secure sites can include TLS encryption and thus reduce the server load significantly using dedicated encryption hardware – the physical network between the balancer and the servers then having plain-text data streams, and thus needs to be physically secured) to openvpn and similar services, which security-wise bridges various domains, and whose correct/secure configuration requires some expertise and experience.

DNS servers don't need much storage, but they need to be fast and secure, because they can be hit quite hard.  Denial-of-service attacks and various cache poisoning attacks are common; and if your DNS is taken down, you're hosed.  If you only have a few servers, it makes sense to offsource DNS to a company specialized in DNS management, but then (social) hijacking countermeasures must be carefully designed and observed to avoid difficulties.  Forgetting to renew a domain is a particularly common failure that can cost a company a lot.

Email servers are an art on their own.  For one, you definitely need a fixed IP address, and be prepared to deal with large email service providers like Google and Microsoft.  You need both incoming security, as well as outgoing security to avoid getting blacklisted as a spammer.  The email service needs to be tightly coupled to proper DNS service, for both reliability and verifiability.  Spam filters, DOS and bot attacks, are commonplace, so surprisingly you'll want quite a bit of memory bandwidth and processor power – not the service itself, but for the filtering capabilities.

Computational cluster nodes are a completely separate beast.  In many ways they behave exactly like servers – even down to running suitable queue software as the "server" – but their type and resources depends entirely on what one wants to compute with them.  Quantum chemistry requires nodes with lots and lots of RAM and GPGPU-type processing power; classical biophysics or materials physics with millions of atoms parallelizes well to separate nodes (machines) with modest memory needs, and just require as much double-precision floating-power arithmetic power as is available.

Then there are IOT servers.  You have the ones that handle local area IOT things, and provide typically a web-based interface accessible both locally and usually via internet (secured by usernames and passwords, using http + TLS, aka HTTPS), that don't require much resources at all.  A small Linux SBC is usually plenty, although I'd pick one with at least 4 GB of RAM.  Plain Debian/Devuan, Apache or Nginx, OpenSSH, fail2ban, and lots of Linux configuration and integration effort will get you there.  Then you have the ones that handle remote IOT thingies, and interface to users' phones and so on.  These have no local network, and are pure internet ("cloud") beasts.  You could consider them like normal web servers, but the fact that the traffic is usually very short streams (as opposed to transferring multi-megabyte files), makes the hardware requirements a bit odd.  They're often virtualized with a load balancer in front, and with a separate database server (for "customer" data), so that they can be scaled easily to cater to the needs.

In short, there is no "server".  There is a class of machines often called "servers", which spans a wider range of hardware than ordinary desktop computers do.
If you don't know what you want, then go for "dirt cheap", and find out what is available for "dirt cheap".  If you have options, then look up their manufacturers sales' pages, to see what they think they are best used for.  If you are left with more than one option, list them here and we can tell you more.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 08:07:37 pm by Nominal Animal »

The following users thanked this post: M0HZH, BrokenYugo

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2023, 08:14:41 pm »
Looking for a server, but the landscape out there is pretty vast and there are a lot of acronyms I don't know anymore  :palm:

What is the best used I can get for eBay scale money?  I can modify the server for most any need, so the most solid basic platform is primary, so what should we grab before Dave reviews one?

I plan to install Linux, which shouldn't matter but is germane.

These days, it looks like one of your best bets is to go for a X99 platform with one (or several if you can find a multi-CPU one) Xeon E5 v4 (Broadwell EP). DDR4 ECC is surprisingly "cheap" at the moment, so you can get comfy amounts of RAM for not too much.

Just a suggestion, there are probably alternatives.

Thats a bit too basic, thats just a regular PC motherboard.  I want the full capabilities of a server.

You didn't state your requirements, so how would we know. But you said dirt cheap, so that gave a hint?

But it's definitely not a basic platform. Many servers have been based on this platform a few years ago.
With Xeon processors of this generation, they support up to 1.5TB of DDR4 ECC RAM, up to 22 cores/processor, and you can find dual-CPU motherboards for reasonable prices.
A dual Xeon E5 2699v4 or something like that will give you 44 cores/88 threads and will outperfom even a Threadripper except for the top of the line at nearly $8000 each. ::)
All this with potentially a gigantic amount of RAM.

Tell us this is too basic. :-DD

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2023, 08:52:11 pm »
... Threadripper ...
AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5995WX (64-core Zen3, 280W TDP) costs about 7500 € here, and compatible desktop-type (single processor, 8 DIMM slots) motherboards 900-1400 €.  256 Gt (8×32 Gt) of DDR4 3200MHz adds about 1200 €.  Say, 10-11k€ for a non-rack version, 10-15k for a rack version.

This is not a "server".  It is a "server-class" or "server-type" machine suitable for specific tasks, and is only cost-effective for some.

I'm not 100% certain about the memory bandwidth for generic virtualization server (running a number of virtualized client OS images for server-type tasks), and personally would only consider one for dedicated simulations requiring double-precision floating-point arithmetic with very large datasets; especially with 2/4/8 PCIe-based SSDs in sw-RAID0 configuration for storage.  Dalton, VASP, LAMMPS and Gromacs users with larger molecules and systems to simulate would love one, although many would still ask for CUDA (maybe a pair of Nvidia Hopper H100 cards, at about 35-40k€ apiece).

That said, if I got one (and a soundproofed cabinet to put it in, and to exchange the 300W - 1kW thermal output without creating a sauna), I'd definitely continue developing materials physics simulator core tech for sure.  (I'm leaving this here just in case someone rich ever decides to fund such development.  There hasn't been any real software-side advancements in the last twenty years, so such development might actually make a difference in the energy use and emissions output compared to simulations run.  My own focus was allowing simultaenous communication and computation, so that comms latencies would not delay the computation, as well as efficient data structures optimized for cache locality and SIMD.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 08:54:37 pm by Nominal Animal »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2023, 09:25:36 pm »
The reason you get asked what your actual use case is, is because the answer to that is required before one can make any kind of sensible suggestions.

If you asked people here to help you pick a multimeter, the first thing they're going to ask you is what do you need to use it for? What features matter to you? What is your budget?

You guys dance the same steps yet sing different songs.

In both cases, it's simple.  You want a multimeter to do measuring shit and a server to do server shit. By simplifying the use case, you keep turning me into the intentional vagueness asshole.  It's not, my requirements are extremely direct.  The responses are wispy.

So like I want a fast car.  What kind?  Late model, 2016 on.  What are you going to do?  Shit you do with fast cars.  Ya but do you need handling, I mean, like track?  Ya, maybe, sure. Ok, but power?  Ya, lots, loud, LOUD. But do you have a gorillion rubles?  No, no. I need something maintainable, I'm not stupid.  So you understand you can do all this with a nitro kit and a 1993 Honda Civic? Ya. I want a good fast car though. But the gas? I can pay.

Asks question...

dude 1: AMG merc. 

dude 2: M1 and M2s can be had, does size matter? 

dude 3: Get a GTR.

^ This is what I was expecting.  You guys turned into a bunch of weenies on me.  A dude wants to buy a cool server and oh god the electric bills. WTF.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2023, 09:27:30 pm »
Looking for a server, but the landscape out there is pretty vast and there are a lot of acronyms I don't know anymore  :palm:

What is the best used I can get for eBay scale money?  I can modify the server for most any need, so the most solid basic platform is primary, so what should we grab before Dave reviews one?

I plan to install Linux, which shouldn't matter but is germane.
These days, it looks like one of your best bets is to go for a X99 platform with one (or several if you can find a multi-CPU one) Xeon E5 v4 (Broadwell EP). DDR4 ECC is surprisingly "cheap" at the moment, so you can get comfy amounts of RAM for not too much.

Just a suggestion, there are probably alternatives.

Thats a bit too basic, thats just a regular PC motherboard.  I want the full capabilities of a server.

You didn't state your requirements, so how would we know. But you said dirt cheap, so that gave a hint?

But it's definitely not a basic platform. Many servers have been based on this platform a few years ago.
With Xeon processors of this generation, they support up to 1.5TB of DDR4 ECC RAM, up to 22 cores/processor, and you can find dual-CPU motherboards for reasonable prices.
A dual Xeon E5 2699v4 or something like that will give you 44 cores/88 threads and will outperfom even a Threadripper except for the top of the line at nearly $8000 each. ::)
All this with potentially a gigantic amount of RAM.

Tell us this is too basic. :-DD

Thank you.  This is the kind if insight I am missing.  This is the kind of server that has that really snappy feeling, everything is very instant.  Its one of the pleasures of working directly on a server, how fast it is.

I am going to research this a bit, thank you for straitening me out on it :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2023, 09:41:05 pm »
You guys dance the same steps yet sing different songs.

In both cases, it's simple.  You want a multimeter to do measuring shit and a server to do server shit. By simplifying the use case, you keep turning me into the intentional vagueness asshole.  It's not, my requirements are extremely direct.  The responses are wispy.

So like I want a fast car.  What kind?  Late model, 2016 on.  What are you going to do?  Shit you do with fast cars.  Ya but do you need handling, I mean, like track?  Ya, maybe, sure. Ok, but power?  Ya, lots, loud, LOUD. But do you have a gorillion rubles?  No, no. I need something maintainable, I'm not stupid.  So you understand you can do all this with a nitro kit and a 1993 Honda Civic? Ya. I want a good fast car though. But the gas? I can pay.

Asks question...

dude 1: AMG merc. 

dude 2: M1 and M2s can be had, does size matter? 

dude 3: Get a GTR.

^ This is what I was expecting.  You guys turned into a bunch of weenies on me.  A dude wants to buy a cool server and oh god the electric bills. WTF.

No dude, you're being vague, you just don't get it, if you ask for a vehicle again people are going to want to know what you need it for. Is it any use if one guy tells you to get a M2, another tells you to get a GTR, one suggests a Prius, another suggests an F150 pickup, someone suggests a Civic, what use is any of that advice? Those are all good choices, depending on your needs. If your only criteria is "a vehicle" and "cheap" then I'm just going to say go look at the listings and sort by price.

Servers are not like cars, they're not sold based on style, there are not a lot of unique features, they're not entertainment devices, they're just computers, and if you bothered to read the responses I suggested Dell and posted an ebay link, is that not good enough? If you want it narrowed down further then tell us what features are important to you. It's very likely that nobody here has an attachment to any particular model, it just doesn't matter, they're all the same.

Anyway, welcome to my ignore list, I won't burden you any further with my attempts to help. It's clearly a waste of time, it's starting to feel like you're just trolling.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2023, 09:42:29 pm »
Thank you.  This is the kind if insight I am missing.  This is the kind of server that has that really snappy feeling, everything is very instant.  Its one of the pleasures of working directly on a server, how fast it is.

You are so totally clueless, I don't think you have ever worked with any kind of server. Everything is very instant? The HP servers we had at a former job took 10 minutes just to POST and boot.

The following users thanked this post: sleemanj, M0HZH, retiredfeline, shapirus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2023, 09:47:28 pm »
... Threadripper ...
AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5995WX (64-core Zen3, 280W TDP) costs about 7500 € here, and compatible desktop-type (single processor, 8 DIMM slots) motherboards 900-1400 €.  256 Gt (8×32 Gt) of DDR4 3200MHz adds about 1200 €.  Say, 10-11k€ for a non-rack version, 10-15k for a rack version.

This is not a "server".  It is a "server-class" or "server-type" machine suitable for specific tasks, and is only cost-effective for some.

I'm not 100% certain about the memory bandwidth for generic virtualization server (running a number of virtualized client OS images for server-type tasks), and personally would only consider one for dedicated simulations requiring double-precision floating-point arithmetic with very large datasets; especially with 2/4/8 PCIe-based SSDs in sw-RAID0 configuration for storage.  Dalton, VASP, LAMMPS and Gromacs users with larger molecules and systems to simulate would love one, although many would still ask for CUDA (maybe a pair of Nvidia Hopper H100 cards, at about 35-40k€ apiece).

That said, if I got one (and a soundproofed cabinet to put it in, and to exchange the 300W - 1kW thermal output without creating a sauna), I'd definitely continue developing materials physics simulator core tech for sure.  (I'm leaving this here just in case someone rich ever decides to fund such development.  There hasn't been any real software-side advancements in the last twenty years, so such development might actually make a difference in the energy use and emissions output compared to simulations run.  My own focus was allowing simultaenous communication and computation, so that comms latencies would not delay the computation, as well as efficient data structures optimized for cache locality and SIMD.)

What you are looking for does not sound that out of reach.  In 5 or 6 years that generation becomes affordable at the hobbyist level.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2023, 09:48:24 pm »
You are so totally clueless, I don't think you have ever worked with any kind of server. Everything is very instant? The HP servers we had at a former job took 10 minutes just to POST and boot.

And I'm the one trolling...

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2023, 10:02:39 pm »
The HP servers we had at a former job took 10 minutes just to POST and boot.
I feel your pain indeed.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2023, 10:17:25 pm »
You guys turned into a bunch of weenies on me.
Once more to the ignore list, ahoy!

Having been paid to build rack servers and clusters, install them, manage and administer them for years, and even to create a dedicated automagic Linux MD simulation USB distro/stick to evaluate the computational capabilities of a compute cluster node offerings by vendors like HP, Dell, et. al. for an actual university computing cluster purchase, I do believe I could have provided some interesting information and at least anecdotal experience to mapleLC.  Pity they consider anyone who knows more than themselves a "weenie".

I bet USD $5 mapleLC didn't bother to even read my reply #32 before labeling me as a "weenie".  Any takers?  Ignore list members don't qualify, obviously.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2023, 10:23:19 pm »
The thing that becomes apparent to anyone that actually works with these things is on the surface you can't really tell whether you're connected to a Raspberry Pi or the latest 16 core Xeon with 64GB of RAM. Almost always to interact with the system you're SSH'd into a command line terminal, these days usually into a virtual machine running in on whatever hardware happens to be hosting it, many times the physical hardware is not even on premise and you don't know or care where or what it is. Servers are computers like any other, they are typically representative of the top of the line at the time they are made, but once they are a few years old they are nothing special anymore. My current laptop is more powerful than the biggest baddest servers we had at the last job where I had any direct contact with servers, and a Raspberry Pi is more powerful than the high end servers we had when I started my career. I still have a few old Sun Netra sparc servers kicking around here that are roughly equivalent to the first generation RPi, except they are larger and use at least 10 times as much power. In actual use you can't tell the difference, linux is linux is linux. The hardware is essentially irrelevant. I keep the old Sun sparc boxes around because I have a nostalgic soft spot for them but I haven't fired them up in years, they just don't do anything that my more modern hardware can't do better. I used to have some IBM and HP 2U xeon servers but I gave them away years ago, again there wasn't anything they could do that smaller, quieter computers I had couldn't.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, Nominal Animal, retiredfeline

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2023, 10:57:20 pm »

Yup.

"Snappy"? Servers have SLOOOW CPUs .. they just have lots of cores. And/or lots of disk or RAM.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2023, 10:58:42 pm »

And I'm the one trolling...

Indeed so.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2023, 11:13:57 pm »

What full capabilities? What, exactly, does a server do that you need?

What do you want people to suggest one machine over another for? Differences between hardware RAID controllers? How good the BMC interface is? POST time? Whether they're more readily available with 2.5" bays or 3.5" bays? Types of PCIe riser for expansion options?
What are you actually looking to do beyond execute unspecified code?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 11:19:33 pm by Monkeh »

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2023, 12:11:18 am »
OP:
Do you mean, something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115524204908?epid=1554622390&hash=item1ae5c7796c:g:vLMAAOSwoQZjH3mV

Or like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115598527180?hash=item1aea358acc:g:4-wAAOSwZgFjbBoQ

These 2, yes.  They are in the ball park.  I was looking at these Fujitsu's but they seem expensive in comparison.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185713190070

This Cisco also...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234727734117

Or this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115708585370?epid=1154505126&hash=item1af0c4e59a:g:XNUAAOSwYHVj~Oax

I can get what I need for less.

The potential advantages of going for a main-stream, popular/common server type/make, such as Dell or HP.  Is you are more likely to find software/drivers, replacement/upgrade parts (some of which is custom and can't come from other computers), google-able/youtube help, and more likely to find help when/if asking on the appropriate forums, if necessary.

Also bios upgrades (if needed), are more likely to be available, although I think HP get funny and may insist on a service subscription or some nonsense like that.  Which may make you avoid them.

There can be, really cheap (apparently identically spec'ed), less common server makes.  But they can end up biting you on the nose, in various ways.  Such as that their spare parts are harder to get, especially quickly, information can be harder to come by and drivers (software) support, can be much more sketchy.

Servers can be much, much more fussy and fiddly than normal PCs.  Things which would have readily worked on a PC, may not be supported on some/all servers.  They are potentially much less plug and play, than PCs.  There are many gotchas, for the unwary.

Ideally, get just about everything you need, in the original server purchase.  Which should solve compatibility issues.

They are more tricky to upgrade (unless you have lots of experience with them), there can be little physical room to expand them (rack ones), and may need special PCI/cards, to fit in a rack case.

You ideally need to decide if you need/want, certain server features.  Such as remote (network) management ports (BMI/IPMI/etc), SATA and/or SAS disks, hardware raid (differing types), how much ECC ram (it often seems to be cheaper to get the right amount of ram, from the beginning), and other stuff, such as graphics cards (and/or professional computation/AI ones), if required.

They often DON'T include the hard disk caddies, which can be an annoying extra cost.

Later servers, would be more inclined to offer better SSD drive support.

Dual power-supplies, was for the original high availability use of the servers.  For light home casual use, a single power supply may be fine.

1U (small height) servers, tend to be extremely noisy.  Even if in a room/place, well away from people, just working near it for brief periods, can still be very annoying/distracting.  It literally can sound like a jet-aircraft is taking off in the room (REALLY!).

2U (partly taller) servers, are usually a lot quieter, as they have bigger fans, that don't need to spin up to such high RPMs.  But they can still be quite noisy.

You can now get rather modern tiny/small, powerful, lots of Ethernet connections, servers.  With super-fast M.2 SSDs.

You can get numerous specifications, prices etc, so don't panic.

Here is an example:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 12:15:43 am by MK14 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf