Author Topic: Discord audio conference software  (Read 1222 times)

Offline soldarTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Discord audio conference software
« on: September 15, 2019, 10:25:08 am »
I have first heard of this Discord audio conference software. It seems it was started for use by gamers but it has become more mainstream. I understand it runs on Windows, Linux, Android, iOS and that is the main reason I am interested. My interest is only to use it as audio conference with one other user. I would like to hear from those who have used it and know it.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Discord audio conference software
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 02:48:25 pm »
It has become pretty popular. It has even swept away a fraction of IRC users, which is no small feat. ;D

I personally don't like it for various reasons, and would suggest Teamspeak for your use case. https://www.teamspeak.com/en/

It's much cleaner and safer IMO. Both Discord and Teamspeak have proprietary licenses, but those are pretty liberal for individuals and small teams. I just would trust Teamspeak much more. Also, last I tried Discord, the app was much more ressource-hungry.

Just my opinion.

Offline soldarTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 09:24:12 am »
I personally don't like it for various reasons, and would suggest Teamspeak for your use case. https://www.teamspeak.com/en/

Thanks for your input. I have looked into teamspeak but I am unclear on some things. It says you do not need to log into their servers, which I take is a good thing. OTOH it says you need to run your own server which sounds more complicated than is worth. Could you help clarify this?

Also, I cannot determine if it will work with Win XP PRO SP3. Software download pages used to state very clearly what the requirements were but I find that more recently they just say "Windows". How can I know?
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 03:21:40 pm »
XP... damn. That's pretty old. ;D Works fine on Win 7/64 and Linux.

So, I don't know, but you can try installing the client. It's not heavy-weight. It won't blow up in your face.
You can also take a look there:
https://support.teamspeakusa.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/10/english
https://forum.teamspeak.com/

You don't have to setup your own server if you don't want to, you can use theirs. I trust it more than I trust Skype or Discord. You can read the FAQ/Help/Forum to get more info.
You can try it quick. The default server is: voice.teamspeak.com. Once you're connected, you can talk/text message others that are connected (as guests). Then there are additional steps you can take to register/create new channels/etc.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:23:41 pm by SiliconWizard »

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 05:29:59 pm »
If you do sign up for discord there is an unwritten rule that you must have an anime profile picture and be a weeb, so keep that in mind. My username is スメグマ#2236 if you want to add me.
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 07:45:37 pm »
If you do sign up for discord there is an unwritten rule that you must have an anime profile picture and be a weeb, so keep that in mind. My username is スメグマ#2236 if you want to add me.

;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf